Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you break out of your sedentary lifestyle?

I'm super sedentary; I move very little, your average couch potato, and if I'm just going about my daily routine I'll get only 1,000-2,500 steps per day. What I want to know is, how do those with sedentary lifestyles find the motivation to increase their activity level? Are there any tips or tricks that could be offered to me?

Best Answer
396 REPLIES 396

Good Post!! Have a Great Day!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! My first post, yay! 🙂

I procrastinate, i intellectualize everything and love being passive. My sis gave me a gift for my bday - charge2 and told me this gift comes with a message - start moving. My occasional arrythmias and high BP esp. after overindulging in good food supplied the motivation. I wore the fitbit and started walking. Surprised that the number of steps accumulated motivated me. The Fall weather in NYC was not too chill for a post-lunch walk to Central Park. I hope I keep this up. For my own sake.

My best response to break out of the sedentary lifestyle - everyone has different sets of knobs. Find yours and twist it till you move. It's too soon for me to say it is a habit but I am inspired by the replies here. You are not alone and the human condition is to be social. Reach out, someone is always listening.

Best Answer

I walk the length of my house on commercial breaks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can do a mini-trampoline too...!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like it, when people post outdoor pic's of where their going to walk or hike, etc., Beautiful....

Best Answer
0 Votes

That Total Gym sounds interesting....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good Post!! Thank-you for the information on the bloodstream and the lymph system. I like to know why....

Best Answer
0 Votes

?? Please elaborate what you're saying and meaning in your post. Thank-you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Muscle helps to burn fat.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@venetiakelley wrote:

?? Please elaborate what you're saying and meaning in your post. Thank-you.

To whom are you responding?

Best Answer
0 Votes

You've definitely got the right idea. Good post! Your sis must really love you 🙂 Listen to her!!! You wont believe how fast you are totally comfortable going for walks that are 13,000 steps. It's really quite amazing.

Best Answer

I was just looking for ways to burn 200 calories and I found this little article on cleaning.

https://www.rd.com/health/wellness/calories-burned-spring-cleaning/

Out with the rubber gloves, on with the fast music...................................

Dance. Smile. Giggle. Marvel. TRUST. HOPE. LOVE. WISH. BELIEVE. Most of all, enjoy every moment of the journey, and appreciate where you are at this moment instead of focusing on how far you have to go.
Best Answer

How to break out of a sedentary lifestyle?  Here's what worked for me:  BE LAZY & START SMALL - find one 5 to 10 minute enjoyable activity such as a walk around the block, and try to repeat it the same time every day.  It has to be so easy that you will not tend to procrastinate.

Repetition is key.  Once you repeat it for a couple of weeks, it will start to become a mindless habit.  I'm into mindless.  

Once you've integrated a mindless activity habit into your life, you will have more energy, no longer view yourself as sedentary, and will naturally seek out more activity.  A virtuous circle.

Best Answer

I echo what a lot of the other responses have said. There are many ways to break out of your sedentary lifestyle but it is definitely not an easy thing to do! I still sometimes struggle to find the motivation to be active. But if you're interested in figuring out what motivates you consider participating in the DAMS study. This program has four brief online modules that are designed to help you re-evaluate your relationship with physical activity and prepare you to break through those barriers and find the motivation to being active! To reserve your spot in the program click here to complete the initial survey today.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone!

Have you been struggling to stick with your physical activity routine? If so you aren't alone! Many people (even those of us who start off with the strongest of intentions) find physical activity falls to the wayside when life gets busy. If this sounds like you, the DAMS study may be able to help! This program features four brief online modules to help you investigate what 'counts' as physical activity, figure out why you want to be active, and develop strategies to keep up your activity despite the craziness of the day. Complete this survey to reserve your spot and get started on the path to a more active lifestyle!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Breaking out of a sedentary lifestyle means picking an activity that YOU think is fun. If its not fun or enjoyable to you, you probably won't do it for long.

Best Answer

I'm just beginning here - have had my fitbit 3 days!!  Need beginner's advice for a 72 y/o retired Public Health NP who is 30 lbs. over weight!!  I have access to a swimming pool a walking track (in-door) & many different work-out machines.  I've started with the cycling ones.  I'm afraid of falling & don't want to get injured - I'm a care taker at home & must get healthy & in better shape.  Question: how come housework doesn't count as a valid activity (scrubbing bathrooms, vacuuming, mopping, etc.)?

Best Answer

cleaning is light activity do not expect to burn much calories from it. I do zumba, walk and do weights as well as hip hop abs workouts. I've lost over 27 pounds so far. I walk at work and do zumba at home. I drink plenty of water and track my food and water intake on my fitbit. I make sure to go over 10000 steps a week and exercise 5-6 days a week. I make sure I go over 80000 steps a week. I rest on the weekends

Best Answer

That is a very good question. I use many of the tips I have seen people post. With a bit of effort I can easily get 10k a day. BUT that is not enough for me to get healthier or to lose any lbs. In fact I keep gaining. Only thing that ever worked for me was having a friend in my life who wanted to reach similar goals so we did everything together. I don't do things solo. I don't do anything alone. I just won't. Problem is right now in my life I don't know anybody. I have no friends that are offline. I have my PS4 friends who play games with me, a few facebook friends that are just people who are into the same things as me like rescueing dogs er whatever and family members living in other states. Yes, my life is pretty pathetic.

Best Answer
0 Votes
You mention the key to success yourself.....goals. Set some goals and and get busy. You are worth it.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer