Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many steps per day for a 93-year-old man?

ANSWERED

How many steps per day for a 93-year-old man?  He recently started walking with a cane.  We are giving him a Fitbit tonight.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Iamrosebud Welcome to the forum. Not to sound flip in any way, but my answer would be any many steps as he can do. 🙂 Seriously, hard to give you a number without knowing his current fitness level. I'd suggest having him do what is comfortable several days in a row and then use that as a bench mark for his goal. Good luck to the fortunate recipient of a new Fitbit tonight. Keep us posted on his progress.

Marci | Bellevue, WA

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Hello,

how often does he go walking? 

He may do between 2500 - 5000 steps per day?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Iamrosebud Welcome to the forum. Not to sound flip in any way, but my answer would be any many steps as he can do. 🙂 Seriously, hard to give you a number without knowing his current fitness level. I'd suggest having him do what is comfortable several days in a row and then use that as a bench mark for his goal. Good luck to the fortunate recipient of a new Fitbit tonight. Keep us posted on his progress.

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

We will know soon.  I estimate maybe 1,800 per day.  He is so awesome.

Best Answer
0 Votes

We gave the Fitbit last night and decided to monitor for daily this week and then the week total to get the average. The doctor wants him to walk a little more so this will be fun for him.  I talked to the senior living facility.  They are going to let me put the sync gadget on the reception computer so when he gets his candy treat, it will sync.  He has walked a lot his whole life.  Thank you both for your help.  I'll let you know in a week.

Best Answer

I love this! Love that you are giving an elderly person the gift of incentive! I would say keep his step goal low enough to be reachable but high enough to be a bit of a challenge. Only you know him well enough to know what that would be... maybe 3,000?

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is awesome! Looking forward to reports on how he is doing!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am curious about updates as well.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes