Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help to gain weight.

My husband, 64,  used to eat over 5000 calories a day. He weighed a healthy 208 pounds, body builder muscles, the same as he weighed in highschool.

He had an accident 4 years ago and lost 54 pounds in 10 days while in a coma. Skin and bone, zero muscles when discharged. He had only been able to gain 20 pounds back. 

He has a very physical job and works non stop. He burns an average of 4000 calories per day but is not consuming enough to even maintain his weight let alone add.

Any suggestions on getting his calorie intake up? Food that he can consume while working?

He is getting weaker and tired. There is no way to slow him down. I'm desperate for advice.

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Boost makes a very high calorie version, 530 calories in 8 oz. I imagine a bit like sucking up melted ice cream --  if you can get it down a few times a day, convenient 'juice pack' bricks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found this site that might help you.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-gain-weight

Stuff you can eat while working to gain weight might be nuts,trail mix, cheese,peanut butter. Protein bars maybe.

Best Answer

The numbers don’t seem to add up: I fail to see how anyone could lose a quarter of their weight in just ten days, even if left with no food at all (I’m quite sure your husband must have been fed and hydrated while hospitalized in coma). Likewise, I fail to see how someone who lost 54 pounds in ten days would only manage to gain 20 pounds over the course of four years. If the obvious advice (to eat more food, especially of the calorie-dense sort) doesn’t help, I would suggest your husband seeks medical attention. At least he’s able to work (and in a physically demanding job), and at 208 - 54 + 20 = 174 lbs, he can’t be in such a bad place (given the prevailing obesity epidemics).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gmom66 considering what he has been through, I am certain he has a physician he can turn to. I would ask for advice in this circumstance from someone who is actually licensed to help. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Hi there,

Really sorry to hear about his accident. That sucks.

Personally when I was gaining, I used the following:

https://www.grenade.com/uk/muscle-machine-mass

50g of protien and (what your after) 1000 calories per serving.

Amazing stuff.

Thanks, hope it helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The numbers are a little unusual in the OP, so it's difficult to say. Regardless the methods for gaining weight will be about the same..

If he can do dairy, drink milk, then whole milk, then melted ice cream.

Sandwiches with 5 slices of bread, and a thick layer of peanut butter in between each slice.

Buffets and All-You-Can-Eat deals. An extra large pizza once a week.

We have a whole sub-forum here dedicated to weight management, that has some good threads about gaining weight. Check it out.

With such a quick weight loss and slow weight gain, getting a doctor's opinion is definitely recommended.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, I was shocked to hear about you. Hopefully you can find a solution to the link I'm sharing with you. https://www.healthspeech.com/how-to-gain-weight/

What you will find out when you visit this link
1) What is weight gain
2) Why weight gain is essential
3) What is involuntary weight gain
4) How to gain weight
    4.1) Healthy diet plan
    4.2) Physical workout:
    4.3) Develop good habits and avoid the bad

Best Answer
0 Votes

This article is very helpful to your weight gain

healthy fitness