Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manually track kettlebells?

I've been told not to wear my fitbit when doing kettlebells because it doesn't help with form - I have to admit that it seems to get in the way for me.

I don't want to miss out on tracking my calories burnt or missing out on an exercise session - does anyone how to manually track kettlebells.  I know calories burnt will be very different from person to person.

Thanks!

Rachel

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

I just put my Fitbit in my pocket during kettle bells and boxing. What it doesn't track isn't really an issue forme. I know I did the work and I'm the only that matters 

Best Answer
0 Votes

if you add the activity manually it will give you the estimated calories for that activity- they will not be specific to you. If you have an HR tracker- having it on is the only way to track close to accurate calories. If your tracker does not have HR then it doesn't matter because all calories are estimated.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I work out with kettlebells frequently and always wear my Charge 2. I don't see how it would interfere.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

You can manually enter workouts. And there is also an option to adjust the calories if the one displayed is low or high.

I use:

FitBit Aria
MyFitnessPal and MapMyRide, Garmin VivoSmart

Best Answer
how do i manually enter activity on my fit bit ultra
Best Answer
0 Votes

@WavyDavey wrote:

I work out with kettlebells frequently and always wear my Charge 2. I don't see how it would interfere.

Ditto.  I wear a sweatband over mine so it doesn't scratch it up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've always wonder how one could possibly estimate how many calories are burned in any type of resistance workout.  For instance, I do barbell training.   For me, the entire workout takes about two hours, but I'm resting a good four minutes between my heaviest sets.  There are moments when I'm actually squatting with 110 pounds on my back, or lifting 65 pounds up over my head---and those moments are extremely challenging work for me, being a smallish, middle-aged woman.  Then I need to rest for a few minutes to recover for the next set.  There are also warm-ups with lighter weight, and moments where I'm moving plates on and off of the bar, and those all burn some calories, but who knows how many?  I'm not very big, and I don't expect that anything I do burns a huge amount, no matter how challenging it is for me.  

If I go to the Fitbit exercise database and try to log in "Weight training, 2 hours", I have absolutley no idea how that would compare to what I'm actually doing.  I ask myself, does that database information assume a workout like mine?  Or does it assume I'm doing 3 pound dumbbell curls for two hours with no rest?  Or 20 pound dumbbell curls?  There's no way of knowing.  During my 2 hour workout, I'm probably only actually moving weight for about 20 minutes, I estimate, because most of the workout is resting.  So would I log "20 minutes of weight training"?   I could lift lighter weights and take shorter rests.  Maybe that would burn more calories, but maybe it would burn fewer.  There's no way to know.  (I choose heavier because my goal is strength, but I can't assume that the activities database knows that.)  

Those are some of the questions I've asked myself, and I've concluded that it's just not possible to know all that, so I just don't bother trying to count those calories.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. I was wondering where they were getting their numbers from, since they are estimating the calories burned as far, far less than MyFitnessPal does. Unfortunately, I think I'm off the other end of the earth on that one; MyFitnessPal says I burn too many calories to be real. which one is accurate? Does Fitbit take my muscle mass into account, since I have been exercising 3 times a week at the gym with a trainer for coming up on 7 years now?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought an awesome weight glove that is petite and goes all the way over my fitbit. It works perfectly and doesn't hinder any exercises with the kettle bells.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know this post is out of date, but my new charge 4 gets in the way a lot - especially when racked in TGU, cleans, jerks, presses. I turned it around to face inside my wrist, but the device seemed to overcompensate the pulse. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dave8 in general, any wearable device worn on the wrist will get in the way of kettlebells (I had tjr same problem). The tracker isn't designed to read HR any other way but with the placement mentioned in the manual. It may work but it doesn't have to and really not much can be done. For kettlebell training, I find watches that connect to external HR sensors much better. Then, I can take the watch off and it still captures my HR.

Best Answer
0 Votes