Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-smoker trying to run.

ANSWERED

I quit smoking 20 weeks ago, and started running. I struggled with my lungs for awhile. Tough time catching my breath, I am at a point now that I am past that, but still have not been able to run a mile ( not even a half mile). I don't think it is my lungs or my body giving out , I do believe it is my mind that gives up. Has anyone experienced this and can I have some tips at getting past it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I quit smoking 8 years ago. I was a moderate smoker. I started running three years ago and I just went for it one day. I made myself run for as long as I could without feeling like I was going to die. Whatever that point was, I ran to it for the next two weeks. Then I would go a little further, over time a little faster. If you are not gasping for breath, your heart isn't jumping out of chest and you aren't aching, make yourself go to the next marker from wherever you would be inclined to stop. Next light, stop sign, tree, blue house, tan SUV, whatever it is that is a little further. Next time a little further and so on. If its physical, stop and walk to the next marker and run again.  

Elena | Pennsylvania

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I have no experience with this, but if you know exactly where the half mile mark is, try a different route where you don't know. Our minds can be very powerful and play very powerful tricks on us. Play some music to distract you with a good beat and don't check your wearables (though one). Try just to go with the idea of having fun and not so controlled of how far and how long you are going to run. Just curious of how far you can go this time and you might surprise yourself.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

How long did you smoke before you quit?

You may want to talk to your doctor as you may have some form of exercise induced asthma created by the damage that you did to your lungs.

Best Answer

Getting back into running can be tough, even for non-smokers and people who don’t carry extra weight. For a smoker (or ex-smoker) and/or someone heavy, it’s even tougher. There’s a reason why there are things like the Couch to 5k Plan, or Jeff Galloway’s Run-Walk-Run. Introduce running progressively, starting with short intervals of gentle jogging, and increasing length and pace little by little. It’s perfectly OK to alternate between walking and running.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

What Dominique said.

From experience, I was a heavy smoker (pack+/day) for roughly 10 years and have been clean for almost 11 years.  I do a ton of cardio and still hack up a lung afterwards.  My doc provided me with a rescue inhaler that I use before any workout and that seems to help quite a bit..  

I know the info out there that provides a timeline of what you get back physically.  In my experience, I doubt I'll ever get back to the point I was before I started smoking.

Best Answer

I quit smoking 8 years ago. I was a moderate smoker. I started running three years ago and I just went for it one day. I made myself run for as long as I could without feeling like I was going to die. Whatever that point was, I ran to it for the next two weeks. Then I would go a little further, over time a little faster. If you are not gasping for breath, your heart isn't jumping out of chest and you aren't aching, make yourself go to the next marker from wherever you would be inclined to stop. Next light, stop sign, tree, blue house, tan SUV, whatever it is that is a little further. Next time a little further and so on. If its physical, stop and walk to the next marker and run again.  

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer