Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RHR spiked after one night of drinking-still hasn't come down

Normally my RHR is in the high 40's-50...but it spiked up to the mid-high 50's after a night of drinking last weekend at a wedding.  I get why it did because alcohol causes the HR to increase...but I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since that day, I went back into my normal healthy eating and workout routine (I work out 6 days a week, and the "off day" I make sure to get 10K steps in by walking so I'm not being a total slacker!) and my RHR still hasn't come down...and it's been a week!!  And unfortunately I find this affects my calories burned during workouts...when my RHR spikes I burn less calories during my workouts, making them less efficient/effective.  For example, I did a spin class today that I can normally burn at least 300 calories in...today I had to pedal through the cooldown/stretch or I would not have even gotten close.  (And I was definitely working hard during the class!)  This is all very frustrating and I don't want to have to restrict my food more to make up for the lack of calorie burn...anyone know how I can get my RHR to get back down so my workouts can do their job?  Thanks in advance...

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@lmk_nyc,

The simple answer is you damaged something enough to need repair. Or perhaps, you picked up the beginnings of a cold, flu, or other illness your body is fighting off. 

I suggest eating a serving of whole fruit before every meal. No juices or smoothies. This will probably resolve the problem within a week. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

your RHR is affected by so many factors the wedding drinking was probably a coincidence. if there is spike in heat or humidity your RHR will go up. If it get colder than it has been, your RHR goes up. If you have allergies, cold or taking any kind of meds even tylenol your RHR can go up. Although drinking does increase RHR unless you are drinking moderate to heavy all through out the week without a break, your increased RHR is more than likely not residual of last weekend. I am also confused about your comment that an elevated RHR burns fewer calories. It is actually the opposite. the faster your heart is beating, the more you are burning- think about it from a walk to run comparison. Folks who have a naturally slow heart have to work harder to get their pulse rate up which then burns more calories- fat burn to cardio to peak..

If you are concerned about it, I would call your doctor just so they can give you peace of mind that you are OK... 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer