Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you break out of your sedentary lifestyle?

I'm super sedentary; I move very little, your average couch potato, and if I'm just going about my daily routine I'll get only 1,000-2,500 steps per day. What I want to know is, how do those with sedentary lifestyles find the motivation to increase their activity level? Are there any tips or tricks that could be offered to me?

Best Answer
396 REPLIES 396

What a great way to keep moving. Impressed and encouraged!!!

Best Answer
great ideas! Stationary bike will not work for e right now with my ongoing hip issues, but sure gives me something to think about

Sent from Windows Mail
Best Answer

good tips hope these will help

keith Bonney

Best Answer
0 Votes

First and foremost, you must, must, must, began a diet regiment that allows you the energy to get motivated. The better you eat, the better you'll feel, and the more energy you have. Start by supplementing soda for fruit smoothies. Add whatever you can that's good for you to the drinks until you can just about drink them comfortably. The more good stuff you add, the better you'll feel. As time goes by, just sub out the McDonalds with a meal of vegetables, a healthy protein source, and a healthy grain like quinoa, brown rice, etc. Then move into low fat dairy for snacking. The interesting thing is you'll find yourself trying new things you never ate before whenever you get the chance. The downside is there is very little variety in the supermarket when it comes to good healthy food, so get use to eating the same foods over and over again. Good luck and I hope this helps. You are what you eat.

Best Answer

And improved/saved 2 lives in the process!

Best Answer
0 Votes

For me, just trying to beat yesterday's record motivated me. I am new to the Fitbit group but when I used my pedometer, even if walked to the other side of the house to earn 50 more steps, I'd do it to beat yesterday. Little by little, I usually walk about 13,500 steps a day. My dog is over weight and the doctor asked me to walk him a bit longer every day, that helps motivate me. It is really hot here so I have to walk him around 6:30 any later it is in high 90's so walking him when it is cooler is motivation.

Best Answer

Hi! I think it is amazing that you put on over 13,000 steps a day! You have a great attitude. Hang on to it! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Slowmotion - I feel I can do anything in the world in baby steps! When I
moved to Japan my first baby step was going to the market and asking for
what I wanted, it was so difficult but I did it. When I left 17 years later
I was still finding things to do in baby steps. When we moved to China it
was the same thing all over again - except I felt as if I was under a
microscope. We finally moved back to the states and baby steps all over
again.except I gained twenty pounds since we moved back and I was almost a
hermit for the first year.

I hope you are moving more, even five more steps a day is five more steps.

Natsuko a.k.a. Linda
Best Answer
Dear Linda,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I wish I could say I have been a 'good
girl' this past week and done my 10,000 steps a day. Nope! My husband and I
found a million totally feeble excuses why we simply could not put on our
running shoes and get out there. My guilt is *overwhelming*!

So, having said that, we are promising each other that this coming week we
WILL get back on track! I have high hopes that we will follow through.

When I first started the "fitbit thing" I was doing my steps alone. My
husband was not remotely interested. Well! This time he has discovered he
likes the path I found and he is doing the 10,000 steps with me! I hope we
will stick to the master plan. Fingers crossed. Let's see what happens
tomorrow 😊

I found your story very interesting. You have had a fascinating life. I *HEAR
*your hermit comment. I know what that is like.

Cruz aka Slowmotion
Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't give up!!! Take it ONE DAY AT A TIME. Before you know it you will be a real keener!!! Let me know how you make out.  Start now!!! Go put your runners on! Go out the door! Start walking!

Best Answer

I like what you said. I am copying it. I wont forget it. Thanks for the tip. It's a gooder!!! I never thought of it that way. I'm already encouraged.Smiley Very Happy

"walk for 5 minutes. Seriously. It takes about 5 minutes to get 500 steps. Just every half hour, walk in circles in your kitchen or back and forth between the two furthest points in your home." 

Slowmotion

Best Answer

You are motivating. Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Gary. I like what you said. Hope you are getting stronger every day.

Cruz

Best Answer
0 Votes
Cruz

I think the biggest factor in getting in all my steps.and I also have a
million reasons why I don't want to get out there and move.my dog. He was a
rescue and loves to eat. He is overweight and has to lose weight, he was
abused before I got him and he has disc problems in his lower back. He won't
eat lower calorie dog food, so I walk him a bit further every day and cut a
few kibbles from his lunch and dinner. My husband was told by his doctor to
lose weight and exercise but I can't snap a leash on him and say "let's go
for a walk!" I hope he (husband not dog) decides to be competitive.you know
"if you can do 13K I bet I could do 13,005 steps." Oh well, we will get
there eventually. I don't care if he is overweight all I want is for him to
be healthy, so what ever gets him moving is fine with me.

Linda
Best Answer

@Slowmotion,

A couple years I bought 25 Sony Batteries on Amazon for $25. It took the pain out of looking for a new battery every six weeks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Linda, good for you for getting a rescue dog (I have to put that out there, as I'm mom to a shelter cat). 

I'm trying to get my boyfriend to get into exercise with me, but not much luck. He at least is supportive of me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DanielleinDC getting your partner to participate may be a challenge on its own 😉 I'm trying to get my wife into running or gym. I realise however not everyone finds these activities suitable so I'm not pushy. What works for my wife is having own Fitbit. Yesterday she did her first 36k steps ( we did lots of walking around Central London ) and from time to time she remembers about the tracker on her wrist and asks to do something together. Still, though she's not so committed as I am, the will must come from her. She finds hundreds of excuses not to do things. Comparing her lifestyle before I got her the Fitbit ( and when asked she didn't want it but I bought it anyway ) and now, then definitely there's a change for better. She understood what's happening when she used to spend all days in bed watching TV etc. and what difference now it makes when she's even a little more active. I wish we could, for example, run together but it's important to understand the partner may have different needs and a different pace of getting into things. If she takes smaller steps rather than leaps into more healthy lifestyle and it's by her own will, then I'm happy for her 🙂 Small steps may be a key here to get your partner into exercising 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got an email from Fitbit saying my battery was almost done! Huh???? I just put it in about a month ago!!! What's with that?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hope your wife starts to notice how good it feels when you actually get out there and "do it." I find there is definitely something mentally positive about the process. I'm sure the fact that our weather is really lovely right now. When the rain comes I may not be nearly so enthusiastic Smiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Getting your spouse to join in the Fitbit fun can be challenging, but well worth the effort. I started my journey many years ago. My husband was not interested, he thought wearing a tracker was ridiculous and walking was boring. Fast forward nearly 7 years, we both wear Fitbits (own styles several each), compete with each other and our friends, walk our dogs twice daily and enjoy long hikes on the weekends. My husband now even walks to work when he has enough time. The journey took time and patience on my part. I started by finding 'fun' ways to get him to take a walk with me. When he started to get interested and more willing to go, I extended the length of the walks, over the course of several weeks we got our distance up to a 5K. At which point I suggested an organized fun run. He was amazed we had been walking that distance every evening and was excited to try a race. We didn't come in last, but it was close. No worries, we had fun and agreed to try another to improve our time. We eventually goy to where we walk/jogged 1/2 marathons and have completed in 13 of them to date. My husband and I have a great time hiking with our adult kids, something they too never thought they'd see their dad do. Goodness all around. The reason I am sharing is to encourage everyone who has a significant other that is resistant to not give up, keep asking them to join you, take them to a park or even where they will need to walk to enjoy the experience, be creative in your thinking to bring them along and enjoy walking with you. Best of luck.

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer