Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low heart rate

Hi 

I’ve seen similar posts about this but I got a notification from fit bit last night and I’m worried. 
im a 33 year old male, I’m now 120kg I’ve been exercising for 5 weeks almost everyday. Doing weights and cardio for around 30 mins each day. I’ve been diagnosed with diabetes earlier in the year. 

im just worried about my low heart rate since my doctor advised me yesterday the my pulse was low. 

I’ve changed my diet and I’m exercising, I want to get back to non diabetic levels of blood sugar. I want to stay healthy for the rest of my life.

this just makes me freak out like I’m going to die soon, but al the doctor said was if you get dizzy then stop.

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Last night my heart rate got down to 40 and stayed there for 9 mins.

Avg resting heart rate is 49

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Jed88 and welcome to the Help forum.  If you are concerned about your heart, then you should discuss it more with your primary care doctor or ask to be referred to a cardiologist.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had doctors fussing at me about my low heart rate for nearly 50 years now; personally I call it a red herring.  Why?  If you research Bradycardia, you will see it really is an issue only when you are not physically fit.

Dialing the clock back to the spring of 1973 I had to go to a doctor because of a bad case of poison ivy and he tried to put me in a hospital because my heart rate was hovering around 30; the thing was, I was a sophomore in high school and was running 1-mile races in about 4:40 and 2-mile races in about 10:00 flat.  He was so insistent on my going to the hospital he physically tried to restrain me from leaving his office and things got so ugly I had to threaten him with calling the police before he let me go.

I am now in my mid-60s and my typical resting heart rate has risen over the years to a few points either side of 40 bpm; I was recently badly injured in a dog attack and spent two days in our friendly neighborhood ICU, the first night of which I was in a coma; one of the nurses told me she literally spent the entire first night in my room just "knowing" she was going to need to sound the alarm at a moment's notice.  I thanked her for her concern but told her it was normal for me to sleep with my heart rate down in the high 30s, she said, "Yeah, I see that now, but yesterday I was very worried for you."

I told you all of that to tell you this, over the years the medical community's awareness and acceptance of folks who are physically fit, even if they carry some extra pounds like I do, and have a low heart rate, has grown significantly.  I was referred to a cardiologist in my late 50s for no other reason than a low heart rate, even though my EKG was completely normal; he took one look at me, laughed, and said, "Get out of here, just keep doing whatever you're doing."

Am I suggesting you shouldn't see a cardiologist if you are concerned?  Heck no.  All I'm trying to do is suggest any concern may be overblown.

Best Answer