Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I aggrevated my left Achilles Tendon and my Walking has come to near stop..

ANSWERED

Anyone ever deal with Achilles Tendonitus?  I was out in the extreme cold last weekend and exerted myself too fast / hard and now I have a moderate amount of pain in left achilles.  I can get about 2 miles in now per day but very slow and no heartrate to speak of.   I saw my GP and he suggested to keep walking as much as pain allows but to stretch / warmup prior to walk.

Anyone else deal with this and how long did it take for inflammation to subside.  I am on 6 and I think it may be recovering...... just can't be sure.  I was walking 8 miles per day before last Sunday when I did this......

Jeff W WaldropWestlake, LA
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I recommend wearing a new pair of running shoes around the house, and extra gel arch support inserts at all times. Ice after exercise or standing for long periods. Stay off walking. I had an achilles overuse injury. It took over 6 months to heal. I biked and swam a lot, swimming seemed to help alleviate the pain as well as giving me great firness results.. Also lots of calf stretches and ankle stretches, working ankle through its range of motion. I recommend drastically  lowering your step goal and stay away from challenges that may tempt you to push yourself. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Yes I have and it took months to finally recover from. Your DR could better answer that for you though.

But I do remember mine telling me the same to walk as long as I could stand to.

I do hope yours recovers quickly. I know its no fun Smiley Sad

Also Stretching was key.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Found this for stretches

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/stretches-for-achilles-tendon-problem

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks, Wendy. I guess I was expecting such an explanation.

We will just have to ride it out.

Jeff W Waldrop

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 6+
Best Answer
0 Votes

I pulled my Achilles tendon this summer while jumping rope. It took two months for it to heal.

Pain is a warning from the body to stop doing something. In my opinion, walking "as far as pain allows" is a recipe to do more damage. The next step would be cortisone shots to relieve the pain so you could do more damage.

Inflammation is also contributing to the pain. You don't want to take medicine to stop the inflammation as inflammation immobilizes the muscles, brings more blood, and aids healing. It's supposed to hurt to discourage more use.

I walked with slowly with a cane when I had to. I did enough short walking, like across the house, to keep the muscles from stiffening.

I focused on weight lifting for those two months.

After a couple months, I was able to run again without pain. 

If you want to be proactive in your healing, switch to a whole food plant based diet with no animal products, no added oils like olive oil, and high in starches. Keep the fats below 10% and proteins around 10-13%.  Fat causes the red blood cells to stick together and prevents circulation in the tiny capillaries. The effect lasts about six hours - until or past the next meal.

Achilles tendon problems are something you absolutely, positively, without a doubt don't want try to work through. The tendon is either stretched or torn a bit. If it's torn, even light running or walking can tear it more. Eventually, it can tear completely through or separate from the attachment point, and you'll need an expensive operation.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Gershon,  Allow me to restate in simple terms what My Doctor said on Wednesday.  He said not to stop walking, but to walk up until the pain is evident.  I can do that but it is not a 20:00 mile like I was previously walking.  It is more like 35:00.

I am definitely not going to furthur tear or aggrevate matters.

Jeff W Waldrop

Best Answer
0 Votes

I recommend wearing a new pair of running shoes around the house, and extra gel arch support inserts at all times. Ice after exercise or standing for long periods. Stay off walking. I had an achilles overuse injury. It took over 6 months to heal. I biked and swam a lot, swimming seemed to help alleviate the pain as well as giving me great firness results.. Also lots of calf stretches and ankle stretches, working ankle through its range of motion. I recommend drastically  lowering your step goal and stay away from challenges that may tempt you to push yourself. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @Salmonberry.  Good info.  Apparently my issue was very minor because the discomfort is barily noticable now.  I walked 1.5 miles this morn at 2.5 MPH and felt ok.  Prior to the injury I was up to 8-9 miles per day.  The morning I did this, it was 28° F outside and I didn't no warmup prior to taking off.  I know now that was stupid and won't make that mistake again.

The GP Doc said  what you did, plenty of stretching before hitting the pavement or the belt.

Thanks again for the input.

Best Answer

I've ever had, but they are qualitatively the most comfortable walking shoe I've ever put my feet into. The shoes were true to size, and were "out of the box" comfortable the first time I put them on. I've experienced such intense foot pain that in the past I had to curtail my gardening activities. orthofeet shoes have given me back my gardening life. I can now stand again for hours without discomfort. I would definitely buy these shoes again.

Best Answer
0 Votes