Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knee pain

ANSWERED
I have pain on the outside of my knee. I don't want to get out of the routine of walking, but it's starting to really be uncomfortable. Any suggestions?
Best Answer
0 Votes
6 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions
Hi and welcome

I'd see a doctor if I were you, just to check it out.

Are you wearing good supportive shoes, and stretching your legs after a long walk?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

Have you tried doing light stretches at all? I sometimes have had knee issues too. But yeah seeing a  doctor would be safest idea.

Have you looked at sites that might help before going to a doctor? I would rest and read a bit about what your symptoms may involve? The site below looked quite helpful.. Hope this helps a bit?

http://www.injurytreatment.com.au/search-injury-information/knee/lateral-outside-knee-pain

Harriet | UK | Don't wish for it work for it!

Flex, Samsung Nexus & Windows 7

Don't forget to mark as a solution or vote for a posting if you find it helpful 🙂

Best Answer

See a doctor or risk injury or permanent damage.

Go to a professional running store and learn about proper shoes and be fitted.

You may get some relief taking aleve but this is a short-term solution.

Change  terraine and direction you walk and change frequency and monitor how long and how far you can go before pain.

“I am my best work - a series of road maps, reports, recipes, doodles, and prayers from the front lines.”
― Audre Lorde

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have bad knees also, due to arthritis and my kneecap being misaligned.  There is a fancy name for it, but I forget what it is.  It causes my tendons and ligaments to inflame.  One thing that really helps is my custom fitted orthotics in my shoes.  The old saying "the hip bone is connected to the ankle bone" is very true.  If your feet are starting to flatten, or if there is any misalignment at all, it will affect your knees, hips, etc.  See a good orthopedic doctor and inquire if orthotics would help. 

You may find out that you need to alternate walking with an even less intense activity such as swimming or water aerobics.  I try to alternate as I begin the weight loss and strengthening journey, so that I don't totally wreck my knees for good.

Good luck!

Best Answer

Thanks for the info on the Strong Knees DVD.  I think the brief you tube video gives some of the basics I'll try for free.  As I was on You Tube I found a great series of rehab exercises for all portions of the body on the "Ask Doctor Jo" channel.  She also has a website that links to the videos.  Since my past history is comprised of spending  $$ on things that just collect dust after a few weeks, I promised myself that I won't do that unless I REALLY find that I am following through with my plan.  I think my fitbit and this community is going to help with that!

Best Answer

As all of the others have said, a doctor visit is in order.  I had the same problem when training for a marathon, and my Dr. sent me straight to physical therapy.  She said that knee and ankle pain in female walkers/runners is usually due to weak hip muscles.  After testing, that was my problem.  I got some exercises to do at home, ran 1/2 marathon instead of the full, and have had no problems since then, as I keep on strengthening my hips.  Good luck.

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16
Hi and welcome

I'd see a doctor if I were you, just to check it out.

Are you wearing good supportive shoes, and stretching your legs after a long walk?
Best Answer

Have you tried doing light stretches at all? I sometimes have had knee issues too. But yeah seeing a  doctor would be safest idea.

Have you looked at sites that might help before going to a doctor? I would rest and read a bit about what your symptoms may involve? The site below looked quite helpful.. Hope this helps a bit?

http://www.injurytreatment.com.au/search-injury-information/knee/lateral-outside-knee-pain

Harriet | UK | Don't wish for it work for it!

Flex, Samsung Nexus & Windows 7

Don't forget to mark as a solution or vote for a posting if you find it helpful 🙂

Best Answer

See a doctor or risk injury or permanent damage.

Go to a professional running store and learn about proper shoes and be fitted.

You may get some relief taking aleve but this is a short-term solution.

Change  terraine and direction you walk and change frequency and monitor how long and how far you can go before pain.

“I am my best work - a series of road maps, reports, recipes, doodles, and prayers from the front lines.”
― Audre Lorde
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have bad knees also, due to arthritis and my kneecap being misaligned.  There is a fancy name for it, but I forget what it is.  It causes my tendons and ligaments to inflame.  One thing that really helps is my custom fitted orthotics in my shoes.  The old saying "the hip bone is connected to the ankle bone" is very true.  If your feet are starting to flatten, or if there is any misalignment at all, it will affect your knees, hips, etc.  See a good orthopedic doctor and inquire if orthotics would help. 

You may find out that you need to alternate walking with an even less intense activity such as swimming or water aerobics.  I try to alternate as I begin the weight loss and strengthening journey, so that I don't totally wreck my knees for good.

Good luck!

Best Answer

Dipgal, hello, twin. Smiley Very Happy

I am naturally flat-footed and my tendons inflame. I'm going to see an podiatrist. I currently see a sports doctor.

