Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can people average 65000 steps per day consistently?

ANSWERED

Hello, there are some really fit people out there! But this amount of steps would imply tremendous effort and also time dedication. Are all these people mailmen? Maybe throwing in a marathon or two after-work?

It will be interesting to share whether you deem this possible or not, and how such a walking experience would affect / improve one's health and daily life.

Best Answer
61 REPLIES 61

@130guy wrote:

I'm not sure why you're using words like war. I was simply mentioning someone else who is clearly posting ridiculous stats. And I don't think there's anything wrong with calling people out who are very public with their stats and are thus clearly looking for blind adulation. 99% of the rest of the community understands the point of friendly  competition and working honestly for yourself and your own health. 

It's not about you; I actually tend to agree but I really do not follow the stats of anyone other than friends.

Rather I have been too polite. I am not claiming any stats; only voicing an opinion that a mail carrier could walk 12 miles or so a day. Apparently this drives some others crazy and it reminds me of some of the people on other Social Media who appear to be professional trolls.

Sorry if you thought I was venting at you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Patrick: Once again use your head. I'm not saying someone can't walk 80K
steps in a day. I'm saying someone can't walk 80K steps seven days a week
after week. You are right, you can't prove or disprove you opinion. I can
walk 6000 steps an hour easy, but not for 8 hours and 20 minutes 7 days a
week, week after week and I have finished 2 marathons and have run for over
30 years. Did the write up clearly state he walked 180,000 steps a week?
What paper, what date? What Ultra Marathon, what date? Back up what you
say, or don't say it! And it's Beloit!
Best Answer
0 Votes

He didn't state anything; as I said he doesn't post anywhere. I see it on my "friends" page. He isn't looking to get your approval.

I don't care what you think. You and the others come out of the ether to be rude. I think there are mail carriers who walk 12 miles or so a day. I don't care it they don't do it in Beloit or Mayberry or wherever you hail from.

I'm fed up with being polite to you people, so go bother someone else.

Rob Step total 2.PNG

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Google knows ;-): postal carriers with walking routes average about 10 miles a day, some less some more, many In excess of 12. With extra foot movement, 30k is quite reasonable.

As for the title question: There are those that can and those than can't. Those that can don't worry much about the opinions of those that can't. I have once (July 2017) averaged 65k a day for a month and know what it takes - yeah, it can be done, although I personally would not choose to do so for extended time frames - weeks interest me more. Also, to 'average' does not mean to do the same thing day-after-day, ad infinitum. There are long days, short days and even (near) zero days. Also treating it as an 'adder' to some walking job is much more difficult that doing it as an avocation without a job - either retired or not looking. Then 65 k can be easily done in 8 -10 hours (kinda like a job). If this is an avocation, easy enough to train up to 8k/hr with a mix of brisk walking and light jogging.

Best Answer

Interesting, thanks.

I think when I carried I was probably doing 12 miles a day, but it was years ago and before there were Fitbits. In addition, some offices (like mine) had carriers come in often for an extra day of overtime so 6 days wasn't unusual.

Why some think I said that carriers walk 80K steps a day I have no idea.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Patrick: Have you ever wondered why so many people question the validity
of individuals that claim to log 50k-100K steps per day. It's because we
are out on the road, in the gym or in my case in my basement exercising
everyday and and realize how inane these claims are. No mail carrier in
this day and age will ever log 50K steps per day 7 days a week. Welcome to
the 21st century where it's cheaper to buy a mail truck and have fewer mail
carriers than it is to pay more carriers, with benefits to walk every
route. I challenge any mail carrier out there to show me their weekly
progress report that shows 350k steps every week let alone anyone to show
me a progress report showing 560-700k steps per week! When I see it I will
fervently apologize! All those out there put up or be quiet!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney wrote:
Patrick: Have you ever wondered why so many people question the validity
of individuals that claim to log 50k-100K steps per day.

What the heck is wrong with you? Are you functionally illiterate?

Show me where I said a carrier walks 50 to 100K steps while delivering a route.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@130guy FitandLit's now claiming 900.000 steps/week?  What a laugher!  You could get the names of all of her supporters and sell them to scam artists.

I wonder how long it will be before her first million step week......................

Best Answer

Patrick:  Your post of 7-112019 stated " a mail carrier could certainly crush 50K steps a day.  I suggest you clean up your words or your next rant will be flagged.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The topic has been beaten tor death. I'm not going to go back and repeat everything just to satisfy you.

Stop wasting my time with this. Direct your comments to one of the others instead of posting to me. As I said, I don’t care what you think.

Please flag the post. I'm sorry I ever started to even read a  thread where someone like you just continues to be a pest. I'd be very happy to be rid of your nonsense.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is making that amount of weekly steps a good way to get supporters?

A possibility that comes to mind is that she just runs from mailman to mailman to deliver letters in bulk and let them deal with office stuff and multiple stops that eat on their walking time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MihaiMVP

Are you serious?

