Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people average 50000 steps per day?

ANSWERED

Who has the time to average 50,000 steps a day!? How can this be possible?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
932 REPLIES 932

@GershonSurge good nuf - looked on AT but must have missed you

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BruceBu wrote:

OK, found you at start of the Arizona Trail under "Fitbit friends" (but not under the T&C subgroup at W4F) - no matter, "Fitbit Friends" works.

Just for step/distance reference. My walking stride is set at 33" (about 10% above average for my height) at both Fitbit and W4F. It also agrees well with routine GPS calibrations (within +/- 5%, terrain dependent).

Best Answer
0 Votes
BruceBu: As a Physical Therapist I was able to take care of my self.
Early in my running days I was addicted, but I thought It was a positive
addiction. But after 25 years and the fact I was not running with perfect
bio-mechanics I developed over use problems with my foot that eventually
moved up to my knee. But one of my rules is to listen to your body. I
did, quit running, switched to rowing, stationary bike and an elliptical
cross trainer, spending the same amount of time exercising. I no longer
have any orthopedic problems, have maintained my excellent aerobic capacity
with no pain. You are lucky that you have developed no orthopedic
problems, I envy you and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
When I stated my 2 hard and fast rules for my client, quality not quantity
and listen to your body, you obviously know nothing about Physical Therapy,
and your quip about me wanting my clients to be couch potatoes, you were
OUT OF LINE. We evaluate our clients, determine their deficits, and
develop a specific exercise program to address their problems. These
exercises must be done correctly or they will not solve the problem, so
there is no reason to have them do more reps if they are doing it wrong. I
don't what you did occupation, but I hope you cared about the quality of
your work rather than how fast you did it. A simple example, a golfer goes
to a pro to help him straighten out his golf swing. After an hour of
instruction the client still hadn't mastered the swing. My question to you
is should the pro tell the client to go to the driving range and hit 100
balls even though he hasn't mastered the lesson? If he does, the client
will just continue to ingrain the bad habits the pro is trying to correct.
I say go the the practice range and hit 100 balls once the client has
mastered the lesson and learned the proper mechanics of a good golf swing.
Have a good life!
Best Answer
0 Votes

You got the wrong person, I've never said anything about your clients. Have a good life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BruceBu wrote:

@BruceBu wrote:

OK, found you at start of the Arizona Trail under "Fitbit friends" (but not under the T&C subgroup at W4F) - no matter, "Fitbit Friends" works.

Just for step/distance reference. My walking stride is set at 33" (about 10% above average for my height) at both Fitbit and W4F. It also agrees well with routine GPS calibrations (within +/- 5%, terrain dependent).

@BruceBu,

My stride length is about 29 inches. To keep it fair for you, let's use the mileage position on trail as the comparison. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge wrote

"@BruceBu,

My stride length is about 29 inches. To keep it fair for you, let's use the mileage position on trail as the comparison". 

Sounds good, after all - no matter if your legs are short or long, it's  the same distance to the beer store. 🙂

Best Answer

@BruceBu,

I should show up on the T&C subgroup soon. I don't see your name. Did you start the walk yet?

Best Answer

@GershonSurge, I'll be on the John Muir Trail until late this evening - see if I can finish lap 3. (You should be able to find me via the "trails" drop down list once on the "friends" tab and selecting "fitbit friends" as the public group.

Best Answer
What are theses clever things??

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@brunoray

https://www.walking4fun.com

PS ~ if you get there, look for a public group called '50k Refugees' (doesn't mean you have to do 50k, just that you'd like to get away from here for a bit) - feel free to join if you'd rather put your feet than your fingers into this subject . . .

Best Answer
0 Votes
I went and signed up for AT but how/where does it get recorded??🚶🏼‍:female_sign:🚶🏼‍:female_sign:

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@brunoray,

If you linked to Fitbit, it will be recorded on the W4F website. I think your hike will start at midnight.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thx!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been using the Galloway Run-Walk method for a couple of months now. There are some key points I've learned. Disclaimer: What I learned may not be exactly what Jeff meant. I do know he emphasizes enjoyment and no injuries. 

My goal is to maximize the number of steps I can safely Run-Walk a day within the time constraints I have and my physical condition. I won't get anywhere near 50,000 steps a day for at least five years. Maybe I'm too old to get there, but it doesn't matter. My number is currently about 18,000 steps a day.

By mixing short intervals of running and walking, it's possible to avoid injuries for many years. Surprisingly, running form doesn't matter much when using this method so long as the runner keeps a short stride, doesn't over stride  and keeps their feet close to the ground. If the runner/walker understands this, they don't need a professional to help them. In fact, trying to change a runner's gait can do more harm than good. There is no "perfect" form. Anyone who has followed running for the last 50 years knows this.

If a runner/walker want to learn the details, they can read

The Run-Walk-Run Method Kindle Edition
by Jeff Galloway

@BruceBu and I are in a race that will last approximately 183 days. It's a handicap race, so he gets to run/walk two miles for every one of mine. It's about 1,600 miles long for me and 3,200 miles long for him.

One key to winning this race will be avoiding injuries. I'm no longer attempting to run/walk faster although speed will come. I can easily make up slow speed with a few extra minutes of run/walking in the morning. I don't want to give away the rest of my strategy. What I will say is a race is focusing my attention on how to increase my daily step count.

Best Answer

Just testing.  Excuse my interruption.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! I love these step goal badges. I've actually achieved all of them, even the Olympic shoe 1000,000 once. The high step goals are achieved on vacation days when you have a full day of serious hiking. I'm sure there are others out there too, who like me consider the ultimate vaction to be a day spent in the wilderness.  (50,000 is about 6.5 hours on the trail)

Best Answer

They must love walking . I always see the same women walking everytime I drive through her town . She is a walker for shore.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I really like his point about "most people use/spend that time on social media". If I had a treadmill in my house and could walk on it every time I was on FB, IG, Snapchat etc, I'd probably be at 100k steps a day. Hahaha. Sad, but true. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I could see that. For now I'll stick w/ 10 to 20k... My knee is happy with that.

Speedy
Best Answer
0 Votes

When I go to 50,000 + steps in a day I find I have done this for about 3 days in a row, then I ease off to a lighter count for the rest of the week.  I have managed to do about 100-105 miles a week BUT and this is a BIG BUT I was never able to do this while I was working. 

I retired 1 year ago and during that time I went from 80-100-105 miles a week BUT I really made myself crazy doing this. Meaning, I would walk a good portion of the day. 

I'm now finding one knee a little sore as well as part of a hip. So, I'm feeling like I should cut my walking to 90 miles a week with a few days at 15-17 miles, the rest of the week closer to 12,13 to get there. The funny thing about this is I have competed with no one so talk of cheating would be absurd. But I am feeling guilty about wanting to reduce the walking a bit. Mostly, I find that as long as I keep moving for 1) I am hoping it will keep me from losing too much ability as I age and 2) it helps me stop worrying too much about gaining weight. 

Again, I could never keep this up when I was working though I did try to walk when working by walking 5 miles in the evening so that whatever I was able to do I got something done.

Best Answer
0 Votes