― Audre Lorde
Best Answer
If it is an option for you, I'd suggest talking with your doctor about it. I had a shoulder injury and when I talked to mine, she had me do a series of stretches. I should say I iced it and rested and waited for it to heal for several months before I made my doctors appointment. She had me do these stretches for a couple months then call for another appointment if it didn't help. I waited about three months, doing the stretches, before I called. In this case, my pain did not get better. She then referred me to physical therapy, when I started PT my injury was about a year old, the PT had me do a mix of strengthening and stretching exercises and also did some manipulation. After about three months my pain was nearly gone and my rang of motion back to normal. I feel silly that I allowed myself to suffer for so long before having it dealt with. Saying that, there is a rather dry workout dvd called "Strong Knees" led by a physical therapist. I sometimes have mildly achy knees after a workout. This dvd is a mix of light strengthening for the muscles that support the knee (quads, calf, various glutes, inner thigh, etc) and it has a nice stretch for all these muscles. I was surprised in my case my pain went away after doing the stretch, so I try to use the stretching program fairly frequently. I guess the mild pain I experienced was due to muscle tension or something. So that might be an option if you think it is something like that, but if it is an option I would still suggest seeing your doctor or self referring to a physical therapist (if your insurance allows).

Sam | USA

Fitbit One, Macintosh, IOS

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

Best Answer
Thanks for all the advice. I've been stretching, but it's still pretty sore. I probably will go see my doctor.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Will you come back and let us know what is said please
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the info on the Strong Knees DVD.  I think the brief you tube video gives some of the basics I'll try for free.  As I was on You Tube I found a great series of rehab exercises for all portions of the body on the "Ask Doctor Jo" channel.  She also has a website that links to the videos.  Since my past history is comprised of spending  $$ on things that just collect dust after a few weeks, I promised myself that I won't do that unless I REALLY find that I am following through with my plan.  I think my fitbit and this community is going to help with that!

Best Answer

As all of the others have said, a doctor visit is in order.  I had the same problem when training for a marathon, and my Dr. sent me straight to physical therapy.  She said that knee and ankle pain in female walkers/runners is usually due to weak hip muscles.  After testing, that was my problem.  I got some exercises to do at home, ran 1/2 marathon instead of the full, and have had no problems since then, as I keep on strengthening my hips.  Good luck.

Best Answer

If all else fails, you might want to talk to an orthopedic doctor about a knee brace. If that's the route you decide to take, make sure you discuss it with a good orthopeidic doctor so he can fit you for one that's right for your specific problem & condition.  Some of these braces can be expensive but most insurances cover them if prescribed by a doctor, under durable medical equipment. 

I've got severe osteoarthritis on the medial side of both knees that rendered me physically inactive for several years.  I had cortisone and viscosupplementation injections, went through physical & aqua therapy an am finally just getting back to walking again.  I've worked my way up to walking about a 1/2 mile on the treadmill but then the knee pain begins to kick in.    

When I told my doctor, he suggested I wear orthopedic off-loader knee braces at least while I'm exercising.  An off-loader brace tightens on the side that is injured and is causing pain and shifts your weight onto the un-injured side.  Since I have no cartliage and my medial meniscus is worn down,  I am bone-on-bone on the insides of my knees and so naturally when I walk, the medial side of my femor & tibia grind together.  The off-loader brace will shift my weight to the lateral side (outside) of my knee where I do still have cartliage & meniscus.  

I haven't been fitted for these braces yet, but it looks as if I want to increase my walking distance, I'm going to need to wear them at least while I'm exercising.

Good luck to you.

Best Answer

I am a working in hospital and I am on my feel all day long. I had gotten to the point that I could barely walk at the end of the day. I would have to go home and prop my feet up for the rest of the night. orthofeet shoes have really helped with my heel pain, and I am able to be active after work again. I Love My Shoes! I tell my shoes EVERYDAY how much I love them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try using a foam roller on the quads. 

Simple exercises to improve glute and core stability such as bridges shoulder help too 

Here are some videos from Upright Athlete Physical Therapy 

https://www.uprightathlete.com/kneepainrelief/

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would see a doctor first.

They can see what is wrong and give you advice on the types

of sports or exercises you can do. It's better to be safe then sorry later

perhaps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Knee pain can be the result of injury, as well as from mechanical imbalances and other problems. While it is not always possible to prevent knee pain, wearing the proper footwear, along with maintaining a healthy weight, building up your leg muscles, and limiting high impact activities can all help to alleviate this problem. I've been doing some research on the mater and I would suggest that picking the right pair of shoes that fits your foot is quite important. You can, for example, read up on shoes for different activities at. You can also avoid high-impact exercise, such as running, skiing, snowboarding, or playing tennis until your knee is no longer painful or swollen (Obviously). Just so you know, when a runner doesn't know how to use the strength they have, they can also develop imbalances. One such area of movement pattern imbalance that can cause knee pain is uncontrolled pronation. With hope, you will be able to avoid knee pains in the future.

Moderator edit: Word choice 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My mother also suffers the same as your situation. She has knee pain last 8 years, and she tried all treatments and used all medicines, but she didn't get the result. Last, my father's friend suggests Rwell Ayurvedic Knee Joint Pain Killer Oil from the last 7 months, and she gets the result. She getting relief and feeling better than before. This ayurvedic pain killer oil is really effective.

Best Answer
0 Votes