Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a person average 80,000 steps in a day?

ANSWERED

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

Best Answer
801 REPLIES 801
I think they're saying this bc in our group is it possible to get 20k in 1 hour if you have bad knees and don't run..but this is in my group. They never say what they did and they sure don't look healthy lol. You on the other hand I believe your steps all that physical activity you do
Best Answer
0 Votes

@mariai wrote:
in our group is it possible to get 20k in 1 hour

Even if Usain Bolt could sprint for one hour at the same world record speed he sustains on 100 meters (less than 10 seconds) or 200 meters (less than 20 seconds), he still wouldn’t get 20k steps. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry Mariai, but those prople would have to average 333 steps per minute, highly improbable! 

Best Answer

@mariai wrote:
I think they're saying this bc in our group is it possible to get 20k in 1 hour if you have bad knees and don't run..but this is in my group. They never say what they did and they sure don't look healthy lol. You on the other hand I believe your steps all that physical activity you do

Anyone who claims they can log 20,000 steps in one hour is A) a bold face liar, B) doesn't understand the physics of a step, regardless of whether it is walking or running, or C) a cheater (operating a jackhammer or some such).

Best Answer

gotta love those hamsters!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's quite some steps I see here - and with badges and friendly challenges, we'll be seeing more and more :). I still have some way to go to 80,000 (I'd need the whole week dedicated for this!) - from one point it's not so much about the physical fitness, but about finding the actual time to run / walk. My sustained average is only around 28,000 (did right about 10 miliion for the whole year).

Most Steps in a Day Most Steps in a Week Most Steps in a Month Longest Goal Streak

160,076  Jun 15, 2016 
415,800  Aug 24 - Aug 30, 2015 
1,158,922  Oct 2015 
33 days  Apr 2 - May 4, 2015
Best Answer

@MihaiMVP wrote:

That's quite some steps I see here - and with badges and friendly challenges, we'll be seeing more and more :). I still have some way to go to 80,000 (I'd need the whole week dedicated for this!) - from one point it's not so much about the physical fitness, but about finding the actual time to run / walk. My sustained average is only around 28,000 (did right about 10 miliion for the whole year).

Most Steps in a Day Most Steps in a Week Most Steps in a Month Longest Goal Streak

160,076  Jun 15, 2016 
415,800  Aug 24 - Aug 30, 2015 
1,158,922  Oct 2015 
33 days  Apr 2 - May 4, 2015

You managed 160,000+ steps in one day?  That equates to roughly 80 walking miles or about 106 running miles; how did you find the time to put in that many miles in a 24  hour period?  Can you post images of your walking/running routes, and the graphs of your steps and heart rate?  I'd love to see how you accomplished such a huge feat.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you shipo!

Not sure if this link works, https://connect.garmin.com/modern/daily-summary/MihaiPantis/2016-06-15/steps, I pretty much spent the whole day moving across Italy. I only took short breaks for snacks and drinks. 

This was part of an ambitious attempt - to cross Italy from coast to coast, a so called "race" with 3 participants including myself:

https://www.strava.com/activities/611471680

https://www.strava.com/activities/611471820

But the race has been called of (I was the last man standing and it was actually the organizer who stopped me 🙂 ). 

(https://connect.garmin.com/modern/daily-summary/MihaiPantis/2016-06-11/steps)

Well, I came back ...

https://www.strava.com/activities/611471719

https://www.strava.com/activities/611471818

https://www.strava.com/activities/611471777

In a month I'll participate in a one month team charity step challenge and I am targeting about 45,000 / day.

Best Answer

Good stuff @MihaiMVP, thanks for sharing the links!  🙂

Best Answer
I havent but to meet the cardio minimum my Dr. Has set for me I sometimes
hit 30,0000 but usually am in the low to mid 20's. This requires 2.5 to 3
hours on the treadmill. But I have genetic super high cholesterol and
triglycerides so last year they had to give me lots of stents (20 inches
worth).
I can't sustain more than 3.7 or 3.8 mph for more than a min. Or so.
Fortunately I am retired but it still feels like I'm a hamster on a wheel.
Or a shark who must swim or die. This greatly impacts my and my husband's
life.

I have no clue how people reach those daily highs! Perhaps they run or
speed walk.

Realistically most of us will never do that. Plus our own goals and
accomplishments are what's important. What they do has zero impact on
yours or my life.

Be proud of yourself, accept the support of friends, forgive yourself on
days you aren't where you want to be but use the accomplishments of those
like you for motivation.

Happy trails:glowing_star:
Best Answer
0 Votes
I think the numbers are for best days,weeks and months. They make sense to
me that way.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Wishing you the best.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Haha people actually do that? That totally defeats the purpose of having a fitbit in the first place. I guess at least you know your dogs not gonna be fat? lol

Best Answer

Indeed, these numbers were for best day / week / month, with the caveat they ran for specific intervals (midnight to midnight, Monday to Sunday). My highest 30-day is most likely mid September to mid October - around 1.25 M.

Best Answer
Makes sense. I think the numbers people question are the over the top
totals everyday.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I attempted the white mountains 100. A ski, bike, run ultra in Alaskas interior. Beautiful place. Anyways I managed to cover 40 miles (before scratching) plus pre/post milling around. I hit 80,000+ that day. Pretty cool.
Best Answer
Forgot to mention I was walking with a 20 lb. pack. It was semi soft mashed up trail (as I was in last place basically. Covered the 40 miles in just over 12 hours. Again, pretty cool.
Good call shipo.. Ask the tough questions.
Best Answer
0 Votes

That made me laugh 🙂 Do they really clip it to their dog or ceiling fan? 🙂 Oh my goodness 🙂 

Best Answer
My thought was attached to hamster on its wheel😉
Best Answer
0 Votes

First, get less than 8 hours of sleep 🙂

Second,  split workouts, run 15 miles in the AM before work, walk for lunch(breakfast and dinner too, never sit down), run 15 miles after work, make up the rest before bed-time.

Third, run an ultra on the weekend to have at least 1 100K+ day.

Fourth - GO REALLY SLOW(you need to be able to do it again tomorrow) and have no other distractions in your life. You will have to do about 5 miles for every 10K steps, so 40 miles for 80K and 50 for 100K.

OR

you could just do what others have done... get a drill, ceiling fan, bike wheel, hamster cage, clothes dryer, pendlum, ect... and attach your fitbit. I am in a comp now with about 500 other ppl and I have stopped looking at others numbers because I don't want to think nasty things(I would love to be able to run with them for a week but it is a global thing). STRAVA and pictures or it didn't happen 🙂

Best Answer