Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marathon with a Fitbit?

Hello everyone,,

I'm thinking of a Marathon late in 2018 (December is our local one). 

With the new watches out (Ionic) and coming out (Charge 3?) I'm trying to see if I can use Fitbit to help prepare and run the course.  I'm interested in if anything gives audio cues about distance/pace/etc.  Any apps for the Ionic help in training?  Do any apps give audible pace info via Bluetooth headphones? 

I've had my Charge 2 for a year (which I love), but I'd be willing to upgrade to an Charge 3/Ionic/Ionic-replacement-with-GPS/whatever if it would actually help me prepare and stay on pace for the big day.  I can wait nearly the entire year to upgrade, but I'd like it to be something that will genuinely help me on race day.  I don't see what I want right now, but I may not be perfectly informed.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

I’m somewhat confused about the dates: did you post your questions in November 2019, as suggested by the date stamp of your post, or in November 2018, as suggested by the fact you intended to participate in a marathon in late 2018, and you spoke of the Charge 3 as a not-yet-available model?

Anyhow, just in case your questions are still current: your best bet is probably to go for the Ionic, which has built-in GPS (other models require pairing to your phone for GPS, which is usually less reliable). No Fitbit provides audible pacing info AFAIK. However, Ionic in running mode will vibrate every kilometer/mile, and display pacing info for the previous lap. I found that useful when running a half-marathon three years ago (I had a Surge at the time). My goal was to run between 6m00s and 6m30s per km, which translated to about 2h-2h15m total time.

If you really need audible pacing info, you can use a mobile app like Runtastic, but this means you’ll have to carry your phone with you and the GPS will come from the phone, not your Fitbit. I’m sure other running apps have similar features, but Runtastic is the one I know.

Let us know how your race goes (or went)!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes