Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a person average 80,000 steps in a day?

ANSWERED

I don't mean to call anybody out or question somebody's integrity but there are fitbit users who average better than 75K steps a day over the course of a week. Assuming they get eight hours of sleep, that means they're walking almost 40 minutes each hour every hour of the day unless they're asleep. Every day for a week.

It is possible that they're running or training for a marathon or walking really fast or are really really into this walking thing but it seems like it is too much. Any way you do the math, it is an incredible amount of walking and it is sustained over the entire week.

What's the most anyone has ever walked in a day? How about in a week? 

I wonder what it would be like if I got up at five am and walked all day until midnight? Doing the math, it would theoretically be possible to break 100k but I don't think I could get anywhere near that. And 80k a day for a week seems too much too.

What do you think?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject. 

Best Answer
801 REPLIES 801

Standing desks and treadmill desks.

I'd asked that same question to some of the big steppers in challenges I participated in and that was the answer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@fifofum wrote:

Hello Baltoscott,

I don't understand how to get to these groups you mentioned. May I have a little more instruction please? Thanks,

@fifofum - Activity groups are on your computer dashboard.  Go to "Community" -- third choice in drop down is activity groups.  There are 100s.  Here are a few I am involved in:

https://www.fitbit.com/group/229MZQ  -- challenge group.  Used to be more active, but the Walk off Wednesday tread is still going strong.

https://www.fitbit.com/group/22R4ZW - Consistancy is Key (CiK), new beginning.  Pretty active.  You've got to do at least 70K/week to stay in it.

https://www.fitbit.com/group/22R4DN - Step up or Kicked out (SuKo).  Slightly more agressive than CiK.  You need to do 84K/week to stay in it.  Has more challenges than CiK, but there is a lot of overlap in the membership.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've walked 20K steps in a day several days in a week, which would average me out very high. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm new to the Fitbit and have had it since Jan 22 2016. So far I love it besides the HR that doesn't work very well when I spin or count any of the pedal rotations so I just put it on my ankle now when I use it when I spin.

With regards to the 80,000 steps per day avg, I just joined a group for males over the age of 40. I'm a PT for the past 26 years and have been training in my 42nd year. I just turned 51 in Dec. I was in total shock and disbelief when the leader of this new group of mine avg OVER 80,000 steps per day, and is already past 241,000 for the month of Feb and it's only Feb 3?!?! That's 38 miles per day. Even when I walked 63 holes last summer at my golf course with a pedometer I only registered 45,000 steps. The guy must be a US postal worker or have it attached to his dogs leg. I can't even imgine walking for 8 to 10 hrs a day to get to 80,000 steps. Baffles me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh it's possible when you are always using your legs everyday. These results prove it.100,000 Club.PNG

David Major
Best Answer
0 Votes

Those results don't prove anything. 
Well - I suppose they prove that anyone can figure out how to get numbers to display. 

They're like Barbie though.  Not Real. Grossly exagerated, and not something anyone should aspire to. 

Once on 65th birthday, I got challenged to do a thousand steps for each year of my age. A few months later, I did 67K steps in a day, but it took 11 hours with only pause being two bathroom breaks and ten minutes to make a sandwich and head back to the treadmill to eat it. 
Mathmatically - if I had continued for another 7 hours at that pace, I could have made 100K, but I was an idiot to spend 11 hours to accomplish a goal that means nothing, and risk injury that could have sidelined me permanently. 

This whole discussion should be titled. DON"T DO THIS ! ! ! !

Best Answer

@Cybertekkno wrote:

The title of this discussion is questioning how someone can hit 80,000 steps per week, not per day.  

Set daily goal to 20,000 step which is feasible and just do it!  

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@Cybertekkno wrote:

The title of this discussion is questioning how someone can hit 80,000 steps per week, not per day.  

Actually, 80,000 weekly steps only require a daily average of 11,400 steps, but a 20,000 daily goal is also perfectly feasible for people who are fit enough and have enough time to dedicate to exercise. Not everyone is in this situation, but some definitely are. I just reached 20 million steps in three years, which translates into a weekly average of 20,000,000 / (51 x 3) = 130,700 steps (18,700 daily average). I currently do "only" about 14,000 per day in average, in order to make room for other activities (mostly weight-lifting). 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The original post dealt with enough daily steps to yield an average of 80,000 daily steps for seven days in a row; a weekly average of 80,000 daily steps.

Every few months somebody decides that the discussion is how to walk a total of 80k in a week which isn't too difficult. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@prc1977 wrote:

The original post dealt with enough daily steps to yield an average of 80,000 daily steps for seven days in a row; a weekly average of 80,000 daily steps.

Every few months somebody decides that the discussion is how to walk a total of 80k in a week which isn't too difficult. 

You were the one who started this topic, so you would be the one to blame for giving it a highly misleading title (or subject to misinterpretation). Maybe a moderator should edit that title so that it clearly says what you actually meant. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

Dominique: It was a misleading topic title and I have regretted creating it every time someone has jumped in with a self-congratulatory "I can get to 80,000 steps in a week easily" comment.

I'm fairly sure this isn't the first time someone has clucked at me for making the title misleading either; good for you for taking the time to look at the original posting. You are one of the few people who has and possibly one of the few who might have figured it out by looking at any of the dozens of comments related to averaging 80,000 steps a day for a week.

It always surprises me when the thread pops back up.

Best Answer

@prc1977: I’ve flagged your post, asking moderators to edit the title of this topic. If/when they do so, this should end the problem.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

Thank you for letting me know this @Dominique! I have updated your post @prc1977 so we'll get a better picture of the original idea. 

Hope to see you around the forums! Smiley Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

@HelenaFitbit wrote:

Thank you for letting me know this @Dominique! I have updated your post @prc1977 so we'll get a better picture of the original idea. 

Hope to see you around the forums! Smiley Very Happy

Well, Jeeze @HelenaFitbit @prc1977 @Dominique -- you guys are taking  all the fun out of one of the all-time-most-misleading posts titles on fitbit.  Smiley LOL

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@Cybertekkno wrote:

Even, just 10,000 steps a day is 70,000 per week, so it wouldn't be that hard to get 80,000. Last week, I had 76,000 without even trying.

Best Answer
0 Votes
When u are sitting . We keep it moving. Get off your butt
Best Answer
0 Votes
Tell em again.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi.

Could also be people using a bike,car or other transport options...some people just keep fitbit running.

80.000 steps a day is definitely not an average.

I work in an office and I probably step around 2000-3000 steps a day IF I am not doing any physical activity.

But I usually go for a 20 km - 30 km walk every morning. Which you can imagine, brings my amount of steps up pretty much.

Cheers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Nomad92 wrote:

I usually go for a 20 km - 30 km walk every morning.

At a pace of 6-7 km/h (brisk walking), it takes 2h50-3h20 to walk 20 km, and 4h20-5h00 to walk 30 km. You must be starting very early in the morning, or be able to arrive rather late at work. Few working people can dedicate 3 to 5 hours to walking in the morning, every morning.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes
I suspect they may be cheating! There are methods to cheat but honestly you are only cheating yourself! We have someone who got 50k a day and does not jog or run! Hard to believe!
Best Answer
0 Votes