So many people get on this discussion and decide they know what Mail Carriers do. They see a carrier every day, or have a neighbor who is a carrier, and 15 minutes later they could be PostMaster Generals.

And they haven't been called "mailmen" in over 40 years, by the way. A fair number are women.

Best Answer
0 Votes

"A possibility that comes to mind is that she just runs from mailman to mailman to deliver letters in bulk and let them deal with office stuff and multiple stops that eat on their walking time."

As a general rule;

Each office of City Carriers has 6 carriers for every 5 routes.

5 Carriers are Regulars. They have one route to deliver every day for 5 days a week.

The 6th Carrier is called a T-6, or at least that is what they called him/her back when I was a carrier.

This 6th Carrier delivers mail on the "6th" day, the day that one of the other carriers has off. He/she must know all 5 routes.

So; there are 6 people who deliver 5 routes. If someone has a delay, they have to deliver all the mail. So they still have to complete the Route regardless of whether (as one guy said) they have to write a note or whatever. Any carrier who is delayed still has to finish the route.

The logic that Carriers get stopped by people who want to chat is absurd, because the Carrier still has to finish. If you lived on the last street and did not get your mail, would you accept an excuse like "Bob was talking to the woman at 1020 Bay Street so he never got to your house."

I was trying to be polite with some of these earlier comments but the poster clearly had no idea what he was talking about.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Here,s an interesting idea, Get moving was designed to help individuals who
have concerns, problems or to help motivate them. It should not become a
social media to debate the possibility or impossibility of averaging 65K to
100K steps per day. Buy stopping to comment on this, either one way or the
other, it should die a slow death. Enough is enough!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney
" it should die a slow death. "

finally something we agree on.😐

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney I agree. It should not be a discussion about the possibility or impossibility of something that has already been proven possible many, many times. Rather, as stated in the title, it should be a discussion of HOW one goes about averaging 65k STEPS (yes, real ones)/day if it is something you'd like to do, and particularly if you have already done it. I see no reason for such a discussion to die slowly, or at all for that matter - I can see a reason for those who wish to make it about cheating to start their own thread.

Best Answer
0 Votes
checking: The original concept of this forum was about get moving, not
about the plausibility of accomplishing someone averaging some step count
every day. It was to share ideas about changing behaviors in order to get
people moving. How does the debate about averaging 65K to 100K steps per
day motivate anyone. There are any many posters questioning the
possibility as those who say it's possible. If someone does, I'm happy for
them, but what is the need to tell the world? Do they want universal
acclaim? It's the mark of someone with a poor self image. It's someone
who needs affirmation. Motivation comes from within the person. How come
there are so many active individuals questioning the numbers? Come on,
247,000 steps per day, 900,000 steps per week, how would someone who went
from 5000 steps per day to 10,000 steps per feel about themselves? This
thread has gone on toooo long! Lets get back to the original concept of
this post. Encourage individuals to get moving, share tips about improving
your activity levels, and share ideas about achieving their goals. It's
not about feeling bad because one can't average a certain step count per
day. Social media today is full of misinformation, I can only hope Fitbit
will become one that can separate themselves from the sites that are only
interested in making money.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Patrick: Lets put are differences behind ourselves! I hope it does die
soon. Enough is enough!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney I too can read the introduction to Get Moving, it also says:

"This is for all ability levels, and people of all shapes and sizes. We all have personal fitness goals, and this is the place to discuss them!"

I'm not interested in discussing cheating, it is obvious that many do, and obvious when they do - counting steps is extremely prone to such. I do understand your bias against long-distance endurance athletes (you ran "7 miles a day, every day" until you blew yourself up, and now do a only few thousand steps a day, right?), as such, your opinion on the advisability of doing such things, or whether they can be done at all, is of limited value.

As for motivational - different for different people, but I would be (I am) motivated by knowing it is possible to average 65 - 100k steps a day with honest effort and commitment.

PS ~ you are not doing much for you desire to see this thread die if you continue to post to it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

checking:  For your information, I did not blow myself up.  At age 65 I decided that pounding the pavement for 7 miles everyday was counter productive.  Running for as long as I did I realized that runners land with 3 times their body versus walking where you land with body weight, plus to avoid unwanted results one must run with perfect bio-mechanics.  Ever wonder why there are no 65 year old elite marathoners?  Also, Patrick's screen shot of my profile included a step average that he added incorrectly, it was not provided by Fitbit, his post has been pulled.  I still average over 10,000 steps per day from spending 40 minutes on an elliptical, 30 minutes on a rower and 20 minutes walking as my cool down.  Add in mowing my yard with a walk behind mower 2X a week.  I do not have a bias against long distance endurance athletes since I was one for over 25 years everyday year in and year out.  Completed 2 marathons and one mini-triathlon.  I will no longer comment on anyone's step count since my opinion has been made clear.  I'm glad you are motivated by knowing 65k -100k steps is possible.  Discussing personal goals is perfectly acceptable, discussing personal cheating is not!  Have a good day.

Best Answer
0 Votes