Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get those extra steps in?

I live about four miles from my workplace and although I haven't yet walked all four miles to or from work, there are a few games I play during the week to increase my stepcount.

Some days I'll take the hillier, windier, unnecessarily long route to BART (San Francisco's heavy-rail rapid transit system). Almost always, I forgo the escalator for the stairs. Today, that act alone added 5 flights of stairs and over 250 steps to my morning journey.

My other favorite "cheat" is high stepping in place. Sure, I may look a little odd bouncing up and down while typing at my makeshift standing desk, but it feels good to keep the blood flowing and the legs moving! 

What do you do to get your extra steps in?

Best Answer
1,174 REPLIES 1,174

My flex one fitbit keeps its charge for only 4 days (5 at the most)! Plus it is a pain to get it to charge. Do others have this problem? What should i do?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I charge mine while I'm in the car.  That way I don't get any fantom steps while I'm driving and I keep my device topped up.

Best Answer

The simple answer, ready for this, go take a hike!!

Best Answer

@Jaime75035 I would love one of those its seems like so much fun to just be at your house and just bouncing around........ When I need the extra steps I sometimes walk from one place to another multiple times or i put music on and move around some days I say its okay i got enough steps yesterday or on Thursday when my boyfriend was on a fire call I discover just dance and the 2048 game on Apple TV and that its just as active maybe a little less then if you where on the wii playing 

Best Answer

I just pace/walk around for no reason at times. Also, I found audiobooks work best for me - I don't even realise when I hit my goal!

Best Answer

I'm homebound and walk around in my basement.  I think I have an invisible track now.  Of course reading some other thread on here it seems as though I'm not "truly walking".  

Best Answer

@MoonstoneWolf I would call it walking 🙂 your still moving... Just like in the car sitting when being a passenger my boyfriend calls it cheating when i move my arms around but i am moving my whole top half.. I feel like if I am moving around and not just sitting there waving your arms around that it is perfectly okay thing to do 🙂 steps should count 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure if someone mentioned this, but I adjusted my work desk to standing height.  It's been great to be upright and I can do small exercises throughout the day to raise my heart rate a little.  Like knee highs, kick backs, standing side left side lifts, lunges, squats or just general dynamic stretching.  Of course, I work from home so no one but the dog is around to give me funny looks.  I still do my regular runs/strength training outside work hours, but it sure feels better to not be sitting on my butt for 9+ hours. 

Best Answer

I did this, too.  It really helps not to sit around as much when you can move a little -  besides I'm getting my office work done at the same time.    Way to go..  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I walk to work and back 15 mins each way, if I start later I walk along the harbour and up and down steps there. I have steps in the flats where I live so do each day and days off walk abit longer 

Best Answer

A lot of people at my office have their fitibit set to vibrate every hour that they don't meet the minimum step goal, so they will get up and start jogging in place at their desk while they work until they get caught up. I don't care about meeting the step goal, I only care about burning more calories than I eat, and I've discovered that the best way for me to do that is to get my heart rate into the the peak range and keep it there for a period of time by climbing stairs. It's easy to add flights of stairs. Today my daughter needed to pick up something at the mall, so instead of going inside with her, I waited in the parking garage, and walked up and down the stairs. I added ten flights! There is a park on the way home from my work on a big hill and has 300 stairs going up to the top. I stop on the way home and walk up it every day that I don't need to hurry home. It only takes 20 minutes. 

Best Answer

I charge mine when I am in the shower.

Best Answer

@Serenityrosee I charge mine depending on where i am in the car.... its good especially if its a long drive 

Best Answer

Put on music and dance. 

Best Answer

Love that idea. But I don't have any music on my device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Serenityrosee you do not need music on your device you can use Spotify all you need is internet and the rest is free unless you have premium

Best Answer

I don't have Spotify either, I can't afford the airtime and it drains my battery. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I should do that. Too lazy to carry my charger around I guess!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I should do that. Too lazy to carry my charger around I guess!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@Serenityrosee yes data can be exepensive but at night you can connect your phone to WiFi and plug it in just to get those extra steps in 

Best Answer