Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging marital arts?

ANSWERED

Hey ladies n gentlemen! 🙂

I'm curious about logging martial arts. I've just started Aikido, and while it's not very cardio, I'm definitely hot n sweaty after (hehe). I don't know that my Zip's pedometer is going to do justice to all my rolling around and swinging.

Thoughts?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I'd try it both ways. First, wear your fitbit and do your activity. Sync and look at the data. Does it seem to represent what you did? Now go to your dashboard and manually log it (I think they give you 'martial arts' as an option to log) and compare the data. Which way looks more accurate? If you don't think the manually logged data makes sense, simply delete it and the original data will return. When I wore an Ultra (like a One, clipped on body) my kick boxing didn't record as enthusiastically as now, when I have a wrist worn charge HR.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

I'd try it both ways. First, wear your fitbit and do your activity. Sync and look at the data. Does it seem to represent what you did? Now go to your dashboard and manually log it (I think they give you 'martial arts' as an option to log) and compare the data. Which way looks more accurate? If you don't think the manually logged data makes sense, simply delete it and the original data will return. When I wore an Ultra (like a One, clipped on body) my kick boxing didn't record as enthusiastically as now, when I have a wrist worn charge HR.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried logging "Martial Arts" just now for what I did Wednesday. Class was 2 hours long, so that's what I put, and it tried to say I burned 1200cal, hahaha. I'll just have to go with whatever it detects in steps I guess.

Thanks though!

Best Answer
0 Votes

"Logging marital arts"?

Marital arts...lol:) 

Best Answer

HAHAHA! Oh Crap!

Best Answer

i won't log in martial arts without a heart rate monitor. "martial arts" (and boxing) is one of the most wrongly estimated exercise ever.

i'll probably just log it in as "walking, moderate speed" especially if its aikido and you are doing a lot of skill work as oppossed to conditioning work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

NinjaWolfess - I also study aikido. I have used a fitbit one for a year and a half. I would clip the One to my sports bra. I did notice that it didn't really register rolls very well but of course it did register all the steps and slides in technique. It also didn't register weapons very well. During a 2 hour class I get around 2000 - 3000 steps when I'm teaching but about half that when I'm taking a class, unless it's randori night. Guess that is because when sensei for the class, as I'm teaching the I'm moving around quite a bit to various pairs.

I now using the surge and have only had it for a week. Since of course I don't wear a watch in class I buckle the surge to my obi under the hakama with the watch face facing in. I seem to be getting similar numbers, but after the update I'm getting really goofy numbers for everything. I had gotten numbers similar to the One before the update. I'm starting regret giving the One to my husband. Hopefully Fitbit will fix the so called update.

Good luck in your aikido path.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everybody! It is great what you are doing! If you ever need or want to edit one of your posts you can do it by clicking Options and from the dropdown menu selecting Edit Reply. Have a nice day. Cat Very Happy

edit.jpg

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Even if it is not cardio it appears you are still getting the heart rate up. Your device may not log it on but the website should allow you too log it in. Just go with how long you did your training for that day and if your device tracks it your heart rate. If Martial Arts is not on your device just select work out.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Measured in meters per minute

Gary, Canada,
Charge HR, Charge 2
Best Answer
0 Votes