Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you break out of your sedentary lifestyle?

I'm super sedentary; I move very little, your average couch potato, and if I'm just going about my daily routine I'll get only 1,000-2,500 steps per day. What I want to know is, how do those with sedentary lifestyles find the motivation to increase their activity level? Are there any tips or tricks that could be offered to me?

Best Answer
396 REPLIES 396

This is how I started out. Just taking advantage of each opportunity to get more steps in. After I broke my foot I've had issues with getting back to where I was. It's just been a mental block for me and I know I can beat it. I'm a procrastinator too so this is rough for me. I have signed up for another run though so I think I'm gettin there!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just signed up for this! got 550 already in 3 mins! whoa! hope this helps us both!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Honestly it is hard sometimes to do so.  Life and obligations seem to get in the way.  I have noticed lately that I am more active.  I attribute this to the nicer weather now.  I have no excuse to not workout at bootcamp as my husband is a trainer there and I get my membership for free.  I try to keep doing things such as cleaning, etc. when I am at home with nothing to do.  Just keep your head up and make yourself get up from that chair to do even something small, because it will keep adding on top of eachother.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

the first way I changed my habits is by changing my diet. Eat lots of whole foods and you can feel your energy increase. 

Another thing you can do is get a mini elliptical stepper. This way you can watch tv and step at the same time! 

You might also find a walking buddy so you can get in more steps that way.

Best Answer

I also have an office job and sit all day. I started to walk 500 steps around my building each hour when I am not in a meeting. Going all the way around gets me about 500 steps, and doing so got me from my 5k/day to 7.5K, and yesterday for the first time I reached 10k. It is still considered sedentary, but I know I am moving more.

Best Answer

@MezmeraldaThat's the way to do it.. Well done.. and you should be getting most of your 250+ steps in that period.

I have done similar and because I do some walking at night around the courts in my suburb. My wife was concerned about my security at my age...... So I compromised.

I have mapped out a simple 1000 step area, "T" shape from the top of my court and out to the left and right and back and the maximum distance I'm from home is 220 m. Part of that is a 3m gradient of 80 meters up the street to my front gate.. The total circuit is 680 m for about 8 minutes at exercise speed... so time wise at the extremity I'm 3 minutes from home.. . .. So I'm in  control of the weather, my safety and one floor every lap...

Th things we do with Fitbit..... Smiley Happy

@Mezmeralda wrote:

I also have an office job and sit all day. I started to walk 500 steps around my building each hour when I am not in a meeting. Going all the way around gets me about 500 steps, and doing so got me from my 5k/day to 7.5K, and yesterday for the first time I reached 10k. It is still considered sedentary, but I know I am moving more.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thyla I laughed at your comment re "dancing around like a drunken teenager!" I had to tell you I was doing the same thing today! Really! I was!

I have just returned to the fold. I finally broke down and paid the $6+ for a new battery for my FitBit Zip. I figured spending that much for a bloody battery would motivate me to get off my computer chair. I've become totally sedentary ... apparently since June 2015. Today is day 2 of my return to the fold. Yesterday I leapt out the door and did 7,000 + steps. What a surprise! I guess I'm not dead yet! Totally annoyed that my FitBit did not sync yesterday so there is zero record of my amazingness for posterity. Today I hit the bricks again. Almost did 10,000 steps. Could not believe it! Apparently there is life in the ol' gal yet!

So, back to the dancing. I was still plugged into my music from the walk. I was full of energy - quite unusual - so I danced around the house like a teenager. It was ... fun. Haven't done that for years Smiley Very Happy

I am very fortunate that weight is not an issue for me. We eat healthily. I am simply ... lazy. I hope this unusual spurt of energy I am feeling is not just a flash in the pan, and I will keep up the power walking. I did the 15,000 back in 2014 ... so there is hope ... but alas, not much likelihood at 77.

Best Answer

Totally hear you girl! I am definitely feeling the difference.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I totally know what you mean, I am still trying to hit 8,000 steps on a
regular basis and I shoot for 15000 on the weekends it helps.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am so happy to see you rescued a dog! Save a dog and they will save you right back. My furry kids keep me moving even on a cold day when it would easy to sit inside and watch TV. I hope your new furry friend will keep you moving and fill your life with joy.  Me and the girls.jpg

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

It's been a VERY long time since I did my 15,000 step walk. I was really enthusiastic ... for awhile ... and then my battery died ... and ... well ... you know ... life got in the way Smiley Indifferent. Basically I am NOT a keen exerciser. I would much rather colour or read a book ... or write a letter. I love to golf. I can't really call it exercise because much of the time we have rented a cart and I just have to jump out, smack my ball and return to the cart! Actually walked an executive length course on Monday whilst wearing my fitbit and was delighted to see how many miles I'd covered. The tragedy occurred when I got home and discovered my old fitbit absolutely refused to sync and there was zero sign of my recent efforts this past week! I was like a 2 year old who has lost his soother! You would not believe how many hours I have wasted in front of this screen trying to retrieve all those "important" numbers! I just about gave up and picked up my novel when I actually solved the problem. If anyone asked me how I solved it and made it sync - I have no clue! I just kept hammering away at my keyboard.

So ... that said ... my one problem with all this walking is my feet. They hurt! I have Kintec orthotics in my runners but it is arthritis and I'm sure you know, arthritis is not our friend. I'd sure appreciate some tips from you or anyone who has found a way to get the pressure off those toe joints so they don't interfere with long walks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The thing that got me started... it takes a lot of courage, but sign up for a class. I will tell you I am ALWAYS the fattest person there - BUT I keep going and nobody has ever so much as given me a dirty look or laughed. Most people are super supportive and encouraging. I started with a "Yoga Basics" class once a week, then added Pound (a high intensity drumstick cardio workout which is super fun) once a week and now I am looking to add Barre or something else. When it's just walking or biking or hiking on the weekend when it's nice out, it's just not regular enough to keep you wanting to get up and move. Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm inspired by you. You make an effort to go to the gym and use the classes. The gym, right? Anyway, just joined fitstar and did a core workout on daily burn and I'm planning to take classes at the gym.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
yes, I do the gym…though I have been off now for about a month. Had a cortazone injection for burcitis in my hip. Will give it nother week, and try the gym again. Doubt I will be able to keep it up though, injection helped but not totally. My fav a t the gym is Zumba…but very hard on an old body. Have trouble getting enough steps without exercise. Congrats to you, onward and upward, huh?

Sent from Windows Mail
Best Answer
0 Votes

At least your making an effort I guess I am still on the fence. I know what I need to do just cant seem to get the idea of it into motion and make it a reality. Great ideas and way to stay motivated wish you the best on your healthy journey.

Best Answer
0 Votes
we all just gotta get and stay moving. Never mind exercise, if you can’t get there just yet…it wil come. Great talker I am huh…can’t tell you the last time I even reached 10,000 steps…lol. But really, I worked in health care and I know you suffer some pain now to do it, but if you don’t you will not have a good quality of life later…for the majority of us. Some get lucky and do ok…but hey,, I have yet to hit any other great lottery. Maybe we should set up something between the two of us, to help- us both. I have company coming today until Thurs. After that????lol. always a way to justify my lazieness huh? If my cortazone shot does not help, I am at least going to quit the gym and develop another plan that will work for this old body. Let’s do it

Sent from Windows Mail
Best Answer

I am with you. I hate working out. My job is pretty active, as I am a chef, but I hate exercise. For mother's day my family bought me a fitbit blaze and I started forcing myself to work out. I still haven't lost a whole lot of weight, even though I have been diligent with logging food and working out 5-6 days a week, but I make myself do it. Maybe at some point I will enjoy it, but at least I feel healthier and have more stamina. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

For me the key is find to something I enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, you likely won't stick with it. I dread going to the gym, so that is out for me. I'm blessed to have three rescue dogs that are happy to walk no matter what the weather, so even if I'm feeling like I don't want to take a walk I know they do. Once I get moving it feels good, some days are slow short walks, but the effort has been made. Other days it's a long jog. I try to let listen to my body and not push it so hard that I'm feeling bad the next day. 10K steps are great, but if you can only do 3K a day without over stressing your body, set that as your goal and work to hit that goal at least 5 of 7 days. Remember we are all unique and special people, our bodies respond differently and need different things. Find what works for you, something you enjoy and that makes you feel good.

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
yes, and don’t worry about no weight loss, you will be displacing far with muscle…and muscle eats more calories. I find after a month or two of exercising, it becomes easier…and harder for me to find an excuse not too do it…..you goMs. Chef!

Sent from Windows Mail
Best Answer

Have you tried sitting on a stationary bike while watching your favorite show. I find that if I move while watching TV I don't realize how much time has past. My show is over and I've gained some steps and a 30-60 minute workout in the process. 

I prefer quiet time when I'm walking outdoors. I love listening to the natural sounds of nature and being aware of my surroundings. I use this time to think about things and just be present while focusing on my breathing. Morning walks are the best for me. I love getting out early on a Saturday or Sunday for some me time.

Keep stepping, add me if you like.

Best Answer