Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate moving

Hello there,

This is the first time ever I leave a message in a support group.

I am a 46 years old, 1,64 cm and overweight at least 10kg (80kg), which I can´t seem to take off.

I have been dieting for almost 3 years and already lost 10kg, but it seems I have got into a plateau in the last 8 months.

I hate any type of exercise, even walking, and not seeing any results it only makes things worse, which means I don´t diet as I should and I don´t exercise at all. I also stoped inserting my intake calories on MFP, which I think was helpeful,

I know what I must do with my food and exercise, I just don´t seem to get it going. Any advice please?

PS: sorry for my english, it is not my native language.

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

Hi @MR1972 ,

Focus on diet for you. That will give you the best results for weight loss. You'll really need to start the food logging again--it's a very helpful tool to eliminate guessing. Best of luck.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Thank you, I really feel logging my food is very important, but I know I have at least to walk 5 to 10 k steps on a daily basis. And I feel stucked, my brain knows what I should do, my body won´t move and I know there are no miracles. I guess keeping focused on this matter is very hard for me.

You suggest I start logging again and try to walk afterwards, right?

Thank you for your support! 

Best Answer

Sadly there really isn't any advice that we can offer other than you have to make up your mind to do the things that work for improved health. If logging food worked, then go back to doing it. If you hate walking, find something that you sort of like. They key to overall fitness is to keep your body active and to give it good nutrition. If it becomes important enough for you, I think you will do it. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Maybe you can make moving fun?  Start playing Pokemon Go so you are focused on enjoying catching pokemon and spinning pokestops and not on "having to move"  or go out dancing, etc?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Food is really the key here.  Weightloss is heavily affected by what and how much we put in our bodies.

However, exercise also has many benefits, like lowering stress, releasing endorphins, increased strength and endurance, etc.  If you don't like walking, I would suggest listening to an audio book or a podcast while you walk.  Listening to audio books has been a game changer for a lot of my walks, the time just flies by!

Other than that, there's not much else we can tell you.  You know what you have to do, you just have to find the discipline to do it.  Best of luck!

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Hey. I am just getting moving as well. It’s hard to do laundry because it’s 3 flights of stairs and I get out of breath. But I have to. Here is what I did :  I joined the ymca. I asked for financial aid and got a subsidized membership. I have to go 8x a month or they inactivate the membership. 

I go to the pool, do 4-6 laps, and aqua jog. I don’t feel as fat in the water. It’s easier to move. I got waterproof headphones this week and went from 20 minutes of aqua jogging to 45 min. 7 minutes of swimming. 

‘My first day: 4 laps 15 min aqua jogging

Day off (Good Friday)

day 2: 7 laps 20 min aqua jogging 

day off (Easter)

dat 3 7 laps 45 min aqua jogging. 

‘Yesterday I attempted 20 minutes of Pilates. I felt like a fat cockroach and I was NOT fun. I think I will use Pilates as a threat...if I don’t go to the gym...cockroach time. 

The difference is that I noticed immediately that I had an easier time falling asleep at night. 

‘’Anyway-hope this helped?

Best Answer

Great post @misskrumms.  I think finding something physical that you actually like to do is much more important than just logging the minutes at whatever is the latest greatest most efficient way to burn calories.  My wife is also a fan of pool exercise like water aerobics classes.  It is also good to try new forms of exercise (pilates) before you decide you can't/won't don't like doing them.  Now you know. 🙂

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Hi,

I was stuck with the last 5lbs and started to hula hoop, which the Fitbit counts as steps.  I bought a weighted hula hoop and after a couple of weeks of getting the "steps" in, I lost 6lbs.

Good luck and I hope you find an activity that helps you get your steps in.

Cat

Best Answer

Hi @MR1972 

Focusing on what you eat (calories consumed) is the main key to losing weight. Sometimes it can seem overwhelming, so focusing on making one small change at a time can help 🙂

Best Answer

Hello! I understand your problem, I hate going to the gym and running. But maybe you will like my method if you like listening to music. I just turn on my music and... dance. No special movements or repetition from YouTube lessons of something, I just try to actively move while doing something like cleaning or just dancing sometimes.

Best Answer

Mr 1972,  Do you like to read?  You can read on a treadmill or bike.  You might not mind walking while reading. ??

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dadarius,  Good idea; dancing and cleaning, but even better......LOL   Shopping.  At least you are on your feet and moving around a bit.  I like to look at the books in the resale shops like Salvation Army, Goodwill or here it is Forgotten Angel with best book selection and only a dollar.  (They just doubled the price)    So funny.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As you get older, you often need to keep track of your activity during the day. I would advise you to buy a special watch, it will not let you sit too long at the workplace, it will remind you in time of excessive exercise and the need to take a walk with a certain number of steps. Such monitoring of your own health is also useful for young people. I bought myself a special watch Casio G-Shock GBD-200 https://best24watch.com/g-shock-gbd-200/ . Now I can see all workout data - time, distance, speed, calories burned and other parameters calculated from pedometer data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Topaazy,  You must live in a pleasant climate.  South of Houston Texas, we don't do much outdoors except just at daylight.  I've been doing "prescribed" exercises for hip joints, in bed when I wake and at night before going to sleep, & tried one I had been forgetting today.  Funny experience.  I absolutely couldn't do it.  It looked so easy in the little picture.  Try it.   Just lay on your bed face down and taking hold of a leg, at the ankle,  pull your foot up to your hip.  LOL  Google has  exercises  for any painful body part caused by arthritis.  Half of the people over 65 have arthritis & some younger people too.  I do 6 exercises laying down and 5 standing, 10 times each twice a day.  It is amazingly effective in eliminating pain and making me more mobile.  My daughter only in her 50s has arthritis in her hands starting & google has exercises that will help prevent progression, they say.  Maybe I could do it if I was younger.  I'm 80.  I'm going to try that again.  Surely I can do that......maybe

Best Answer
0 Votes

In fact, I think you should see a psychologist. If you don't like to move, that's a problem that sits in your head, because people are evolutionarily supposed to like walking/running.

Best Answer

@Cybergreen quite contrary, evolution always wanted us to conserve energy and not use it for doing pointless things (unless you moving to hunt your food better stay and keep energy for a time when it's really needed). Times changed but evolution is very slow. The fact people don't like to move is quite natural. 

Best Answer
0 Votes