Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep working out with a injury?

I hadn't been back to the gym for a while, when i discovered this cool app c25k..I started to use it and it went well for the first day or two. You walk then run ect ect...When my foot starts to hurt. So i quit for a little while thinking i over did it and now i went to the doctor and i have a bruised heel. It could take months to get better, So my question is How do i keep working out on it without hurting it too much? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Welcome to the forums @Xenasheena! I'm on the same boat as you are; a couple months ago I had heel pain tooI and I was a bit stubborn to wear insoles and rest my foot;  so I ended up ripping my fasciia and I'm having a hard time to get back on track.

In this case, I'll tell you what my Dr told me: Rest your foot or it'll get worse. 

Workout wise, pilates and swimming are excellent exercises that won't put any pressure on your feet and help you heal while being fit. 

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions Cat Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

With exercise, when not used to, build up gradually (total time of exercise / increasing intensity) & listen to your body when needing rest.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with @HelenaFitbit you need to rest the foot until it gets better

But ask your DR for what non bearing exercise you can do.

Swimming is one. You could do weights if you dont put pressure on the heel. So do them in a chair or a weight bench at the gym

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Injuries stink! I jured my hamstring a acouple months ago and it's still healing. I would deff. recommend taking some fish oil. Fish oil is a great source of emega 3's which are anti- inflammatory and are also good for your nurvous system. Your heel is an awful place to get hurt so maybe try walking at a steady pace until it fully heals. Walking is still really good for your overall health and body, especially for your heart. Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GreenIriesEyes wrote:

Injuries stink! I jured my hamstring a acouple months ago and it's still healing. I would deff. recommend taking some fish oil. Fish oil is a great source of emega 3's which are anti- inflammatory and are also good for your nurvous system. Your heel is an awful place to get hurt so maybe try walking at a steady pace until it fully heals. Walking is still really good for your overall health and body, especially for your heart. Smiley Very Happy

I had no idea about fish oil, thanks for the tip! I'll get some today Smiley Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow, also try to remember that style of running - and don't do it again.

Many shoes with thick padding just encourage the totally wrong way to land.

And that padding doesn't help that much with a 150 lb body coming down on it with 250 lbs of force for instance.

As you walk now - try to practice what the running should have been - mid-foot strike.

Forefoot lands just an instant before the calves and quads help cushion the landing while the heel comes down and barely touches, then springing to next step off the forefoot.

Now with walking you likely can land totally flat footed - you'll have to shorten your stride though, and to keep pace increase your step turnover to compensate.

And there are tons of strength training you can do, using your own body weight, so more prepared for the next attempt.

Calf raises and squats come to mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree swimming is one way to work out when hurt.  I managed to fall over a tree branch only two days ago.  I swam yesterday...I was slow as all heck but I was moving. 

Keep Moving, you've got this.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Due to plantar fasciitis I was unable to walk. Upon getting my orthofeet shoes I have been able to keep my active lifestyle, even though i still have the plantar fasciitis. I would recommend these shoes to anyone who has foot problems. I have finally been able to control the pain

Best Answer
0 Votes