Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are the best shoes for beginner runners?

Hi everyone!  I'm wanting to get started running a bit but I have no idea what the latest news in footwear is.  Any recommendations for a person with very tricky feet to fit?  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

You need to go to a running store and have them watch you run - they will tell you if you pronate or whatever the opposite of that is, and recommend the right shoes - they need to be the right shoes for you. Although, there are people who swear by the barefoot approach, wearing those weird slipper shoes with toes, I've always wanted to try those, but I don't know if they would good for my knees, which have a tendency to hurt if I run more than 10k. Congrats on starting to run. I also recommend signing up for races (or fun runs), they are an excellent source of motivation and you get cool t-shirts!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thankyou for your advice! I will go to The Running Room when I'm back at home again.

Best Answer

Rather than 'latest' you should think 'best for me'.  

Naturally, I say this from bitter experience.  A couple of years ago I bought some lightweight Nike 'Free' shoes.  I loved them -- they felt like I was wearing slippers compared to my usual thick-soled, highly cushioned shoes.  

I wore the 'Free' for a few months for running on the treadmill and walking with the dog - I swore by them and recommended them to everyone.  Until I got out of bed one morning and winced with pain.  I had Plantar Fasciitis, probably from wearing shoes with too little arch support/padding on the sole.  Its a particularly painful condition and requires months of recupperation before you can walk easily, let alone run. 

Now I have to be really careful about shoes, and constantly swap between brands, which is annoying. I used to find a model of shoe I liked and buy a few pairs. Now I have to find not one but three models of shoes that work for me (I alternate between them).  

I'm now very wary of shoes that are trending.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have always gone to a professional running shop to be fitted~ the employees there are trained to look at how your walk, and how you run for the best shoe for you.  Spend a little extra and do this- it's worth the money.  My husband and I were on vacation and bought a pair that I thought would be OK~ and they are almost like new sitting in the closet~ good luck on your shopping quest 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Definitely go to a running specialty store to get fitted for shoes.  If you have a pair of shoes you have been wearing, take them with you. They can look at the wear pattern as well as watch you walk/run in the store to determine your gait.  Many of the stores now are equipped with a video camera and will record you walking/running for a little bit to show you what they are talking about.  They will then recommend a few options for you to try on.  Also, ask them what their return policy is.  I always try new shoes out on the treadmill or indoors at the gym first.  This gives me a good idea if the shoe is going to be a good fit for me.  If not, don't be shy about returning them. 

Good luck!

My blog

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would also recommend getting a few pair of decent running socks. I made the mistake of going for a longer run with my "regular" socks on and had some really nice blisters to deal with. I use Experia socks (expensive, but work for me - no more blisters or arch pain), but there are boatloads of other socks out there that don't cost as much that work just as well. Ask when you get your shoes to see what the recommend.
Best Answer
0 Votes