Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a person average 80,000 steps in a day?

ANSWERED

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

Best Answer
801 REPLIES 801

To me, I use basic common sense.  If my body says, "Hey, no walking today!"  I listen.  I pop open a beer, or pour myself a scotch and enjoy an evening relaxing.

Otherwise, I would take a walk or 2 around the neighborhood.  One of my favorite activities is taking a walk with my 4 year old son to the corner to get him an ice cream cone.  The other day we were hunting down an ice cream truck.  We heard the tell-tale music and tried to follow it by ear.  It took us 6 blocks to find it and to him, that was one of the greatest achievements in his life.  He was so tired from the adventure that I had to give him a piggy back ride back home.

That one adventrure was a 7k step trip.  Without my son with me, I could have done probably 10 or 11 thousand.  But I would easily trade those steps for the time I had with him.  

My point is, that if I wanted to, I can hit 50k a day with the correct discipline.  80k would be hard.  To those who say they are doing this, how much of that time would have been better spent with loved ones and actually living life?

Best Answer

Amen!

Best Answer

I agree.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you think this is a joking matter you must think you are invincible and indestructable, so go ahead hit 50K, 60K, 70K steps in a day, you obviously don't know about joint kinematics, joint metaboilism and what overly steressing joints does to the it's hyalin cartliage.

Best Answer

@Corney wrote:

If you think this is a joking matter you must think you are invincible and indestructable, so go ahead hit 50K, 60K, 70K steps in a day, you obviously don't know about joint kinematics, joint metaboilism and what overly steressing joints does to the it's hyalin cartliage.

I like to challenge myself and hit certain benchmarks just like most people.  Hell, on several occasions I have decided to do 100k steps in a day.  Now that was an all day venture and in small doses can be very entertaining, but it does hurt.  I enjoyed that personal challenge, but people who are doing this "on the daily" are high on something.

Best Answer

You are absolutely correct, unfortunately later in life these 50K a day steppers will findout if you play you will certainly pay!

Best Answer
0 Votes

anything that moves, at least that I can think of right now, like you said will fail eventually, just a matter of time, it could break tomorrow, it could last your whole lifetime, but if it could be passed onto someone else to use, it will eventually break

I've already started eating/drinking healthy, just the losing weight part now, so I can enjoy later life, 80k? no thanks, I want to lose weight not kill myself

Best Answer

Pick-Me-Up.jpg

Best Answer

lol think I save that on my phone just incase 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

Everything should be done in moderation. Even healthy activities like walking.

I know people who overdue everything when it comes to " healthy-lifestyle ".

They starve themselve to death, they don't touch meat anymore, they walk very long distances and run for ridiculous long hours.

If you see them, you think they escaped a North-Korean political-prisoner camp, but you would never believe them to live healthy ( as they claim ).

So finally, if you overdue, you lose. Many people seem to have a general issue of understanding the terms " balanced " and " moderation " when it comes to diets and fitness.

I never understood what is so hard about eating a balanced diet and doing sport in moderation but still challenging yourself. But no, it always has to be a radical 2 months diet eating fruits only, or someone going full vegetarian, or someone going for 4-8 hour runs everyday.

Humans................

Best Answer

For years I've been saying, "I don't run and exercise to have a beautiful body, I do it so I can eat whatever I darn well please."  🙂

Best Answer

Just because you might stay " fit " doesn't mean your body is healthy. You can still suffer artery issues or a bad liver.

Better keep it healthy mate.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Probably explains why my RHR hovers around 41. 😛
Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally agree, It's not how they average those steps, It's WHY?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't think these people are cheating, but I don't think they're healthy, either. They likely have dimentia and forgot that they already got their steps in. 

For me, I don't think I've ever exceeded 25k in a day. For a time,  I was averaging 15k daily, but now I'm lucky to get 5k in a day with this sedentary job. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer
0 Votes

Once again I totally agree with you and John Cleese.  I've stated facts concerning over use injuries, but I doubt very few of these steppers feel that it applies to them, but unfortunately it will all catch up with them sooner or later!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Shipo, did you know that RHR below 60 BPM is technically termed Bradycardia, 41 BPM is defintely at the low end of what is termed acceptible.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yup, going all of the way back to high school in the early 1970s (when my RHR was routinely in the low 30s, dipping into the high 20s upon occasion) I've had doctors to try and put me in the hospital.  Basically, I've had exercise induced Bradycardia since, I don't know, maybe birth, well, maybe not *quite* that far back. 🙂

In more recent times I have allowed my doctors to run me through a series of EKGs and such; they all come out showing everything in order, in spite of my low heart rate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@shipo I will join you in the low RHR, mine gets to about 49 but when I'm asleep it drifts down to 41. Doctors have examined me as well because I occasionally I have the "missing heart beat", genetic for me plus exercise related. A couple of weeks ago my GP thought he heard a systolic noise... off to the cardiologist again for an echocardiogram.. All clear.. A few years ago they also tested my blood flow and that was nearly double other tests he had performed.. So at 76 I'm ahead, no dizzies etc, sleep well

It does get humorous because last year I had a total hip replacement (born with longer leg and caused erosion of the cartilage).. Nothing to do with Fitbit . I was discussing the HR with the Surgeon and the Anaesthetist after they did their ECG's etc and they both said.. We wont let you die, we will be monitoring your HR all the time. I had never had anaesthetic before...Smiley Happy

@shipo wrote:

Yup, going all of the way back to high school in the early 1970s (when my RHR was routinely in the low 30s, dipping into the high 20s upon occasion) I've had doctors to try and put me in the hospital.  Basically, I've had exercise induced Bradycardia since, I don't know, maybe birth, well, maybe not *quite* that far back. 🙂

In more recent times I have allowed my doctors to run me through a series of EKGs and such; they all come out showing everything in order, in spite of my low heart rate.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Glad to hear that

Best Answer
0 Votes