Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low resting heart rate (too low?)

ANSWERED

Hi

I just bought a Fitbit Charge HR and have therefore started keeping an eye on resting heart rate.

The dashboard so far says 55, 60 and 62 for the resting heart rate stat for the first few days (first day was a half day as I got it in the afternoon)

If I look at the graph, particularly at night, it goes down into the 50s and even took a momentary dip to 49 last night.

Out of curiosity I googled healthy heart rates and ended up reading that below 60 is considered 'bradycardia' and a possible cause for concern unless you're an athlete. For my age (33) and gender (male) I'm between the "excellent" and "athlete" categories for this resting range.  But I'm definitely not an athlete.  I go for a 30-45 minute brisk walk most lunch hours, do about 30 minutes of bodyweight exercises every 2-3 days (I achieved an intentional 75lb weight loss from obese to lean but neglected to do any strength training so ended up a bit 'skinnyfat' - well underway with fixing that now) but otherwise am sat on my backside at my desk all day, which is one reason I got the band.  It's rare that I do anything massively 'cardio' - sometimes trek up a mountain but we're talking "plod up one a few times a year admiring the scenery" not "run up a few times a week" as I'd expect an athlete to do.

You're generally advised to watch out for dizziness.  It's not usually a problem for me, but I did get dizzy a few weeks ago whilst gardening (which I put down to overexertion and dehydration at the time), I didn't faint but my head and vision got a bit wobbly for a few seconds.  I've only ever noticed this when getting carried away with gardening (not just plucking a few weeds... it's overrun with brambles so better described as terraforming tbh) and I think once when doing a lot of bending around laying a carpet.

Is the consensus that there's any cause for concern?  I know the only real answer is "go and see your doctor, we are not your doctor" and I know all the disclaimer stuff that the Fitbit isn't a heart health tool and no post is official health advice etc, but I'd rather not go dashing straight there potentially wasting his time on something I've read on the internet 😉

Edit: Current HR 56 sat at desk.  Wikipedia is a little less alarmist and seems to suggest down to about 50 may be ok.

Best Answer
103 REPLIES 103
That’s very reassuring. After the last post about heart block, I’m off to the doctors today, just to be sure. I walk every day and play tennis twice a week but do get a little out of breath, but then I’m 64!
I wake up in the night with a racing heart, but it’s only actually in the 50’s. It interferes with my sleep, so I never feel rested. Hope to sort this today. Would be grateful to hear of anyone else with similar symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I also get that racing heart feeling which turns out to be actually slower than is normal. I've not yet got to the bottom of it. I'm guessing it might be the heart beating harder rather than faster - to the point where I become aware of it. Being aware of your heart isn't pleasant and doubly so at 3am!

I thought it might be atrial fibrillation but I borrowed a Kardia device and that ruled that out.

I have a Holter ECG booked this month so might get some insight then. 

I think you're wise going to the doc. These symptoms might well be nothing remotely important and causing you needless anxiety and sleeplesness - only one way to find out.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, the racing heart (though only 50 something bpm) is alarming and stops me getting back to sleep, sometimes for hours.
I’m going to ask the doctor about it and will report anything interesting back!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone.. I have got to 80 with a First Degree Heart Block.. I only found out when I hit Senior years. In Australia you have extra services in the medical area when you reach this milestone..

As a preamble to this... When in doubt you must get checked... and it's more common than you think and doesn't affect many.  I never get giddy and don't notice it unless I'm asleep. Please excuse the information here because every little bit can help others understand there worries.

I can smile with those posting that it wakes them. If I'm sleeping on my left side, occasionally the missing beat, and then the quick multiple beats wakes me..

I have most likely posted elsewhere, but all is well with me..  I also have a low heart rate and pre-hypertensive.  Years ago my BP was 133/65 and in those days they considered 140/90 normal BP. It now moves between 122/65 to 135/78 at my checkups.

The cardiologists have a bit off a friendly chat when they check me and say, "Oh you missed a beat there but it did a couple of catch ups".  They do that because my heart is normal size, valves are OK and all of my bloods are normal..  Genetic with me, and when I think back over my younger years I could go all day, but never a sprinter.

My father used to tell me sport would kill me.. He came out of the depression and trying to feed 5 kids, me the eldest. Why did he say that ?... During winter I used to play competitive Australian Rules Football on Saturday's, the Under 16's in the morning, the under 18's in the afternoon and then on Sunday ,  were the Fire Brigades v's the Hotels v's the Police and other Groups who wanted to play competition.. I was an apprentice Toolmaker then.. So my genetics played a part in being able to do that.

When Fitbit released their HR watches I was able to plot the missing beats, and ONLY if I slept using the Workout Exercise option. This image below was possible because the missing beat woke me and I memorized the time and went back to sleep

Missing beat 28nov18 -2.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes