Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you break out of your sedentary lifestyle?

I'm super sedentary; I move very little, your average couch potato, and if I'm just going about my daily routine I'll get only 1,000-2,500 steps per day. What I want to know is, how do those with sedentary lifestyles find the motivation to increase their activity level? Are there any tips or tricks that could be offered to me?

Best Answer
396 REPLIES 396

There are numerous ways!  Parking at the furthest spot from any store, taking stairs instead of elevators or escalators, walking up all the aisles of the grocery store even if you don't need anything in that aisle, etc.

I work at a pretty sedentary job.  If I didn't make any effort, I'd say I probably would only get 3000-4000 steps a day.  So, as I started becoming more active, I started taking my dogs for a walk at night (usually my husband takes them and I stay home).  Now that both my husband and I have Fitbits, we're more motivated to walk the dogs longer than usual, go a few minutes extra, etc.

I've also started taking mini walk breaks at work, just 10 or 12 minutes to walk our parking deck because there is shade (needed here in FL for mid-day walks) and three floors to climb. 

I've also started volunteering on Saturdays at a local wildlife rescue center and I do a lot of intense labor and spend three hours on my feet, constantly moving.  I really get in the steps on those days!  

And of course, finding time for runs and walks early in the morning so I start my day with 4000-5000 steps before I've even left for work.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Ditto what @Heather-S said.

But also find something you like to do. Is it walking outside? There are also walking DVD for inside Search Youtube for Leslie Sansone.

Biking, Dancing? Try different things and see what you like. If you like it you will stick with it.

Youtube is loaded with a lot of different things.

If you don't like it then  its not worth doing if its a chore.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

For me, Wendy B is on the money. We all know what we're supposed to move more but the trouble is it can be so darn boring or pointless and you really need to want to exercise not just know that you have to before your pants no longer fit, you look like a troll in the party photos or your doctor sighs when they take your blood pressure. 

I am an avid gamer so looked at that angle. Pokemon Go has got the entire world off the couch because it actually gives you something to do in the great outdoors, rather than just walk around the block a couple of times. Zombie Run is a good one. You recieve missions and have to collect items and travel to locations with zombies chasing you so you best move your behind. They also have a Couch to 5K trainer so you don't need to perform to Olympic standards straight out of the gate.

Whilst exploring the wild beyond check out what your location offers. Are there any fun classes like salsa or barre? Maybe a pool? You can walk there (or from a more distant bus stop) and swim laps. My local pool offers aqua aerobics. Is travelling to a city an achievable outcome for you? Maybe you can suffer through walking around the block if once a week/fortnight/month you treat yourself and go to that trampolining or bouldering club.

Best Answer

You have gotten some great advice so far.  I have been sedentary for a long time, beginning with a health problem and I can vouch for the fact that remaining sedentary made things worse.  Getting started is the hardest part, like getting over a mountain.  It really does get easier and then you miss it if you can't move.

So:

1.  Find something fun for a few minutes to start with.  The suggestions here are great.  It could also be a sport, a hula hoop, borrow kids and play ball with them, or dance.  Anything to become a little active.

2. Increase very gradually after congratulating yourself for each thing you do.

3. Read about all of the health benefits to moving as well as being very active.  Read about the dangers of being sedentary.  Think about how long you want to live and about the quality of life you want.

4. It's mostly about commitment, and forming habits.  If you wait to want it, you may be waiting a long long time.  And that is a waste of life.  Commit to your health, to your future, to looking better, to the little black dress, whatever it is.  You have to choose - healthy or not.  Then pick one little habit to start.  I started during a very stressful period.  I was eating the stress (they just don't make enough cookies to eliminate stress) and decided two things.  I would walk every day as soon as I got out of bed.  And if I wanted junk food, I would have to first go for a walk.  I had my walking clothes and sneakers by the bed and went before I was fully awake.  At first I could only walk to the corner. And I live near the corner!  But I gradually increased.  Oh, I also had to download some rock music.  I focused on the music while I walked, even if it was for a few yards.  I also made promises to myself about rewards - new sneakers when I was up to a quarter of a mile, no t-shirt at half a mile, etc.  I had to earn the new stuff and the new stuff encouraged me.  I also walked very early before other people were around, so I didn't feel self-conscious.  But the commitment was to do it daily.  Like brushing teeth or just getting dressed - I didn't think about it - no option. And going first thing stopped me from procrastinating or from talking myself out of it.  Then I felt good about  my accomplishment all day.  It really energized me.  Even when it was a few yards.

I also kept track so I could see the very gradual increase.

Now I walk a few miles and it feels great.  Sometimes on the days I don't feel like being active, I end up having the very best experiences.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer

First, let me say that I've been there. Point of fact, I was so inactive, I got less than 1000 steps, rarely leaving the house, except to get groceries. 

One thing that helped me was my reunion coming up. I was not going to be so fat I couldn't fit into my clothes - and I sure didn't want my old friends looking better than me. So - ego was a part of it, yes. 

The other part was, in my sedentary state, I'd dropped a fork at the table. I leaned to my right to get it - and I felt the most uncomfortable twinge in my ...can't remember the name of it - but above the navel, along the edge of my ribs, something really hurt me when I leaned over to get that fork. 

Turns out I herniated myself just leaning over! 

I was 280 at the time. I knew, from having 3 hernia repairs prior (those 3 were inquinal - this one is apparently a stitial hernia due to a gall bladder removal.) that the worse shape you're in, the worse your recovery time. 

So, I spoke with the surgeon, he told me it was a small hernia and suggested if I was going to be active to walk or jog, and if I were going to lift weights to make them light with lots of reps. For me, as long as I get time under tension, I can still get some hypertrophy, so it was fine with me. 

I still haven't gotten the hernia repaired. Surgeon said I should get it fixed, but that there was only a 3% chance of anything adverse happening. He also said that it was a 3% chance of it strangulating and me dying. I'll roll the dice. I've already done things I wanted to do, if I die, I die. 

I'll get it fixed when I get more lean, maybe less than 200#'s. 

So - with that prognosis, it got me off my keester. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer

I was in the same boat as you, got 2000 steps on a good day. Finally decided to start walking at the mall. Couldn't walk very far to begin with, but when I wanted to quit I would see other walkers that were older than me and I would think "if they can do it, I can do it". Walking becomes easier the more you do it and about three months in I bought a treadmill at a garage sale. Now I can walk at home if I choose. Exercise will make you feel better, I can now climb steps without getting short of breath. I am at the point now (4 months in) that if I don't walk I miss it. This can be true with whatever exercise you decide is right for you, so do yourself a favor and get started!

Best Answer

I work during the school year, so I have to be fairly active, but once summer hit I've been glued to the couch.  Until this summer, that is. In March I had to turn things around, or else.  Here at home, once my housework is done, I sometimes have hours and hours stretching ahead of me.  It's really too hot to do much outside (heat index 108+) so I'm pretty much stuck inside after my early morning walk, 8 a.m. I make myself just get up and walk around my house. At first, it was once an hour, then every half hour, twenty minutes, ten minutes.  Sometime's I turn on some music and just dance, lol. I'm glad I'm home alone cause I know I look silly but it gets me moving.  If I had a two story house I'd make it a point of going up and down the stairs as many times as I could.  I don't, so I'm just roam around my house, alot!  Now I hardly sit at all. It seems I've managed to always find things to do, even little things, that keep me moving.  If getting up and moving is your goal, if you really want it, you'll find a way.  Where there's a will there's away.  Good luck, and don't get discouraged.  Baby steps are still steps!

Best Answer

Keep an eye on where you are during the day and specifically make a point to walk.  If you work in an office where you don't need to be tied to your desk... walk to someone's desk to ask a question, instead of calling.  I do this a lot on days when I'm not active.  However, I'm also lucky that I can get up and go into the plant to do this as well.

Yesterday, I spent a lot of time at my desk.  Early afternoon I realized this and volunteered to go down to shipping and hunt down a couple of parts. Once I got home I made a point to do stuff in the garden and have a swim.:

Monday.jpg

Today though, I was lucky, although I didn't get much accomplished, other than burn calories:

Today.jpg

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

I had such low steps until I found a workout program I enjoyed. I got DVDs so I can exercise at home (away from what I view as judgemental eyes), with my son around, and choose the workout that I will enjoy enough to stick with. And I always do it as soon as I get home from work, because I know that as soon as I sit down, I won't get up again!

Best Answer

I discovered jump roping.  I don't know how I really fell into it but it is a fantastic workout and steps add up quickly.  I watch lots of youtube videos on jump roping which are fun.  Good for you for finding something that works for you, too.  It makes all the difference.  

Best Answer

I was very touched by your post.  Good for you for getting out there.  Positive thinking and baby steps every day definitely makes a difference.  Your "aha moment" was beginning walking...mine was jump roping.  Heaven only knows what made me think of that but it has really made a huge difference and I love it.  I jump off the sofa during commercials and jump for a while.  There was definitely a learning curve in the beginning...it's timing and coordination.  Thank the lord I am tenacious and I just kept at it.  That was a few months ago and I have to admit, I've come a long way.  When I start exercising then I automatically begin eating healthier.  But before I never kept it up as a life style and I would eventually go back to my bad habits.  There was someone in my life who never really supported my efforts and would always down play them.  Eating was the one thing I could "control."  I always knew that attitude was really only hurting me in the long run but did not have the discipline to climb over that hurdle.  But somewhere a light bulb went off and things began falling into place and now I have the power to not let their negative thoughts pull me down.  Thank you for your post.  It was an inspiration.  I just discovered this Fitbit group and it feels like family.  Keep up the good work.

