Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to start some sort of strength training but have no experience.

ANSWERED

I'd love suggestions for a beginner's workout.  What machines to use in a gym setting?  Videos? Exercises?  Free Weights?  I'm a walker and I do a step class at my local gym and I'm in good health, but I don't know anything about strength training.  I don't want to injure myself and wind up side-lined for weeks on end, but I would like to advance my workout and see more results.

On the move but going nowhere.
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

A trainer is great but if you can't afford one or don't want to utilize that option for any other reason, I recommend Jorge Cruise's 8 Minutes in the Morning System. It's a packet of cards that has you doing two different strength training exercises for about 8 minutes at a time. The program includes several weeks worth of cards.

That system costs about $12. Free weights will cost you $30 and a good bench another $70. So for about $100, you can get started on a very simple weight training program.

And if you'd rather do the DVD thing, just buy one and get a bench and free weights. That's my two cents. Smiley Happy

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
24 REPLIES 24

The best way to begin strength training is to get help from a personal trainer -- most gyms do a starter package of something like 4 x 30 min sessions for half the normal price.  I workout with a trainer regularly and found it to be way more helpful than I imagined (initially I got a started package of sessions when I first joined the gym as a way of getting back into the swing of things).  Even though I've now been working with him for years he still gives me a bunch of little 'corrections' during a workout -- just moving the position of my feet, butt or shoulders a little can change the effort required more than you can imagine, it also ensures I'm not using bad form and risking injury.

Some gyms also have group training classes -- perhaps 4 people working with a trainer.  That cuts the cost down.  I wouldn't recommend larger classes than that.  The gym I go to have a number of large group strength classes.  There are just too many people for the instructor to go around correcting form, plus I constrantly see people resorting to really bad form because they are tired and the instructor is pushing for '5 more reps'.  Classes like that are a recipie for injury.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ditto to the trainer thing. Even just a few sessions will really help you. The worst thing you can do is pick up a set of weights and do something inappropriately. That includes machines.

I scoped trainers in my gym for a few weeks before I picked one that I thought I would work well with because that was important to me. Now that I have been working with one for a while, I am perfectly comfortable on the weight side of the gym opposed to just the cardio. I no longer need my trainer to work weights but I keep him around because he is very "core" oriented and this continues to push me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A trainer is great but if you can't afford one or don't want to utilize that option for any other reason, I recommend Jorge Cruise's 8 Minutes in the Morning System. It's a packet of cards that has you doing two different strength training exercises for about 8 minutes at a time. The program includes several weeks worth of cards.

That system costs about $12. Free weights will cost you $30 and a good bench another $70. So for about $100, you can get started on a very simple weight training program.

And if you'd rather do the DVD thing, just buy one and get a bench and free weights. That's my two cents. Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Those packages sound good but I worked at a gym and the downside to the starter packages is that you're often getting a newbie trainer who's being paid almost nothing.

That can do more harm than good.

I have had good experiences with trainers yet recommend going with experienced ones, who have solid credentials, over whomever is assigned to you as part of your starter package.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, the area in which I live is very small and our gym is staffed by well-meaning folks who are not really qualified to give instruction of that sort.  We have things like Step Classes and Spinning but mostly the owner or a staff member will direct you to the weights or the machines and just say, "If you need any help, someone here will answer your questions."  I'd love the option of a personal trainer but around here, the most I can hope for is possibly another gym member who has used the machines or weights a great deal and knows a thing or two, which, as you said, can be an accident waiting to happen.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sadly, there are no qualified personal trainers at my gym.  This is a very small area and until about five years ago, we didn't even have a gym!  I'm afraid any weight instruction I get will likely come from a video or another gym patron.  I appreciate the advice though and if I were living in civilization, I'd go with the personal trainer option.  :  )

Best Answer
0 Votes

This just might be do-able!  There are no personal trainers at our gym.  It's a small town and the gym, the only gym, has been open about five years max.  I can get tennis lessons or take a step class but no personal trainer.

I will check the '8 minutes in the morning' deal out and look into the video options.  I have the weights but I will need a bench.  Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are no trainers at our little one horse town gym, not even beginer ones.  I really wish I had the option of a trainer because I'd love that but there just isn't one around here.  Thank you though.  Most everyone is in agreement that experienced trainers are the way to go though.  Unfortunately, if you live in a small place with one small gym, there just isn't anyone.  *sigh*

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, I'm so new to this board that I thought I had replied but perhaps I didn't?  Anyway, there aren't any experienced trainers in my area.  The gym is small and the staff are helpful but none of them are trainers.  I love the idea of a personal trainer but for now, there aren't any available to me.  That's the trouble with living in the middle of nowhere.  Thank you though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will be the dissenter.  You don't need a personal trainer.  Rent or buy a video, read New Rules of Lifting, or just google up 'beginner strength training routines'.  You don't need a bench, either.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer

I appreciate the dissent respecting needing a bench. I just used a table or chair to balance myself out initially.I finally got a good quality bench using my frequent flyer points, and was amazed by the difference.

The bench kept me from wobbling around and enabled me to do exercises that required lying down much better.

The downside to using free weights, versus machines, is that the weights aren't perfectly balanced between your arms. If you add a shaky surface to the equation, that makes the problem worse.

So I'm an advocate of the bench yet respect the idea that it's not 100% necessary. 

Best Answer

I agree you don't need a personal trainer....... but, a good one can make the difference between a safe, effective workout and a bunch of niggling injuries.  Yes, I could (and do) workout on my own, but even after 5 years of working out with a trainer I still find his presence enormously helpful.  Its the little modifications that make a difference.....moving feet a few inches further apart, arms a bit lower down, etc. 

Its also invaluable -- as I'm getting older-- having someone watch me and say 'you are favoring your left side, lets work on that'.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good, I hope you like the Jorge Cruise system. I think the 8-minutes-a-day system is brilliant. 

Also, I wasn't suggesting that you get an elaborate bench that takes up all the space in your basement and has a gazillion parts.

If I wanted to go down that path I'd get a high-end Bowflex or something of that nature.

I recommend a flat bench, that doesn't even recline, made by a good manufactuer, for less than $100. Amazon has a few of them that come with free shipping. Good luck!

Best Answer

I often workout with light weights while sitting or lying on an exercise ball.  I find that works more muscles than a bench and never had a problem with injuries, even minor ones.  But, the caveat -- light weights with high reps.  For heavier weights a solid bench is required. 

Best Answer

For some doing heavy barbell chest presses, a bench is great.  For what most of us in or past 'soccer mom' age do, that old aerobic step or even a firm ottoman works fine.  This is assuming you even are doing moves that require a bench.  You can cover it all with body weight or a big kettlebell or resistance bands or power yoga or a lot of other things, without missing a bench.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer

Thank you.  Since trainers aren' available in my area, this sounds like a plan.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm going to price some benches and just have a look at what's out there.  I don't want to buy one that won't work for me and also, being a beginner, I don't want to go high end.  I need to see if I can do this, will do this, etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Personal trainers sound like the best way to go but sadly, they're aren't any here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hope so too.  I will let you know.  :  )

As to the bench, I'm in the process of shopping around.  Thought I might find a used one or possible start with a cheaper one.  (cheaper in cost not in design)

Best Answer