Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people average 50000 steps per day?

ANSWERED

Who has the time to average 50,000 steps a day!? How can this be possible?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
932 REPLIES 932

I am not sure how to do 50,000 per day but I can tell you how to do 20,000. 

Well, two years ago, I ran a 5K and when I finally finished I noticed that I had run a total of 20,000 so there you go. Your answer is run a 5K everyday if you want to or need to get at least 20,000

Best Answer

I think I've been asked at least once "Why?" Well, it is not really about the number of steps (If it were, I'd move to Kansas).DSC_4314 sm.jpg

Best Answer
🤗😂🚶🏼‍:female_sign:

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

BruceBu: Then answer the question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney wrote:

BruceBu: Then answer the question.

If you don't already know the answer, you will never understand. 

Best Answer

Have you ever played tag with deer early on a winter morning?

deer.jpg

Or gone for a walk in the snow when it's only six degrees?

snow.jpg

You can't get memories like mine exercising in the basement. 

Best Answer

@kens33 wrote:
Yes but they train for ultras. Very different from us regular folk who work 12 hrs a day.

Depends if you are sitting on your butt in the office, or out on a work site or even working in a diner.

Best Answer
Oh I agree and why won't it die. No one needs to do it I'm quite certain that 99.99999% are not. And I don't care. I wish Fitbit would add some challenges. I've done each one over and over.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

brunoray: "No one needs to do it I'm quite certain that 99.99999% are not."

So you are certain that only one in ten million Fitbit users averages 50k/day for a month? Nice statistic considering that in any given month, there are only about 8 million Fitbit users. I think your certainty has nothing to do with reality.

As for more challenges, you might try looking at Stridekick.com

Best Answer
George: if you can't answer the question what does that say for you? One
you don't have a rational or sane reason. Two you don't know why you do
it. Three you have no facts to support your answer.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney wrote:
George: if you can't answer the question what does that say for you? One
you don't have a rational or sane reason. Two you don't know why you do
it. Three you have no facts to support your answer.

Corney,

This actually describes people with a passion perfectly. Nice job.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney Good grief! I have made numerous detailed posts to this topic, with supporting data, describing what, how, and why I do what I do. If you cannot remember or process the information in those posts, you have my sympathy regarding you cognitive dysfunction. As for the why, which seems to be what you are reduced to questioning, I'll try to reiterate it as simply as I can: endurance walking in the mountains is a lifestyle choice I have made and it makes me happy - I need no further justification. You don't have to do it if you don't want to, but you really have no right to question my choices. After all, as a physical therapist you weren't even able to take care of yourself (injured yourself badly enough by running too much/incorrectly that you felt that you had to give up running - what does that say?). Your life experience is filled with injured people, including yourself - does not mean that it is valid to project that onto me and the others that enjoy what we do without injury. I think I understand where the bitterness and negativity come from, but no way do I find it a sufficient argument for changing what I do.

Best Answer

That view is kinda nice!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BruceBu endurance walks about twice as many steps as I do each day, so it would be easy to have a handicap race. It is endurance walking, so it should be an endurance walk, meaning looooooong. None of this daily, weekly, or monthly stuff.

I'd suggest something like a virtual hike of the Pacific Crest Trail. The rules are simple. He would have to complete a virtual hike of the PCT before I get halfway. The trail is 5,690,224 steps long. We could do it on the W4F site. 

I figure it will take us each about 165 days to finish the race. We could start tomorrow if you are interested.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge, I've already done the PCT on Walking4fun - in fact, I've done all the trails on W4F, some multiple times. The PCT is not one of my favorites, mostly because of the paucity of pictures (~1/mi) and perhaps because I have done large hunks of it in real life. Right now I am doing laps on the John Muir Trail (my favorite) and am currently at 250 of 264 miles. I can probably finish today and start a new 'lap' tomorrow, if you'd like to join me there - say 4 laps me vs 2 for you - roughly 1k and 500 miles?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BruceBu wrote:

@GershonSurge, I've already done the PCT on Walking4fun - in fact, I've done all the trails on W4F, some multiple times. The PCT is not one of my favorites, mostly because of the paucity of pictures (~1/mi) and perhaps because I have done large hunks of it in real life. Right now I am doing laps on the John Muir Trail (my favorite) and am currently at 250 of 264 miles. I can probably finish today and start a new 'lap' tomorrow, if you'd like to join me there - say 4 laps me vs 2 for you - roughly 1k and 500 miles?

@BruceB

I like the idea of short laps. 500 miles is way too short. You could have a big month I couldn't make up. Do you by any chance have a Zip you could dedicate to another account? Then we could do the race in the background behind the hikes we are currently doing. (I started the AT.)

What about 100 laps of the Crater Lake Trail? A lap wouldn't count until it's complete.That would only be 3,600 miles. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Crater lake is early in the season - all snow - I'd get bored with 100 laps. Muir 5 vs 10 laps (1320 vs 2640 mi, +/-) or Arizona trail 2 vs 4 ~ 1600 vs 3200 mi ?

No extra device, Charge 2 is already 2nd after Polar M400, carrying 3 would offend my sensibilities.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BruceBu wrote:

Arizona trail 2 vs 4 ~ 1600 vs 3200 mi ?

This works. We can start tomorrow morning. Do I just start the Arizona Trail to get off the AT?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge yes, you can switch anytime today. Any steps you take the rest of the day today will be credited (and remembered) on the AT - you can go back without loss. Also you should look for and join the "60+ Trackers & Chatters (members only)" group - easier to follow each other if friends in the same group.

See you at midnight (I think it is your local zone) in Arizona. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BruceBu,

Sounds good. I'm already in that group. 

Best Answer
0 Votes