Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Think I Fixed My Heart!!!

A little background,

A few years ago or so I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. I tried to control it with diet and was hospitalized several times (two of which I had sepsis). The infections kept coming back worse and I was told I had to have a section of my colon removed. I was obese and at a very poor fitness level at the time, and was a heavy smoker (up to 3 packs a day) for over 40 years.

I had to get my heart and lungs checked out before they would do the surgery so I went to have that done. My lung testing revealed that I had COPD. I had a stress test done and it did not come back good so they did a catheterization. This uncovered a small portion of the bottom of my heart that was slightly enlarged, and they told me that I could have had a mini heart attack at some point. I also have had blood clot issues and am currently on blood thinners.

They still where able to do the surgery, but they told me I had to start exercising and lose weight or I would not be around too much longer. I went back to my doctor some time after and he did an EKG. He told me that I was not in heart failure yet, but I was headed in that direction. He told me the same as all the other doctors told me about exercising and losing weight. And quitting smoking.

That scared me so I went out and got a cheap fitness tracker, started getting more steps in, and tracking my food intake. I started walking every day and could only make it about a mile at about a 3 mph pace before having to lay down and feeling like I was going to die. I know the people at my apartment complex watching me walk were thinking that I was going to fall over and die, and I became known as "the old walker guy". I kept doing it 2, 3, sometimes 4 times a day no matter how much it was killing me.

After I could make it about 30 minutes and actually got to the point that I could get a training effect, I got a better fitness watch to track my heart rate and distance. I kept pushing it longer and harder. In the first year I lost 57 lbs., and worked my walks up to power walking up to 10 miles at about a 4.5 mph pace. my resting heart rate went from the high 80's to the low 60's, and all my blood work comes back normal now (it used to be a mess). My doctor is in AWE of me and uses me as an example to his other patients.

About 8 months ago I started having trouble keeping my heart in the cardio zone just from power walking, so I decided to try adding run intervals into my power walks. At first I could only run for about 30 seconds at a time. I tried the C25K but something about a timer counting down till I could walk again really bugged me, so I made my own version (Bob25K). I just started adding a little more distance to the run intervals instead of time (something I could see in front of me to make it to). Within 6 months or so I could run 5 miles non stop. I also spent 6 months using an electronic cigarette and weaning myself off of cigarettes. I have not smoked a cigarette in about 8 or 9 months now.

Anyway, enough background. Let me get to the point.

I wanted to see if I could replace my blood thinners with low dose aspirin, so I asked my doctor about it. He told me to see that cardiologist to see what he said. I went to him and pitched my case. He told me he wanted to do an echocardiogram and another stress test, and if they came back good he would consider recommending it. I had the echo done and it came back fine. I had the stress test done and figured it would come back better than the last one but still not 100% due to the fact that they told me I may have had a mini heart attack back when I had the first stress test done.

I just got the results from the stress test today and they told me it was 100% fine.

I guess 2 years of cardio paid off for me...

Sorry for the long drawn out story, but I just wanted to convey how determination and hard work pays off, and it's never too late. I'm 59 years old.

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Congrats, wonderful news!

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

Thats awesome! WTG!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing that inspirational story.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

That's a wonderful news! if there is a will, there is a way! Keep it! Congrats!

Best Answer

That's fantastic! Great job! 

Best Answer

Great job!!!  Keep up the good steps!  

Best Answer

@bcalvanese That's amazingly inspirational. You've literally given ur self back ur life. An awesome accomplishment 

Best Answer