Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does someone get 70-90 k steps a day

I was looking at the leaders in some of the groups im in and some of them have 70k plus steps a day

How is that possible?

Best Answer
0 Votes
17 REPLIES 17

70,000 steps (at about 2,000 steps per mile) is about 45 miles.

Draw your own conclusions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know several that are ultra Runners and do more than that i n a day. Not daily of course.

But I know others that do do 40-50K a day. On a daily basis.

Just do what you feel comforatble with and dont worry about what others do.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Build up gradually, no need forcing your body. There's a recommendation of 10.000 steps a day, which doesn't mean you have to go for to reach daily.. when not feeling up to (like when being sick), listen to your wonderful body, allowing to recover, but keeping in movement just a little bit if possible.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@yarddog wrote:

70,000 steps (at about 2,000 steps per mile) is about 45 miles.

Draw your own conclusions.

An average person would walk at the rate of about 3 miles/hour, so that's 15 hrs./day of walking.

An average person would run a marathon (26.1 miles) in about 3 hours, so that's about 5+ hrs./day

It's highly unlikely, particularly on a daily basis, and qualifies for Guinness Book of World Records.

This has been discussed here previously, and there are those who say they do this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@wdenton07 You also need to make sure you are looking at the Leaderboard correctly. Its goes by a month average in groups only.

So what ever is the number there today you need to divide it by the day of the week to get their average steps per day. A lot of new people do not understand this about the Leaderboards

So just make sure you are seeing it correctly.

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

70 k steps @ 2000 steps per mile = 35 miles, not 45! My pace is about 4 mph and I walk 8 to 10 hours every day. Do the math. I do what I do for me and not for anyone else, but it bothers me that people question steps that me and many others achieve each and every day.

Best Answer

Awesome job on your steps @stepaholic You rock! Smiley Very Happy

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

@stepaholic I have a serious question for you - why? I am not trying to belittle what you do. Far from it - I am very impressed. But I wonder why you feel the need to get so many steps a day, every day. What benefit do you feel it gives you? I am asking because I spend many hours getting steps also, but I've been thinking that perhaps I need to spend some of those hours doing other exercises, like strength training, instead. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
It really makes me feel good, I enjoy it, no I love it and I've lost 32
pounds this year! Like my name says, I'm a stepaholic!

Thanks for asking.

Stepaholic
Best Answer
0 Votes

Then that's all that matters. Good for you, @stepaholic

Best Answer
0 Votes

Stepaholic - I could never get as many steps in a day as you buy I am with you on loving it! I find walking very relaxing and rejuvenating at the same time ! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Music and exercise, what could be better (well maybe a couple of things)!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @wdenton07!  Just wanted you to know that I've gone ahead and moved your recent topic "How does someone get 70-90 k steps a day" to the Get Fit board. Hope this helps you to receive a response you're looking for. 

Keep participating in the Community! 

Fitbit Community ModeratorVivian | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did this help you? Help others by marking it as a solution! 🙂

Best Answer

Are you still doing this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I work at a warehouse; I did this on purpose so I could stay more active.   On average I work 4-5 days a week, with about 10 hours a day.  In that time I walk 20k-30k steps a day.  That's only about a mile an hour.  This is easy since I tend to always walk about 3 mph. (At work there is alot of stopping and pallet jack pulling.)  This comes to about 80k-150k steps a week, I seem to average about 104k a week.  So just at work I walk 49 miles a week.  I also try to run 5km at least once in 30 minutes on the weekends.  Currently I am trying to get down to a fasting weight of 155 lbs.  I weight 170 lbs, I think I have plateau'd out.  I do track my BMR, and I haven't really lost any weight in a few weeks.  I am about to start running for 30 minutes 3 days a week.  (Not a 5k, just a run.)  I have been skinny most of my life, now I am 35 and a couple of years ago I was almost 200 lbs.  In that time I have losted about 30 pounds.  I have also been working on increasing my muscle mass.  The biggest hurtle in life is you.  You have to make time for what's important to you.  I know if I didn't work where I work my steps would be alot less.  Sometimes you have to make sacrifices.  There are days that I feel so hungry, there are days that I cheat, there are days I'm down right lazy.  You didn't gain weight overnight, it took days, weeks, and years.  It will take days, weeks, and years to loose it.  

At my weight I burn about 40 cals every 1k steps.  I would have to walk 175,000 steps to burn a pound of fat (3,500 cals).  My BMR is around 1,800 cals, but I need around 3,500 cals... especially if I'm going to start walking 80 miles a day.

This is simply not possible.  I can run about 5-6 mph, and I "SHOULD" sleep 8 hours a day.  Therefore I would have to run my top speed for 16 hours straight.  I would also have to eat 3,500 cals, and drink 7 gallons of water; while I'm running at my top speed. (You loose about 1.5qts/h while running, and need about a gallon a day.)  Your heart would probably explode. 

Just for perspective, according to greek legend, the soldier Pheidippides ran a "marathon" (~25 miles) Greece to Athens in 490 B.C.  He did this to tell the Athenians the Persians were defeated. He died as soon as he told them.

No one is going to loose a pound of fat a day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The most I had ever done was 90,000 steps in one day.  I was constantly moving and got by on sometimes 2 hours or less of sleep.  Now I average about 40,000+ steps a day.

Best Answer

IMG_0425.png

Very impressive, I achieved the same with no training but a coke addiction and movement disorder 

Best Answer