Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people average 50000 steps per day?

ANSWERED

Who has the time to average 50,000 steps a day!? How can this be possible?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
932 REPLIES 932

I've had exactly the same question and was so happy to find I am not the only one asking it... then I started reading the answers and couldn't stop laughing!

Real life stories are better than any comedy, as no one can possibly invent such an absurd situation 🙂 🙂 🙂 

I was wondering how someone normal (not a professional athlete) could walk or run daily, every frigging day, 25 miles (38 km!)... but I see such "normal" doesn't exist, only superheroes are present here for whom 50k daily (or even 100k was mentioned) is a piece of cake, a routine, something not worthed mentioning LOL

I may live in the wrong world... me who averages 13-15 k... 

Tonight in the menu will be whisky instead 🙂 Cheers!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LittleMato,

Welcome to the community. This thread stayed alive this long because of concerns of cheating in activity groups. That seems to have disappeared in the groups I participate in.

The most I've ever maintained for any period of time (24 days, I think) was 25,000/day. 50,000 a day only takes about seven hours of walking at a normal pace. Subtract 10,000 lifestyle steps, and a person only needs to get 40,000 additional steps.  This is about 5 1/2 hours of walking. The believable ones simply like to walk and have learned to walk in a way that doesn't result in injuries. They usually take several walks a day.

Best Answer

I certainly believe that 50 000 steps would be possible in a day. In May this year, my husband and I were on holiday in Florida (we are from the UK). We stayed at Clearwater Beach. One day we had a very long walk up the coast and back to Caladesi Park which was about 11 miles. Our total mileage for the day was 17.4 miles. The rest of the miles came from walking to and from our hotel for breakfast, lunch, dinner and beers. Our total steps was 41 189 steps..... not a million miles away form the 50 000 steps being discussed. I therefore believe, from experience, that 50 000 steps would definitely be achievable.

Best Answer

It is possible in a day, yes, but it is not possible as average every day. Even the pros take a rest. When I run on the treadmill or bike, my step count doesn't increase much because of the nature of the tracker... and who can run for 4-5 hours every day, who has that time? Not 99.9% of the World's population.

Anyway, happy walking/running to all. Cheers!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LittleMato,

You seem to be stuck in the paradigm that people who average a large number of steps a day are running. The high-steppers that have wandered through this topic generally walk. Most of them are retired, so they have plenty of time. They are more likely to be over 60 than under 60.

There are plenty of documented examples of people getting over 50,000 steps a day. For example, one couple ran a marathon every day for a year. Two people have completed the Appalachian Trail in 46 days and some hours averaging 48 miles a day. One was a walker, one was a runner. Some have set records running across the United States averaging about 75 miles a day. Others have walked across the United States averaging over 25 miles a day.

The question was originally asked in the context of activity groups. Some people generally average less than 50,000 steps a day and occasionally pick a month to average more.

I started my own personal challenge on 6/1/18. I decided to log 100,000 Fitbit miles by the time I'm 100 on 6/5/53. Fitbit miles can be longer or shorter than real miles. This goal is a focus for other activities. The obvious one is to live until I'm 100. The other one is to run/walk in a way that isn't debilitating.

Finally, I need to learn to make the challenge a part of my life, but not my whole life. I'm gradually getting there and settling into a routine.

Best Answer
@GershonSurge

I was assuming they run, because I walk, I walk more than anyone around,
and by walking no matter how active I am, I cannot go above 25 k steps.
Well, I am not competing, and it is not my purpose in life to score, and
even less to average 50k steps.
And I talk about AVERAGE, not score it once.
So I assume these people are either professional marathon runners, or
freaks, or cheaters. 50 k steps aberage per day is not at all a healthy
achievement, and I really don't see the point of this performance.

Cheers.
--

"Nulla placere diu, nec vivere carmina possunt, quae scribuntur aquae
potoribus." Horatius
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero." Horatius
"Possunt quia posse videntur" Vergilius
Best Answer
0 Votes

@LittleMato because you cannot do something does not mean the people who can do it are freaks, cheats, or professional athletes. By your own admission, you have no experience with that of which you speak - your speculations (e.g. they must be running) are just that, and mostly incorrect.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@checking (Base Runner)
Do you feel personally offended by people asking these questions? Are you a
cheater, and if not - why do you care that much about that? And what shall
I say to stop this useless argument? You've heard my point, but you won't
rest until you prove me wrong? Or no, actually you cannot prove me wrong,
but you will continue arguing with me until the end of the days?

Here, especially for you, a new statement:

Woow, this is amazing! Thanks to "checking (Base Runner)" my eyes are
finally open!
I was so wrong to think these people are cheaters! So much wrong! They are
not!
I absolutely admire these absolutely great (and totally normal) people who
manage to work for 10 hours a day to earn their living, and afterwards,
walk and/or run for another 8 or more hours to achieve between 50k and 100k
steps every day! Every day! That's the spirit that deserves our admiration!
How incredible is this, they should be absolutely remarkable people (and
still are totally normal, average I would say, typical human, part of the
majority of the species)!
This incredible performance proves the unlimited potential of Homo Sapiens!
We should all aspire to reach such heights, this will fulfil our life with
purpose and meaning!

Cheers, I am off now, no need to answer me back 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't worry about what other people are doing only what I am doing. 50000 steps a day is not necessary to lose weight, maintain weight or be healthy. I average about 15k a day. That's enough for me. If they are cheating well they are only cheating themselves.

Best Answer

@LittleMato,

I don't have time for this. 

Bye.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LittleMato nothing to prove. It is you who are postulating a negative for something already proven positive, as it has already been done many times with verification. I completely understand your thinking that you can't do it yourself (after all, it does take a lot of time and long-term commitment), but your life experience really has no bearing on the capabilities or circumstances of others. It is really the worst kind of anecdotal fallacy: "I can't do it, so nobody else can unless they cheat or are crazy." Am I offended  - yes, illogical personal bias always offends me. Also, I am offended at being called/questioned as a cheater for something that is relatively mundane. To answer directly: No, I don't cheat!  I average 25-35k/day (depending on season) and have reached a month-long average above 50k/day a couple times, but don't find it all that remarkable or important - I simply like walking and jogging in the forests and mountains. I really have no problem believing others more dedicated that I can go higher than 50k/day average and do it more often than I have. 

I agree that there are probably a lot of people who cheat to get to these levels, but there are plenty that do not. I just find your blanket characterizations to be uninformed and incorrect.

Best Answer

@checking,

In my opinion, averaging 50,000 steps a day is near the limit of what a normal person can achieve given the time and inclination. Some can do more.

The ones who have passed through here and shown their data from Fitbit and Garmin were walkers. They have a daily routine that includes walking and incidental steps. They tend to go through phases of more steps and fewer steps. 

The sad thing is these people got driven off by the naysayers and now, we can't learn from them. The naysayers seldom hang around the forums long. They go back to their 3,000 step days and say it's impossible to do more. For some, because of physical limitations, it is. I'm not talking about those people. 

It only takes about six hours a day. Say three two hour walks a day. For a retired person, this isn't a problem. Many retired people spend this much time in a bar.

@Bionicwoman71,

You are correct in saying 15,000 steps a day is all that is needed for health. Actually, health defined as the absence of degenerative diseases is a result of the proper diet. I don't want to go into diet here. Fitness is the ability to do things. The level depends on an individual's desires.

Personally, I'm currently limited to 18,000 steps or so every day by my right knee. It's only a plateau that will pass in time, and then I can move up to the next one. The hip pain that was limiting me before has disappeared as the dozen or so other little pains have as I slowly got fitter.

The only advice I have is don't walk or run in pain or it will become chronic.

My time isn't wasted. I listen to audio books as I alternate a slow walk with a slow jog. Every so often, I write and publish a novel based on what I learn. Voice recognition has advanced far enough so I can dictate as I walk and jog. 

Will I ever get to 50,000 steps a day? Most likely not. I'm more interested in my 100,000 Fitbit mile race - about 230 million steps. That dictates a different approach.

Time to go.

