Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am 50 Y/O and have now been walking 10,000 to 14,000 steps a day but my legs burn...

...at the end of the day. What is the best thing I can do to help this? I don't want to slow down or stop but I also need to get past this pain.

Thanks

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

@BNS1968 Do you have access to a pool?  Swimming is really easy on the joints, but is also a great cardio exercise.  Also, elliptical machines are easier on the knees and joints instead of running.  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

I walk, just started picking up the pace. Unfortunately I do not have access to a pool. I don't go to a gym because I won't go to a gym if I did belong to one. I should and I KNOW I should but I'm sure I won't. 😞🙄

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm 59, and just started up again.  For about a month, the outside of my left leg (between my knee and my ankle) REALLY stiffened up, and was quite painful.  I found that lying down and elevating it relaxed it after about 30 minutes.  I kept walking everyday, but slowed down my pace when the pain started getting bad enough.

As I'd been thru this before, I kept on walking, and now, am pain free, but again, I had to put up with it for about a month.  My advice would be to keep on for awhile, but not overdo it.  If it keeps on hurting, you might want to ask your doctor about it.

Best Answer

wow.., i'm inspired.

Best Answer

I would talk to your Dr about it

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Resting it up helped.

Best Answer

This may or may not help, but could be worth a try.

Walking on hard surfaces like roads or floors can be tough on the joints as we get older. Find some area parks or trails that are crushed gravel or smooth dirt. It might make a difference.

Best Answer

Soreness is a normal part of using muscle after disuse for a long time.    Warm or cold applied to the area in question.    I've used a TENS unit at times.   All of them are good.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BNS1968 

Take care... There is a subtle difference between pain, soreness and burning.  As @WendyB  mentioned your Dr, and from your profile you would be seeing him regularly now. He would also be interested in your improved health.

If you haven't been on this journey for some years it's always best to get a baseline with your health. Many of us have been through the challenge of the 10,000 steps with Fitbit, but too much, too soon may put you back in your improved lifestyle quest..

This may not apply to you, and we can't give advice, but examples can help.... I'm classified as pre-hypertensive ( and on an Ace Inhibitor) with no issues, and no other health concerns other than ageing bones..... My Dr was on leave and I had to get my next 6 months script, the other Dr in the clinic didn't like what she saw in the records and immediately changed my medicine to a Calcium Blocker..  Wow... That crippled me for 2 weeks, I couldn't brisk walk without pain, it was immediate, just the legs...... My returning Dr took me off it immediately.  It took another few weeks to get my system back to normal.  The Dr's reaction," it doesn't affect others", but Dr Google has research papers that it can occur in some people on the named tablet I was given........I was the odd one out....  My BP is 125/75

@BNS1968 wrote:

...at the end of the day. What is the best thing I can do to help this? I don't want to slow down or stop but I also need to get past this pain.

Thanks

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

I agree - check with your doctor to be safe. 

I find that wearing Skins compression tights really helps my muscle recovery following exercise. Any compression tights, stockings or similar could help your muscle recovery, BUT they MUST fit correctly and be very firm on your legs. Cheap imitations just dont cut it.

I wear mine for dance practice (which is a pretty intense couple of hours) and leave them on for 3 or 4 hours afterwards, and also put them on immediately following a bike ride for a few hours and they help my recovery enormously.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer