Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Heart Rate too high while running?

I’m currently back out running after a long lay off. 
Im 29 years old, 15st 1lb (so really out of shape at the moment), and started using a Fitbit for the first time this year. My resting heart rate is 63bpm

My heart rate goes up to 178-182bpm, especially when running up big hills or when I start going for it, it stays at that rate until the end of my run. 

is this something to be concerned about?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

It is hard to say whether that rate is too high, too low (probably not), or just about right; the fact is, everybody's heart is different.  If you're trying to compare it to the utterly bogus 220-Age formula, don't, that formula is completely worthless.  The question you should be asking yourself is, "How you feel?"  If you are not feeling well when your heart rate is that high and/or are still worried, you might consider scheduling an appointment with a cardiologist.

One other side note, I routinely see a heart rate literally off the "possibility" scale as I'm in my mid-60s and often see my heart rate chart rise up to 170+ range; as an experiment, I started running say, a mile, and then cinching my band down a notch or two and bingo, my heart rate for the rest of the run hovers around 130.  Said another way, keep the tracker from moving around on your arm if you want the best possible heart rate track.

Best Answer

If the heart rate is an indication of a very hard intense effort - my concern would be jumping back into running at that rate so soon.

That's a great way to get injuries to knock yourself out for 6-8 weeks.

Perhaps you were still in the aerobic zone for that effort, able to talk in short sentences.

So my concern isn't the HR level as Shipo explained and your cardiovascular system, but rather the concern of no base building and starting out too intense.

A long lay off can have your muscles still strong, but tendons/ligaments are usually another matter not ready for instant come-back from long lay off.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

To build off of what @Heybales wrote, I have long been an advocate for LSD (Long Slow Distance); especially when getting (back) into shape and/or recovering from injury.  The thing is, the human respiratory, circulation, and muscular system develop relatively fast compared to the skeletal, joint, and connective tissue systems; get back into running too rapidly and push the boundaries too fast, and an injury is not a matter of "if", but of "when".

To personalize this a bit, I am starting running again following a 4+ year layoff due to three separate accidents which resulted in two broken bones and a torn tendon in one of my arches, and then to top it all off, I had COVID-19 early last year.  Even with the HUGE base of mileage before I first got injured, upwards of 350 miles in a single month, I am practically starting over from scratch by limiting my training pace to no faster than 12-minute miles.  Once my level of conditioning improves a bit, I'll start dialing up the pace.  Will I ever get back to a 21-minute 5K?  No, probably not, but it sure might be fun to try.  🙂

Best Answer

hey there. I guess you also need to check in how you feel during that time. Are you dizzy, nauseas, light headed, so winded that you can't catch your breath? If you are OK during the elevated HR and it comes down relatively quickly when you are done, then I think you are doing OK. I too wonder if you are starting out too ambitious, but we all have different definitions of "going for it". Are you going longer distance and slower pace, or faster pace for shorter distance? Are you doing some kind of intermittent version of all of that?

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes