Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a person average 80,000 steps in a day?

ANSWERED

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

Best Answer
801 REPLIES 801

@JoanneBrink wrote:
I suspect they may be cheating! There are methods to cheat but honestly you are only cheating yourself! We have someone who got 50k a day and does not jog or run! Hard to believe!

I am an LSD runner (Long Slow Distance), even then I've only managed over 50,000 steps in a 24 hour period once, and that was in a Reach the Beach relay competition while competing on an "Ultra team" (i.e. a 6-person team completing 200+ miles in a little over 24 hours; our team took just over 26).  In that 24 hour period I ran about 33 miles, walked quite a few more to and from the team van to the transition areas to cheer on my team mates, and in the end finished with almost exactly 55,000 steps.

Long story short, for a person to "average 80,000 steps in a day", they're either cheating, or they're a world class athelete in the midst of a very heavy training schedule.  I know which scenario I'd bet on.

Best Answer

Insanity, sorry!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I recall a collegiate runner who qualified for the U.S. Olympic marathon team who's training regimem included running 20 miles everyday.  The editors of Runners World were very skeptical of this regimem, it turns out they were right.  He broke down midway during the marathon never finished and was never heard from again.  There may be ultra-marathoners who average 75K steps per day, but their longevity is short lived. As a retired Physical Therapist with 38 years experience treating clients with degenerative joint disease of the feet, ankles, knees and hips. I will guarantee that later in life they will all pay for the foolishness they do today.  In my younger days as a runner I thought I was invincible, but later I found out that I was not!  Thankfully I found out before I did irreparable harm to my body that I was not invincible, because I listened to my body.  Today, I still exercise, but I use equipment that creates less stress on my feet, knees and hips, but still maintain a high level of aerobic fitness.  Alas, I wish I was alot younger, still a Physical Therapist and could witness the harm these 50K fools have done to what they hold dear, their body.

Best Answer

I know there are a lot of folks in the medical industry which very firmly believe long term running will (as opposed to "may") lead to some form of disability which will end the runner's days of running.  That said, I have heard of a number of recent studies of older runners (50-70 years of age at the inception of the various studies) where the incidence of joint and connective tissue degeneration is markedly lower than the general population.

To be sure there are some folks who seem to suffer from the rigors brought on by running, however, there are folks who seem to be able to run for virtually their entire active lives without any undue degeneration.  I personally know a number of folks well into their 70s who have raced most of their life, have no joint issues, and are looking forward to decades of running in their futures.  The most impressive is a woman I met two years ago, her name is Jan, 70 years old, and finished a 5-mile race (not a 5K) in just over 38 minutes!

Best Answer

I just stumbled across a link to an article which broaches the subject of running late into life.

If I recall correctly, the most convincing study dealing with older runners I've come across was done in Finland some time in the last decade; if I can find a link to it, I'll be sure to post it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would say depends on how they run, weight etc, lots of factors to take into consideration including eating, how much vitamins etc

Someone eating healthily is going to have better bones/health or at least should, than someone who eats junk food, drinks pop and does no exercise, although genetics does come into play

Now some say too much calcium is bad for you....

One minute it is one thing, next is another..... Wish they would make their minds up

Although I try to do 40k a day, I try to spread it out the whole day and not in a few hours
Best Answer
0 Votes
Another thing about using a wrist pedometer is that even if you are stood still, if you are say cooking, because you are moving your arms, it will still count as steps

Granted nothing you can do about that, so those that have high daily steps may not even be doing it on purpose

If I were to have worn one back when I was a cook in a fast food joint, my steps would have been insanely high, due to being very busy and constantly moving my arms, despite not actually moving/walking that much
Best Answer
0 Votes

A few years ago I wore a true pedometer on my waist band and now I wear a Fitbit Surge; my daily activities are about the same as they were then and based upon my logs I might average a couple thousand steps more now then then.  That said, the difference between say, 32,000 steps and 34,000 steps in a day really isn't all that much.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Back in my young and foolish days, I used to run constantly. I enjoyed running marathons, and on days that I didn't run I bicyled 75 to a 100 miles. Being in the military, I was in good shape and liked staying that way.  Now, many years later, I'm paying the price for all that abuse on my feet and joints. But, even with all that running, a marathon is probably about 60,000 setps, so 80k doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Would I do it all again? Probably if I were young and foolish. But, that was 45 years ago, and now I'm old and foolish...  Smiley Indifferent

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've just been involved in a Weekend Warrior challenge. Now, having been a fairly active guy, gone to seed since retirement, my competitive gene is still pretty active. I managed to achieve a 51,000+ total over the weekend, with which I was very happy, but was thumped by 2 participants who notched up over 90,000 steps each, aiming to break the 100,000 barrier. One messaged that she'd been active for 19 hours on Saturday and at times managed 5000 steps every 35 minutes. She recommended a stop pain spray to allow big target achievement. I'm no medical expert but I sense exercise OCD/ addiction. Could it be that Fitbit challenges might, at extreme levels, promote unhealthy practices? I'd love to hear any responses.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@USAF-Larry wrote:

Back in my young and foolish days, I used to run constantly. I enjoyed running marathons, and on days that I didn't run I bicyled 75 to a 100 miles. Being in the military, I was in good shape and liked staying that way.  Now, many years later, I'm paying the price for all that abuse on my feet and joints. But, even with all that running, a marathon is probably about 60,000 setps, so 80k doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Would I do it all again? Probably if I were young and foolish. But, that was 45 years ago, and now I'm old and foolish...  Smiley Indifferent

Marathons are where I draw the line (been there, done that, got the tee-shirt, back in 1979).  I've done a lot of studying on the issue and a writer for Men's Health put it best, "The best thing you can do for your body is to train for a Marathon, but not run one."  🙂

Best Answer

Amen.  To paraphrase what Jesus said on the cross, forgive them, for they know not what they do!

Best Answer
0 Votes

LOL!  😄

Best Answer
0 Votes

If 50K crazies would please read my posts on this subject, they may avoid needless pain, suffering and surgery in later life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It doesn't matter if you spread it out or do it all at once, 40K steps are still 40K steps, eating right doesn't change the stress you are putting on your feet, knees or hips, IT ALL ADDS UP!  Good genetics may help but it does not make your body immune to the stress's your joints are not designed to handle.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, there are individuals who are lucky enough to run with proper bio-mechanics and can run into thier 70's, but they follow the theory of moderation, runnig a 5K is alot different than logging 50k steps each and every day.  Walking and running can strengthen the bones and ligaments, but over training can lead to stress fractures and degenerative changes in joints brought on by over loading joints that we use everyday of our life.

Best Answer
0 Votes
In my mid - 30's I ran (?) completed 5 marathons. I may have internalised the distance as a triumph but the real boost was the reception of the crowd. They were magnificent. 30 years later I'm happy to complete a 10,000 daily step minimum, and occasionally exceed that target to compete in daily challenges.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney wrote:

If 50K crazies would please read my posts on this subject, they may avoid needless pain, suffering and surgery in later life.

Well then.. I am glad I came across this.  This means that I will stop at 49,999 everyday.......

/s

Best Answer

@Incognito wrote:

Well then.. I am glad I came across this.  This means that I will stop at 49,999 everyday.......

That's a good idea! It is because of knowing when to stop, that I still have my vision....  But, that's another story....  Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DaveInverness wrote:
I've just been involved in a Weekend Warrior challenge. Now, having been a fairly active guy, gone to seed since retirement, my competitive gene is still pretty active. I managed to achieve a 51,000+ total over the weekend, with which I was very happy, but was thumped by 2 participants who notched up over 90,000 steps each, aiming to break the 100,000 barrier. One messaged that she'd been active for 19 hours on Saturday and at times managed 5000 steps every 35 minutes. She recommended a stop pain spray to allow big target achievement. I'm no medical expert but I sense exercise OCD/ addiction. Could it be that Fitbit challenges might, at extreme levels, promote unhealthy practices? I'd love to hear any responses.

Good job

Best Answer