Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knee Pain

I started walking more when I got my FitBit 2 months ago.  I don't even reach 10,000 steps in a day, because shortly after trying to increase my steps, I injured my right knee somehow.  It's been over a month and the pain is still very bad when I walk. It's as though the knee cap is 'slipping' so I assume a ligament issue? 

Two days ago, the pain began in my left knee as well.  I'm trying to walk through the pain because I realize losing weight will help the knees (I'm about 40 lbs overweight, female, 58 y.o).

Today I noticed that I sometimes can't lift myself off a chair with my legs alone any longer, and need to use my arms.

Rest?  Or see a doctor?  BTW, I only walk (my dogs twice a day, and treadmill for 20 mins at night at 2.9 mph). No running, jumping, etc.

Appreciate any advice. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

I would make an appointment, you might need physical therapy to make sure that your knee is evenly strong and working correctly.

Best Answer

Pain is a sign from your body that there is something wrong and seeing it is your knees which are very important and you describe a weird sensation, I can only repeat @MagsOnTheBeach's recommendation of seeing a doctor.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

Definitely make an appointment. It may be that it just needs rest, but I wouldn't want to take a gamble making things worse. Hopefully, it will be a quick and easy road to recovery from here on out. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was really hoping y'all would say rest and ice it, and maybe wrap it while walking.  The exercise I'm doing is so low-impact, low intensity, it shouldn't result in pain like this.   I've heard of 'working thru the pain' so I kept it up a few weeks, but when the second knee started up, I knew something wasn't right.

T

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TerriLR wrote:

I was really hoping y'all would say rest and ice it, and maybe wrap it while walking.  The exercise I'm doing is so low-impact, low intensity, it shouldn't result in pain like this.   I've heard of 'working thru the pain' so I kept it up a few weeks, but when the second knee started up, I knew something wasn't right.

Anytime a person exercises through pain, they risk long term problems. I'd suggest stopping all extra walking immediately. Only walk enough to keep the knee loose. I mean around the house for 20 or 30 steps at a time.

Using pain killers like Ibuprofen will delay recovery. I'd only use them if needed to sleep. If you use them, don't walk more if they kill the pain.

The problem with seeing a doctor is they will likely take all your money and not cure the problem. Alternatively, they may offer a solution you can't afford. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's exactly my hesitation with going to a doctor.  Not that I'm against them, but this pain came on because I started extra walking.  So I don't want pain pills, and common sense says to rest for a few weeks. It's just discouraging, and I *will* go see a doc if it doesn't get better.

This isn't helping me get my 'steps' in on the Fit Bit, unfortunately!

Thanks!

Best Answer

@TerriLR

I understand your hesitation to see a doctor. For me it is easy to say to go see one, when I am reluctant to go myself when I struggle with something. It is that you described that weird sensation that had me most concerned. I am happy to read you are going to give it rest.

Getting steps in on FitBit is less important than for your knee to heal. You can also lose weight via your diet, so that might be something to focus on first in your case.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

as i girl who has had a knee cap slip and dislocate which led to knee surgery which sucks, get it looked at. If you don't have insurance go to a physical therapist just pay for it, learn how to tape your knee and toggle the ice, Learn correctly how to strengthen it ( i'm guessing the ligament )  It will save you soo much in the long run , don't wait. If you have insurance they usually make you do the xrays 1st but push for the MRI , xrays don't show tissue damage only bone , good insurances will approve the MRI's even some not so good . There tons of work out stuff you can do to help this depending on the issue  

Best Answer

See a doctor, but also ice and compression are generally also good for most knee problems. I wear a slip-on compression sleeve as much as possible, and try to put a gel freezer wrap around my knee after exercising.

Also when increasing exercise, it's good to think long-term, i.e. not just how many steps can I get today, but how many this week, or month to take into account the effect of overdoing it now and then needing to miss multiple exercise days completely to heal.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Definitely see a physical therapist. They will help you with exercises that strengthen the muscles around your knees and show you stretches to prevent further injuries.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Definitely, see a physician to get some insight on the injured areas, and yes I would say rest until the appointment.

Best Answer
0 Votes