Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you break out of your sedentary lifestyle?

I'm super sedentary; I move very little, your average couch potato, and if I'm just going about my daily routine I'll get only 1,000-2,500 steps per day. What I want to know is, how do those with sedentary lifestyles find the motivation to increase their activity level? Are there any tips or tricks that could be offered to me?

Best Answer
396 REPLIES 396

Wow - this is a thread that is apparently timeless! 

At the risk of appearing overly simplistic, here's another input. Over the past year, I've averaged approx 70k-100k steps per week. Starting 4 weeks ago, I 'recategorized' my cardio from a MUST DO to a SHOULD DO. Results? I've averaged roughly 30k steps per week. NO other changes -- I have continued my resistance training and have not altered my calorie count or meals; and gained approx 4 lbs in the past 4 weeks. Now I'm in the process of converted my cardio back from a SHOULD DO to a MUST DO. What does that mean? I get up in the morning, small cup of coffee and some water, and start out my day with 30 min on the treadmill. Then go from there. At least 1 more substantial cardio session at some point during the day. My point is that in order for ME to achieve what I've committed to myself that I want to do, I have to put in conscious effort and mentally consider it a MUST DO. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think what most people don’t realize is that physical activity needs to be part of your lifestyle. Unless it is part of someone’s lifestyle, and it garners a high priority in your life, most people will not be successful. Once it has a high priority, goal setting can be very effective.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

You know what I did to break out of my habits of just sitting in a chair while at home? This is silly but... the Wii Fit app did it for me. I still use it on a Wii U. 

The great thing about it is that you can get a decent workout with all the exercises but if you get bored you can always flip to a minigame to have fun with. It works. And I can say, since I started nightly workouts, I have tried many of them - Wii Fit to things on the Xbox to DVD's to gyms and, honestly, the Wii Fit game is the one I came back to as the best... it might not be the absolute best workout you can do but it is the best presented workout you can find. What I mean by that is that you get to do all of the standard exercises but you get that mix of fun into it that you really don't get with beachbody.com DVD's or gyms.

Best Answer
Audemars: You changed nothing but cutting back on cardio or aerobics and
gained 4 pounds. The 4 pounds wasn't muscle, it was fat. You need to
complete at least 30-40 minutes of aerobics to burn fat. Get back to the
cardio( in your training zone) and the fat will eventually come off.
Best Answer
0 Votes

BostonGirl1983:  By commenting on the post " How do you break out of your sedentary lifestyle" it seemed you were seeking answers to that question.  If not, sorry.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Get off your butt!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, it's time for people to take responsibility for their own life and
life style. For every reason to exercise I can find 3-4 reasons not to.
I'm to tired, I'm stressed from work, I just can't get out of bed early in
the morning, I can't find a good gym, I need a friend to help motivate me,
I don't know how to start. Get off your Butt!
Best Answer

Hello BG1983 

Stress ... real for sure and an easy beginning of any number of not so good lifestyle decisions

Job Stress ... can be even worse

Crossing an interstate for the sake of walking ... not a great idea and possibly a fatal one during rush hour

Going back to school ... fantastic, something to be proud of

Career change ... same as going back to school, it takes some character to actually do it

Desire ... it's obvious you want to achieve some better level of fitness so looking at "going back to school and career change", both of which present great obstacles, it's pretty obvious you'll get there 

As far as being on your butt... just not seeing that, actually pretty active and occupied seems more of a reality ... perhaps you just need a little more or something different and no doubt you'll figure it out

Best of luck to you and stay positive

Best Answer
0 Votes

On my worst days I play hardball with myself. I make a deal.

"OK, would you like to sit and play games on your phone? Then do your exercise and you may sit all night, but only after you are done.'

Best Answer

Hi
I am the same, need every bit of help to get moving. Running a business, finding time to get away from the desk is a challenge. I found this: 

Walk and Talk Business Coaching Programme

Makes sense to use valuable business time to walk. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I read on a wiki how to that stress can cause your tummy area to gain weight. So all those excercises are wasted if you don't also reduce those stress levels. 

Walking in the fresh air clears the mind (I find anyway) and really helps with stress reduction. 

Best Answer
Stress by itself can not cause you to gain weight.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Like I said. I read it. I am most certainly not an expert.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I didn't want to read through 17 pages, so if my idea has already been mentioned plz forgive me 🙂

My tactic to break out of a sedentary lifestyle was simply to go car free. I moved to a neighborhood where everything I needed was within walking/bicycling distance (including my job) and got rid of my car. This forced me to walk or bike (or use public transportation) to do anything or go anywhere.

Of course I know that this approach is not practical for everybody, because people may have families etc. and need to keep their cars. But in my situation (older, semi-retired, children grown and gone etc.) it was the ideal decision. Granted there were mornings when I woke up and getting on the bike or walking to the bus stop was the very last thing I wanted to do, but it eventually worked and changed my life.

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer

I work a desk job where i have had days that I sit down when I start the day and do not move till lunch. I use the move reminders and the 250 step goals religiously to help me stay moving through the day. I was a typical couch potato as well and I find the best thing to do is just not to stop and sit. If i get home from work and immediately sit down on the couch I am done for. I try to just keep moving when I get home weather its cleaning something or just walking laps around my house. If its cold out sometimes I will even go to the store and just walk around (tempting to buy stuff) and then just leave once i feel I have moved enough. Its best to start small and incorporate moving in things you do everyday then build up so you do not wear yourself out. 

Best Answer

I am a new person to the Fitbit family but am enjoying it immensely. I am 67 years old, had cancer 5 years ago and had to have my thyroid removed 6 months ago due to Graves disease and thought my active days were behind me but was I wrong! The best way to stick with it (I found) is personal challenges. Remember,they only have to be important to you. In 4 weeks I went from sedentary to 8000 steps and 10 floors a day. It also helps my son, daughter-in-law and grandson also have one,  and we challenge each other. I am a work in progress, but also an example that you can do it no matter what your age or past history is.

Best Answer

You can find here some answers...check and write your experience thanks!

http://healthyhabitsforyou.net/index.php/2018/01/11/tell-close-fist-ill-let-know-hidden-personality/

@lacieloo wrote:

I'm super sedentary; I move very little, your average couch potato, and if I'm just going about my daily routine I'll get only 1,000-2,500 steps per day. What I want to know is, how do those with sedentary lifestyles find the motivation to increase their activity level? Are there any tips or tricks that could be offered to me?

Best Answer
0 Votes
You should write down why you want to become more active, then write down
why you aren't more active. Read them over and decide for yourself. The
motivation must come from YOU. What is important to you. Becoming more
active will not guarantee a longer life, but it will guarantee you will
enjoy more the life you have left, both physically and psychologically. It
sounds like you are feeling guilty about you inactivity, well the only one
that can make you fell guilty is you. Guilt can be a motivating factor,
but starting an exercise program, feeling all the positive effects from
that program can be a constant motivating factor. There is no secret, you
must motivate yourself, so reread what you have written down everyday and
act on what you have written.
Best Answer

You all are so inspiring!  I am combining my new fitbit with a dance/exercise program I found on youtube and a new eating plan my friends are doing.  I'm so excited to see where this takes me!

Best Answer

The Japanese have a term; kai zen, which can be interpreted gradual continuous improvement. DOn't overdo it but just start a little extra walking, perhaps on a Saturday morning, walk just until you get tired, or until you decide you have enough. Then, tomorrow, try the same walk. It may be more or less but just get out and walk. If it's winter make sure you dress for it. Just walk a little.

Next week, do the same but walk just a little more. Try to do a little better than last week, maybe just a hundred steps more, Make a commitment to, each week, do just a few more steps than last week. Soon you may have to skip a TV show to do a little better. If you keep it up, after a while you'll stop missing the show. Make these little improvements and you'll be surprised how well you're doing after six months or so. 

I'm 74 and started in my 60's. I walk 10 miles/day and watch very little TV. Make the commitment and do it. 

Best Answer