Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you have AFIB, consider the following

I have been a fitbit user for over 2 years . I am a very active 66 year old man who goes to the gym everyday . Before I had a fitbit I would check on my health through a BP monitor and at the gym on top of any tests done by my GP or health advisor. I always had a low resting heart rate between 45 and 50 and good BP 125 over 70. Once I had my fitbit I thought I could rely on it and lost count of the people I have recommended it to. About 3 months ago I started to feel more tired working out but as I do a lot of long haul travel I would check my HR on fit bit and put it down to jet lag etc . Even when the equipment at the gym was telling me my HR was 160 as my fitbit HR was showing 120 I preferred to believe it. To cut a long story short I was admitted to hospital because my heart rate was 150 and was diagnosed as having AFIB. At the time the hospital were panicking that someone had a resting heart rate of 150 my good old fit bit was telling me 65 ....a little bit high for me but ok. I got a friend to wear my fit bit to check it was not faulty and it had the same reading as their own fitbit they were wearing. The consultant said that fitbit and other devices cannot pick up the variations when the heart is jumping around in AFIB so having read so many conflicting reports on this it is very scary because I can prove it is useless. Last week I purchased a chest monitor which almost mirrored the readings of the gym equipment and to my phone but the readings on the fitbit are always totally different. over a 4 day comparison resting the fitbit is reading between 15 to 20 beats lower than the chest monitor and when exercising reading 40-50 beats lower!!

For this reason I certainly now know it cannot be used if a person has AFIB and think that Fitbit need to come up with something better and some words of warning too. AFIB is a very annoying condition to arrive on someone who is a dedicated gym goer and mine has not been resolved as yet . After one cardioversion I am still on meds which themselves affect how good exercise makes you feel. My concern is that my problem could have been detected maybe 3 or 6 months ago before it got too bad and therefore noticeable. I believed unwisely the fitbit data was correct which continued showing how healthy my heart was even when I was in re suss at the hospital

Moderator edit: format/subject clarity

Best Answer
80 REPLIES 80

The question is not one of accuracy but of causation. What's the data on fitbit wearer's who develop afib due to proximity to blue tooth device? Doubt that data is available! Lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

Now I know how to spell cojones! Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have Atrial Fibrillation and had 3 ablations. 8 yrs no problem . Suddenly I got arrhythmia or sick sinus syndrome. I took my Blaze off for 3 months . I see no difference. We are all different individuals. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY !! I’m a bodybuilder and aged 77 coming bronze medal in the worlds last year against a 40 yr old and a 51 yr old . The year before I got silver against a 50 yr old , 60 and 76 yr old . . Try checking what goes in your mouth also 

Best Answer
0 Votes
This would seem to be a perfect example of correlation and causation not
being the same. I know when I have had AFIB if I didn't see how high my
pulse was I might not have known,that may be this guy's case
Best Answer
0 Votes
  • Thanks for the info. My dad has AF and is being seen to by doctors / cardiologists, being monitored, having numerous tests. We got him a fitbit charg 3 as an additional level of monitoring and to see if there was any correlation between daily activities and eating habits, and his heart rate. The results produced by the fitbit have been worryingly high and varied. I kind of assumed it was in no way precise enough to be used as medical equipment but hoped it might offer some useful in insite. I will take the FB results with more of a  pinch of salt going forward. Thanks
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same problem. It reads what call my normal beat (the rate minus the a fib beats).. I just tested using an arm cuff monitor.That reading was a heart rate of 105. The fitbit says 81.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As a fit runner (jogger), 61 year old, with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter, 3 ablations, 2 minor strokes, a few cardioversions, I can't fault fitbit.  I use an Kardia 6L (did have previous version too) which is first class for detecting arrhythmia.  The fitbit is only a general guide as to resting heart rate and hr during exercise.  It did however save me when I noticed my resting hr going from 52 up to 75 in a matter of weeks - hyperthyroid diagnosis as a result of heart meds at one stage, easily fixed but took about 6 months. I think fitbit sell a good product which works with regard to heart rate and fitness but not in any way should it be relied on for rhythm detection.  Hope the afib is ok and you continue to be well - get yourself a Kardia 6L if it continues to be worrisome?  At least then you can keep an eye on things.

Best Answer
The Kardioa 6L looks like a fascinating device, thanks for the info.
I have AFIB but since I have been on beta blockers I haven't had an episode
in over two years.
Best Answer
0 Votes

You can set the watch to a maximum rate to notify you that your heart rate is very high. I set mine to 140bpm.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve also had issues with the heart rate accuracy of both my Charge 2 and now 4. I recently changed over to an iWatch 6. It’s heart rate is much more accurate plus it catches AFIB.  But I still use my Charge 4 to track my sleep. Apple’s sleep tracking is back in the dark ages compared to Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is really interesting to me, thank you for posting your experience. I am on here doing research into which product would be helpful my my situation. I'm a 53 year old male and have Atrial Fibrillation. My heart rate can be irregular in low 30's to 160 beats per minute. I just phoned a stockiest for Polar chest monitor, the chap said that it's a sporting device as opposed to being a medical type monitor and thought it wouldn't suit my need to monitor the AF. Can I ask how the chest monitor helped you? Did it let you know that you were in AF? I can feel when I'm in AF so I would just like to be able to record the episodes for the cardiologist.

Thanks in advance

Charlie

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry that the intent behind your original posting Charltojhn50 has not been understood by so many in this forum.

I am yet to purchase any product, I have started to research so I for one really appreciate you sharing your experience. I mention in a previous comment above about AFIB.

Thanks mate

Best Answer
I have had Afib for the past 3 years, I am in my 50’s and I have had 4 ablations and an left atrial clip put on my atrial appendage. I also have a small loop recorder that transmit data to my doctor every night so they can monitor my Afib. In January they asked if I wanted to help with a 2 month study comparing the accuracy of the new series 6 Apple watch to my loop recorder. So far they said the Apple watch has done well. The watch does not alert you if you go into afib but it allows you to record anytime you have an episode and you can send it to your doctor. The Apple watch has not yet been approved to be a medical device but they can be helpful to monitor and record your heart rate.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

It's important to pay attention to your body, when you have atrial fibrillation, you might notice a skipped heartbeat, and then feel a thud or thump, followed by your heart racing for an extended amount of time. Or you might feel heart palpitations or fluttering or jumping of your heart. Or you might experience sweating or chest pain, mimicking a heart attack. Fitbit provides a lot of help with HR monitor and Fitbit ECG app but in case that you feel this type of symptoms it's best to check with your doctor. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hah, sorry. Completely misunderstood! I saw the info from a misleading YT video. I have searched up the correct answer and have edited my reply. Sorry for all the confusion! I agree though, I could keep my cup o' Joe hot!

Best Answer

The light's similar to a pulse oximiter, which also shines a light through.. The pulse oximiters are the little clips with lasers on them. The most common ones look like this. (Link NOT affiliate) A physician or doctor might put one of these bad boys on at your yearly physical.

Best Answer

It's okay, thank you for the clarification @ILOVEFIT😉👍

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Thank you! Sorry for the confusion, and stay safe!

Best Answer

@ILOVEFIT Same thing here, keep sharing your comments around the Health & Wellness! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Absolutely nothin! I too have afib and it was because of my fit bit thst I noticed something wrong! It was low enough thst I was noticing it but thought it was just this heat wave. All I use it for is to confirm my feeling unwell with higher then normal numbers . It is a tool 😊I am grateful to have it thanks for your post!!

Best Answer