Best Answer

I think the suggestions and insights offered here are fantastic. they all share some common themes:  find what you love, set small goals and make a commitment to yourself. I think if you do these three things and ask yourself why not- you will accomplish great things. Don't forget to ask yourself why not. And of course the answer can't be I don't want to. You do, or you wouldn't have bothered to ask for help.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
Yes, I agree totally. Baby steps every day. 😝

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I have always liked to walk and also am an avid gamer so I did find I got very sedetary.  I just put a reminder on my calandar to go for a walk at 10 am everyday.  Started going around the block.  Also when my kids are at their Karate class rather than just sitting I got up and walked around that neighborhood.  Now with Pokemon Go we go to a park in the evening and I walk the track because there are like 7 Pokestops on the track.  I could just walk back and forth between them, but the track is .5 miles so I just walk 4 loops.  Now I am working on a couch to 5K program in the evening.

I used to love hiking with the Boy Scouts and just being outside.  I started Geocaching which was fun for awhile but just way to much setup before you go out.  Pokemon go fixed that.  I find that I like to be outside and if I am outside I walk.  My kids are out of school for the summer so I make the 10 year old go with me and she rides her bike.

Best Answer

Depending on what I have going I can be very sedentary on the weekends.  In fact my steps have been lower the last couple of weeks (probably the heat).  This last Saturday I was awake before I normally am.  I have the 250 steps counter set to 7am to 9pm during the week, but I tend to ignore it on the weekends.  I decided that I would aim for 500 steps an hour.  Saturday I actually managed 10,000 (which I rarely hit) and Sunday I did over 7000.  I've been keeping that up this week as well.  Went from 5790 over the last 28 days to 7558 in the last 7.  However, that still covers a couple of days last week when they were only in the 5000 range.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

I adopted a new shelter dog after my last one passed.  A shelter dog that is high-energy and needs to be walked.  A lot!  He doesn't give me a choice.  LOL!  That wasn't my intention when I adopted him, but that's happened and that's what initially got me off the couch and walking.

Best Answer

GOAL SET.....

Best Answer

Lacieloo,

The first step you did was to get a fitbit and join this forum!

Congratulations!

I was there with you until last January- bed to the car- car to work chair- small steps to lunch and back- work to car- car to couch at home- a sack of Cheetos the TV and dinner and dessert.

I was happy- but I was miseable being sedintary and kept telling myself tomorrow.

I joined a weight loss challenge at work and that jump started me. Along with taking my 85 year old mother to the doctor 4 times a month helped me ask the question- where do I want to be healthwise at 85.

I chose to be healthy and healthy for me. Our family has had all kinds of weigh challenges from overweight to my really skinny boys. All of the replies you have recieved are great information and advise. But it's up to you and you can do it.Your family may not be on board with you but stay determined.

Baby steps and the step counts get addictive. Set goals and log what you eat and drink daily for three months. We know it takes 2 weeks of repitition to make a habit. drink a lot of water as most of the time our brain is thirsty and when we think snack it makes your mouth water. And when we have a sugary snack our mouth waters and it tells our brain we're no longer thirsty. Drop the pop and add the water.

I started with a 200 calorie burn on the treadmill and it was tough. Now I run 2.5 miles every other day except Sunday and it allows me to eat as much as I want- but I eat on the healthy side. I've dropped 24 pounds and I'm maintaining.

Good luck, stay determined and keep getting advise from this site. You've started a great thread.

Healthy at 51
Best Answer

I live in a city, which helps. I rely on public transit (although my apartment building is very close to the bus stop), which helps somewhat. Most days, when I'm changing buses on the way home, I get off  stop early so I walk a little extra to get to my second bus. And grocery shopping and running errands (on foot and transit) is a great way to get steps in.

During the day, the Alta really helps(when my boyfriend saw how much I loved my Flex, he offered to get me a nicer one for my birthday a couple weeks ago). One reason I chose the Alta is that you can set reminders to get up and walk if you haven't reached 250 steps in an hour (and you choose the hours). I make sure I get up and walk around the office once or twice an hour, and when I use the restroom, I take a circuitous route back. On workdays, I've been very good about getting all my hours; the weekends, not so much.

I've found a number of 10-minute workout videos, and I do two or three of those, sometimes a workout on an app.  There's also a fitness center in my building, and I do 20 minutes on the treadmill. I'm trying to get into shape where I can add five to ten minutes on the elliptical  

Start slowly and gradually work your way to walking more.

Best Answer