Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the fitbit durable when using in martial arts?

ANSWERED

Hey there,

I'm looking to buy a fitbit that would be keeping a good track on my heart rate as well as sleep and fitness overall, which I know the majority of them do. But my only concern is if they're able to with stand the practice of martial arts?

I practice Kempo Jiu-Jutsu and which incorperates, a lot of rolls (break falls), throws, sweeps and etc and I'm worried about spending a lot of money on one of the devices only for it to break if I'm smacking down hard on the mats or being thrown. Are these suitable? Should these be taken off before practice?

Thanks in advance. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I would probably advise against it. Back when I used to practice martial arts, my Sifu would forbid us to wear any wristwatches, bracelets and even rings because of the risk of injury. Not sure any Fitbit could take a strike if it got one by accident either. Maybe just take it off during practice and log the session manually?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

I would probably advise against it. Back when I used to practice martial arts, my Sifu would forbid us to wear any wristwatches, bracelets and even rings because of the risk of injury. Not sure any Fitbit could take a strike if it got one by accident either. Maybe just take it off during practice and log the session manually?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your response!

Makes sense what you've said, I guess it's also not wise to spend over £100 to then break it in training. But one would hope that it would be durable enough to take such impact given the amount you're spending for all those interesting features.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah very true!

Best Answer
0 Votes

No on second 1 now awful

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't buy this watch if any type of impact will break it

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Rosie1967  martial arts can get a bit rough and it's always best not to wear a watch or any unnecessary items when in the dojo. I've family in martial arts and they all remove their various devices and jewelry, including earrings, while in class. 

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes