Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can people average 65000 steps per day consistently?

ANSWERED

Hello, there are some really fit people out there! But this amount of steps would imply tremendous effort and also time dedication. Are all these people mailmen? Maybe throwing in a marathon or two after-work?

It will be interesting to share whether you deem this possible or not, and how such a walking experience would affect / improve one's health and daily life.

Best Answer
61 REPLIES 61

I'm reminded of a gentleman I once knew, he passed away at the age of 94 a couple of years ago.

He won the 1952 Gold Medal in Steeplechase at the Olympics. "Ace" would run a few 8Ks as well as an annual ½ marathon each year into his mid 80s.  (The town named the run in his honor some 25 years or so ago, so he almost had to compete in it).

But he was so unusual. The stress of running does take it's toll on people as they age, no question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think it’s feasible… if you live a very particular lifestyle. 

For me, if I’m lazily waddling about I get about 4500 steps an hour. My cardio fitness is rated as being in the ‘fair’ range. I imagine that if my cardio fitness were even just ‘average’, it would be higher - maybe 5000?  

As of the time of writing, Fitbit says I get about 25k steps a day. 

However, hand over heart, I sit around and do absolutely nothing for the majority of my day.

5000 steps an hour * 16 hours = 80 000 steps. 

And a lot of people sleep 6-7 hours a night (or less) - potentially opening this up to 90 000 steps.

So it’s not really all that unthinkable - it just depends on their lifestyle and fitness level, I think. 

Best Answer
0 Votes