Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to track Dance Dance Revolution exercise on Charge 2?

Hi everyone!

One of my main modes of exercise is playing Dance Dance Revolution (gotta love all those steps). I have my own arcade machine, so the workout mode is not available as it is on console versions for me to compare calories burned.

On my Charge 2, I typically choose the plain ol workout setting. I was wondering what other DDR (or ITG,PIU, or Stepmania) players choose and if you feel it is accurate? Is there any point in me manually specifying the exercise session as dancing after the workout?

I occasionally consider going back to my Charge HR so I can see the steps racking up while I'm playing since workout mode on the Charge 2 does not display steps during the session.
Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

I have a Fitbit Surge and a Fitbit Zip attached to different accounts. Mostly, I pay attention to the Surge.

My main exercises are walking and jogging slowly. My secondary exercise is housework and other similar activities. I call them Miyagi's, which is a reference to the movie Karate Kid. Regardless of what function I choose, Fitbit seems to magically calculate the calories burned in the background. Even the simple Zip does an excellent job. Overall, the Zip undercounts calories by about 10-15%, and the Surge overcounts them. The error is pretty consistent. 

The bottom line is choose the function that gives you the most motivation while exercising. For my Miyagi's, I alternate between the workout function and the treadmill function. I watch the time while doing them. The treadmill function gives the most data.

Throughout the day, I monitor calories burned vs. calories consumed on my dashboard. I use the fuel gauge to assess my progress during the day. Since I'm in weight maintenance, I adjust my plan based on whether I'm above or below my target weight. When I was losing weight, I didn't start eating until I'd burned about 1,500 calories with my morning run or jog plus other stuff. Then I maintained at least a 1,000 calorie deficit during the day with a burn before you eat philosophy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the game before during those years.  I think the most accurate 'workout' based on steps counted would be playing the game on Standard/Trick mode.  I think that's what it was initially set on.  To this day I do recommend this game to play as an exercise as it keeps you moving, jumping, turning from side to side, and while not really dancing it gives you a sense of rhythm.  While Heavy/Maniac mode is more intense, steps won't read on your tracker for reasons like holding the bar, using your arms to stablize your lower half, and stepping too fast because of the song.  But if you aren't worried about those steps being counted then go for it.

I consider it more of a cardio step workout.  Nice on owning a cabinet though.

Best Answer

After a three year hiatus from DDR (life things), I introduced the girlfriend to it last night (can't believe I can still keep up on heavy o.O ).

So I figured that I would track it on my Versa on the Interval training timer, not realizing that the default was set for like 10 minutes or something, and each of the breaks track things differently. So it totally underscored me lol.

So I'll have to track it as something like running I'm thinking.

Best Answer
0 Votes