Best Answer
@GershonSurge

Well said!
Thank you for the nice wrap up!
Cheers!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@LittleMato,

If you think 50,000 steps a day is hard, check out Ruth Heidrich completing an Ironman triathlon at 80. Then read about her background.

There is likely something in your life that took far more commitment than 50,000 steps a day. In fact, there are likely several things we'd consider exceptional. Want to tell us about one?

Best Answer
0 Votes

https://www.strava.com/athletes/26922908

this man was coming close but broke down and stopped.

He hadd a lot of disbelievers aswell.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think my favorite example is Pete Kostelnick - ran San Francisco to New York in 42 days, averaging 72 miles a day through real crossing-the-country terrain and weather. I believe he will be starting a Kenai (Alaska) to Key West run, self-supported, on August 1. You can follow what he is doing on Strava.

Best Answer
0 Votes
This is getting ridiculous 😂😂😂
I don't want to offend anyone but I see we speak different languages. Are
you reading the posts at all?

I NEVER SAID IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. I only have doubts it is achievable for
normal people who have families and work 9-10 hours a day.
I am not in contact with Dennis Kipruto Kimetto nor Paul Kibii Tergat, and
have never doubted their achievements. Can you get that statement?

But when I see uncle Bob Whoever average 50k steps, I start having some
questions... I am not talking about pros here, and I doubt the Fitbit
community is crowded with professional athletes, and even if I am wrong, I
am nott questioning them; if you are such a person, please stop answering
my posts, your opinion is irrelevant to me.

Happy Walking to all!

--

"Nulla placere diu, nec vivere carmina possunt, quae scribuntur aquae
potoribus." Horatius
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero." Horatius
"Possunt quia posse videntur" Vergilius
Best Answer
0 Votes

@LittleMato,

You say you walk more than anyone and can't get more than 25k a day. I don't believe you do walk more than anyone. Why not make your profile public so we can see?

You are the one who mentioned a family and working nine or ten miles a day. The high-stepper is more likely to be in their 60's and retired and just as likely to be a woman. They are unlikely to come to Fitbit because of naysayers like you. I am aware of a private activity group where some of them hang out.

Best Answer

@Bionicwoman71  sane, reasoned, non confronational, not judgmental reply ... maybey this will finally end this topic that seems to go on into eternity . 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Who has the time to average 50,000 steps a day!? How can this be possible?

This was the original post that started this topic. It's the only post the person made, and they have left Fitbit.

The answer to "Who has the time?" is easy. Anyone who has six hours a day to devote to the project. 

I'm assuming "How is this possible" is meant to mean how is it physically possible? 

No part of the post is calling for those who want to cut down others progressing to that level or to those who have a lower goal but want to keep increasing their steps.

I think it was in 2000 I went to a Berkshire Hathaway meeting. Warren Buffett opened the legal part of the meeting by saying "All those in favor of the items to be voted on say 'Aye.'"

"All those against, please leave."

I suggest all those in favor of striving towards 50,000 steps a day hang around and those not in favor please leave.

This morning, I was listening to a podcast of Dr. McDougall interviewing Carl Lewis back in the early 1990's. Carl Lewis had switched to the McDougall way of eating and went on to beat all his old records. 

Scott Jurek is probably the best ultra-marathoner ever. He ran the 2189 mile Appalachian trail in 46 days, 8 hours and 7 minutes.

They have something in common. They both eat a whole food plant-based diet. I think Carl Lewis was stricter than Scott Jurek. They both say it increased performance and decreased recovery time.

Rich Roll, who follows a similar way of eating, completed five Ironman triathlons-- in a week-- when he was 44. 

Compared to these superhuman performances, working up to 50,000 steps a day in a controlled manner seems almost trivial. 

For the detractors, I suggest you go find a serious forum for people planning to climb Mount Everest.

@checking wrote:

I think my favorite example is Pete Kostelnick - ran San Francisco to New York in 42 days, averaging 72 miles a day through real crossing-the-country terrain and weather. I believe he will be starting a Kenai (Alaska) to Key West run, self-supported, on August 1. You can follow what he is doing on Strava.

So much for the theory that a person can't have a full-time job and put in the miles. 

My Trendweight

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer