Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many days should I rest between runs?

Would like some advice from serious runners, athletic trainers, etc.

Beginning-ish runner here. Here are some general facts/stats to tell you where I am. I've run two 5ks in the past two months: one at 22:30 (hurt my calves doing so), recovered and ran the next at 23:30. Now I am on a training program that has me running (suggested) roughly three days per week with crosstraining on my off days. However, I have started to work like this: do a quality run, then take the next two days off, then do the next quality run. I still find myself somewhat fatigued on the day of my quality runs,  though. Am I pushing myself too quickly? My last run was my long run (6 miles yesterday at an 8:40 ish pace;however, the goal was to be at about 8:10), and I feel okay today. No serious pain or discomfort while walking or at a light jog, but I definitely couldn't go out and put a couple miles in without paying for it later. The fatigue and discomfort at the end of my runs seems to be in my soleus and my IT band.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

With or without any cross-training, most people should do one or two "quality" runs a week, with any other runs being mostly "easy". You should be able to recover from most hard workouts within 24-48 hours or so. Otherwise, you may be doing too much. Shorter easy runs allow you to recover as well.

Sounds like you are running 10-18 miles per week, and that most of those miles are at a faster pace than they should be, which is very typical of newer runners - so yes, I think you are pushing yourself too much. Follow a well-recognized Beginner's Running Program that recommends building a solid "base" for several months first. Gradually increase your weekly mileage, but by no more than about 10% a week; every three weeks or so, take a "step-back" week doing half your recent weekly milelage (to give your body time to rest and recover).Then, if you want to continue to run races for Personal Records rather than just for fun, google well-know programs by Hal Higdon, Rick Morris, Daniels, Pfitzinger, etc.

From the times you posted, I would think you can do very well with a good program, and if you have patience. Not having patience can result in injury. Good luck!

I'm not a coach or trainer - started running 12 years ago at 58, and currently am doing 45 mpw, and haven't had an injury in years.

Best Answer

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of going one week at half the miles of the previous week. I think that may be in order for next week. I have set a goal of doing a 5k at the end of each  month, and that has helped keep me motivated; however, that may also be pushing me a little too hard too soon. My short terms goals are  to 1.) break 22 mins in the 5k, 2.) complete a 10k. Long term I plan on placing. I just need to make sure I am training smarter and thinking a year down the road instead of to the next race. Thanks again for the input. 

Best Answer
0 Votes