Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low resting heart rate (too low?)

ANSWERED

Hi

I just bought a Fitbit Charge HR and have therefore started keeping an eye on resting heart rate.

The dashboard so far says 55, 60 and 62 for the resting heart rate stat for the first few days (first day was a half day as I got it in the afternoon)

If I look at the graph, particularly at night, it goes down into the 50s and even took a momentary dip to 49 last night.

Out of curiosity I googled healthy heart rates and ended up reading that below 60 is considered 'bradycardia' and a possible cause for concern unless you're an athlete. For my age (33) and gender (male) I'm between the "excellent" and "athlete" categories for this resting range.  But I'm definitely not an athlete.  I go for a 30-45 minute brisk walk most lunch hours, do about 30 minutes of bodyweight exercises every 2-3 days (I achieved an intentional 75lb weight loss from obese to lean but neglected to do any strength training so ended up a bit 'skinnyfat' - well underway with fixing that now) but otherwise am sat on my backside at my desk all day, which is one reason I got the band.  It's rare that I do anything massively 'cardio' - sometimes trek up a mountain but we're talking "plod up one a few times a year admiring the scenery" not "run up a few times a week" as I'd expect an athlete to do.

You're generally advised to watch out for dizziness.  It's not usually a problem for me, but I did get dizzy a few weeks ago whilst gardening (which I put down to overexertion and dehydration at the time), I didn't faint but my head and vision got a bit wobbly for a few seconds.  I've only ever noticed this when getting carried away with gardening (not just plucking a few weeds... it's overrun with brambles so better described as terraforming tbh) and I think once when doing a lot of bending around laying a carpet.

Is the consensus that there's any cause for concern?  I know the only real answer is "go and see your doctor, we are not your doctor" and I know all the disclaimer stuff that the Fitbit isn't a heart health tool and no post is official health advice etc, but I'd rather not go dashing straight there potentially wasting his time on something I've read on the internet 😉

Edit: Current HR 56 sat at desk.  Wikipedia is a little less alarmist and seems to suggest down to about 50 may be ok.

Best Answer
103 REPLIES 103

No, nothing concerning at all. Mine goes down to 38 at night often. It's not a big deal at all. If you're not symptomatic in any way, there's not an issue. Feel free to ask your doc at your next visit. But you probably have a naturally low resting rate and losing weight brought you to where your heart can function more efficiently. Congrats 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you! I’m staying not to worry too much about it. I did have a full work up at the cardiologist last year and all was good but that was before I started dieting and excercising.

Regards,
Ramona Vennam
Best Answer
0 Votes

My resting heart rate is currently at 50 bpm.  I average around 30-35,000 steps a day which is an average of a little over 100 miles a week so I'm assuming that is why mine is low.  When sleeping, I wake up and sometimes its around 45.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have a fitbit and my resting pulse in the low 40s, I have never been over 47 bpm.  At night I drift into the mid 30s, ask your parents, my mom and my sibs are the same.  I am 63, run 6 miles a day and have no trouble maintaining a pulse of 180 bpm while running.  Unless you have symptoms, don't worry, but ask your doc, esp if your bradycardia is not regular.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My cardiologist said I am healthy with an efficient heart. However, sometimes my Fitbit can’t track my sleep because it says it could not get a consistent heart reading which concerns me that it may be getting too low when I am sleeping.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
I don’t think too low is the problem more like sleeping position or position or tightness of the wristband my resting heart rate can average around 34 & seems to be lower when resting like on the couch watching tv when awake & occasionally when sleeping. I’ve switched to a Garmin tracker & the readings seem to be pretty consistent with the Fitbit. When exercising it fails to pick up hr sometimes for the same reasons sweaty, wrong position etc. keeping it clean & firm helps. I guess I’ve always had a low hr & now I track I’ve learnt that it’s normal for me but unusual for most.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Every night I also have one reading around 2AM of 37. I also have hypothyroidism. All I can read all mention litter is better. I have read the technology as well as laying in for but wrong or a skipped beat can all affect it. Sometimes I get one 37 reading during a day time nap. I'm trying to not freak out since I've lived with anxiety and health anxiety for over forty years.

I heard a guy say the other day "I don't want to go to the doctor every day" referring to our Fitbit reports. I've been trying to only use it for step counting and stop watch and to not get obsessed with sleep and heart beat.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have Bradycardia (low heart rate) and I've had 40 bpm many times.  I also have hypothyroidism.I also have high blood pressure and have had 170/85 bp with 45 heart rate.  I accepted and embrace it.  I feel really tired with low bp but not with low HR.37 is very low even for Bradycardia but a low BP with that would be concerning.  With Bradycardia,  manage your BP & your HR will usually take care of itself. I love the Fitbit but wish it could monitor BP.  I started out using it for logging steps for my DR but now use to monitor my overall health.Joe B
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Joeb212 wrote:
I love the Fitbit but wish it could monitor BP.

You may want to check this other topic for alternative ways to monitor your BP.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes it’s not really a problem some people are just different & if you are fit & healthy it really isn’t an issue. I have had other people freak out about it & thought I was going to collapse on them ie when donating blood. Doctors say oh you must be really fit etc. I guess it’s all relative I don’t consider myself that fit but compare to most people yeah I would be. If I’mtraining or working out a lot it will drop down even further than my moderately fit resting 38-44 regular rate. When I’m putting in the k’s it goes as low as late 20’s. I hate going up over 160’s when training so I guess that’s also relative pushing myself round the 158 mark is comfortable. I’m
I am over 50 years now so got to take it easy haha 😂.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Shazzy for the good words of wisdom and uplifting post. I have also tried to change the way I search on Google as well. Looking for the good of a low resting heart rate instead of "danger" words.

Best Answer
BetzHohe: Are you being treated for your hypothyroidism? Hypothyroidism
can cause a lowered HR. Is your Dr. aware of your concerns? Any HR below
60/min is abnormal and called Bradycardia.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. Yes, I am on Armour Thyroid. I have Hashimotos. My resting heart rate only goes to 40-ish once a night. I can't tell for how long since when I click on the 40 it only gives me the time and it's hard to see how often it's listed. I usually am right at 60 most of my life and I do walk an hour a day so I am not freaked out about it but I wondered how off the tracker can be though since it happens once a night I assume there's a time I am really out like a light when it happens.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't test as hypothyroid, but I think I might be, I am always cold! Can you get Armour thyroid OTC or do you need a prescription?
I drift down to about 37 at night, but it generally doesn't go down below that, I hit 21 when I was sick once, but I came back up to 40 pretty quick

Thanks

katherine
Best Answer
0 Votes

Katherine,

Armour is not OTC. It's a prescription. However, you could test yourself online and if you are you can take the test to your doctor. I use Everlywell online test kits mid-year. Then for my annual physical I go to "Any Blood Test" since it's close to my doctor and I pay out of pocket so he sends us there.

I think it's actually a good thing but since I also have anxiety/hypochondria a bit I can fixate on something like this until I know all is well. That's the downside of the fitbit. I am getting a report daily and then I go to the web and worry warts say things that can take me down the fear trail. Even though I don't think of myself as an "athlete" I do think genetically I just have a slower pulse and blood pressure and it's nothing to worry about. Just the opposite.

Thanks for the comments.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mkki,

Use caution here. Hypothyroidism can lead to other conditions.  It is diagnosed with a blood test most Drs can do right in their office.  Then, if positive,  medication is by prescription.  If you have hypothyroidism you will have more severe effects than being cold.  But a low body temp is usually a symptom of pituitary disfunction,  which does need a medical diagnosis & can require medication as well.

Sounds like a complete physical exam is in order & share every symptom with your Dr.

But Bradycardia by itself is concerning only to be aware & let any medical professional you see know it.  There are certain medications you must avoid, especially most beta blockers.  And getting too low for an extended period is dangerous. Any below 40 for an extended period is getting into a danger zone.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My cardiologist says I am in excellent shape for my age (69) and very fit and my low resting heart rate is an average of 42 but goes down to 36 at night. He is not worried unless it goes below 30.
When I workout, my heart rate can go to 154 during aerobics. I feel great and no affects from low heart rate.

Fitbit Grannie
Best Answer

Hi NellyG

i agree with you about heart rates being inherited. My father had a very low heart rate and I’m the same (reasonably fit but not an athlete!).  My father had dementia when he was in his 80’s and had to have a pacemaker fitted as the doctors didn’t realise his heart rate was always low! 

Best Answer

Yes, that's why it's important to have Bradycardia documented in health records.

Of course, I didn't realize that until my 50's. VA dr had me on beta blocker when I didn't know the difference.  I was constantly tired & my heart rate never got over 50. After proper diagnosis,  I could prevent this. But no excuse for Dr not realizing my low HR.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Revisiting this after I opened my app (Garmin actually but shhh) and it said 33bpm!  Never seen it that low before, I do get low 40s though.  I've not had it drop past 43 in the past hour or so since, probably because it got me worried and raised my bpm as a result 🙂

Still alive more than 4 years after starting the thread though, I'm now 37.  Definitely not an athlete, the most I do is a brisk walk every lunchtime, and sometimes 10k-20k steps on weekends.  I do get a bit dizzy sometimes if let's say I'm crouching down looking at something in the shops or doing gardening, and then stand up quickly.  From what I've heard that's normal though.  I've never passed out, but felt close to it once.  This is only a rare occurence - if I was often dizzy I'd go and see the doctor.

Might explain why I put on weight if I so much as sniff a good meal.

Best Answer
0 Votes