Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I really need HELP & Support

ANSWERED

I am 73, female, and desperate for some encouragement, 'cos I feel really alone in my attempt to make my life healthierMan Sad.  On a good day I can manage about 5000 -10000 steps, but soon find a reason to do the littlest of this Smiley Frustrated  I am unable to do lots of exercise, but certainly enjoy walking, but lack the motivation.  Can anyone please give me some support me?  Man Frustrated

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi!

First, I would like to tell you that 5000 to 10 000 is amazing! I really think that if you are doing a little everyday, it's already improvement, in my eyes. Do you have someone that you could walk with? When I started exercising, I thought I couldn't keep it everyday so my husband did it with me and now, I can do it alone. I'm sorry I'm not a very good "motivator" but I just wanted to say: don't give up!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Hi!

First, I would like to tell you that 5000 to 10 000 is amazing! I really think that if you are doing a little everyday, it's already improvement, in my eyes. Do you have someone that you could walk with? When I started exercising, I thought I couldn't keep it everyday so my husband did it with me and now, I can do it alone. I'm sorry I'm not a very good "motivator" but I just wanted to say: don't give up!

Best Answer

@BrenxCongratulations on your commitment to walk and having the wisdom to ask for help. The Fitbit Community is a great place to find tips, tricks, motivation and like minded people to share stories. Try to find someone to walk with or a place to walk to. I personally find picking a destination (goal oriented person) works well. For example, if I need only 1 or 2 things from the grocery store, I'll walk there. Doesn't matter how long it takes me, it's about achieving the goal and getting a task done at the same time. Perhaps pick a destination that get's to a place you really enjoy or offers you a special treat. Make the destination have meaning for you.

Having a dog to walk can also be a great motivator. If you don't want the commitment of living with a pet, then considering volunteering at a shelter to walk dogs awaiting their forever home. You get motivation to walk thru the volunteer commitment, have set days/times for your walks, and you help safe a lives.  

I hope this helps. Keep up the stepping!

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

thanx so much for your support, and I do have a dog, but hubby walks her, but the last two days I went along however today has poured and poured so I stayed at home and polished right through the house until I broke into a sweat, so I hope that helped a little 😓 

Best Answer

It is so nice when folk like you take the time to be supporting, and this really helps me.  It gives me a good belong, and although today I didn't go walking I did clean right through the house so hope that this has helped a little xx

Best Answer

Sometimes, you just have to talk to yourself and get yourself started. Once started, your goal of five minutes, ten minutes or even those 250 steps an hour become easier. I know I am not you but I am alone so I have to motivate myself and do it myself if it is to be done. This morning, I  had no desire to walk (I do it inside my home) but I gritted my teeth and started. One minute completed is a success and one minute leads to another minute....and then another minute. Set reasonable goals for yourself and don't compete with others. Set a baseline of number of steps today and then increase it each day.

Best Answer

Hi! Sometimes I need motivation too! Check out my post in Be Inspired. Went thru lots of mental turmoil, then got very sick. I too needed little motivators and I found them inside of me! I was so sick that I couldnt move 25 steps without collapsing. It was so hard in the beginning but I just did it and it was miserable until I just kept trying everyday and noticed after a week or so I could make it a few steps farther and it was getting fun, believe it or not. My neighbors would stop while I was out in my field walking and shout "you ok, did you lose something?" Or I would see someone at the store and they would say "I saw you you running the other day, was something after you?"  Hahaha!  Crazy neighbors. After months of this and getting a bluetooth ear speaker connected to my Madonna Rebel Heart Album (<---the Queen) I can walk, run 7 miles a day, split into 3 different sessions. That woman (madonna) if she cant get you feeling good about yourself nobody can. Try that album, maybe the clean version if you are sensitive to her foul mouth, lol! I like the filthy version. 😳 I feel like a new person. Don't do it for anybody else but you and it does something to your moral and does your heart good. And you can do 5000-10000 steps? Wow! That is amazing! I am 55 and it took me a couple of months to get up to that a day. I have friended you, lets keep up with each other and I will do my best to motivate you if you will do the same for me 👍🏻 Keep up the good work, my friend!

Best Answer
Hello Texas

What a lovely surprise to get your post and I so look forward to your friendship😊 it was so good to read your inspirational story and I can certainly relate to parts of it! I am 73 with a brain of a 50+ year old and l HATE growing old 👵 I so agree with you about it being down to me, but it's so good to know that someone is listening and and being there with friendship and support😊
I am off for my morning walk now, but look forward to talking again and hope that your day goes well and your steps are good.

Best wishes and many thanks from Brenx

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hey @Brenx! Just as everybody else in this thread has mentioned. You're doing good and the best of this is that you're recognizing you need some support from others. Little steps always are count as bigger, you're trying to improve your health by walking more, don't drop the ball, keep it  up! 

You can add as a friend and I'll be supporting you everyday! 🙂 Have a great weekend. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I was going through the same thing.  I don't really listen to music, but I put on YouTube videos of preachers that I like when I use the gym.  When I'm home and get a phone call, I immediately grab my headphones and go for a walk.  I don't worry about working up my heart rate, I just start walking without getting too winded to have a conversation.  THAT has been great because my friends and family usually call in the evening and it keeps me from getting sedentary after dinner.  Take care! 

Best Answer

yeah maybe you can continue to take the dog for extended walks, they'll love it and so will your health.  Also maybe walking after every meal set your stop watch for five minutes then when the alarm goes off turn around and head home which will give you an extra ten minute walk per meal!   My mom is 77 and I wish I could get her to walk.  I told her just start at walking from couch to couch (because walking is hard for her) then sit down, get up and walk again.  It's breaking my heart watching her age and not taking charge of her health which has motivated me to make sure I take care of mine.  I tell her ma, if you don't use it you will lose it.  But you cant help anyone who doesnt want help, so kudos to you for trying and reaching out for help.  You're amazing!  Keep up the great work!

Best Answer