Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many Step Per Day for Upper Body Exercises Only

I had foot surgery this week and I am seeking advise on how many steps I should aim to reach per week with upper body only exercise.  What do you think would be the equivalent of the walking 10,000 steps per day goal?  I do know and have upper body exercises I am just curious as to what goal in step amounts I should aim for as 10,000 doesn't appear attainable in only upper body/non weight wearing exercise. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@Carleecat,

In my opinion, looking for equivalents to steps is the wrong metric. If you have a heart rate monitor, strive to burn the same number of calories you were burning before the surgery. You can use the workout function to check how many calories you burn with each activity.

Weight lifting is virtually useless for burning calories, but it is important for other reasons. This would be a good time to learn more about it. Meanwhile, restrict your calories to no less than your basal metabolic rate. 

If you can put weight on the foot, this is a good time to catch up on any housecleaning. Painting is also a good activity. 

Best Answer

hey there.. are you asking from the perspective of active minutes or calories burned? Those are the only two possible equivalents that I can think of which are not realistic. Unless you are doing some form of cardio whether its through steady state or HIIT, your active minutes and calorie burn are not going to differ very much from what you would burn with 0 activity. However, still working out while recuperating is extremely important. First it will prevent you from losing your workout mojo, second it will prevent your body from getting lazy and forgetting how to be active. Recuperate fully, don't worry about the steps and build up your overall strength... that would be my advice to you... for what it's worth.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer