Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March Madness -- Monthly Step Challenge

ANSWERED

March Madness -- Monthly Step Challenge

Time for a new monthly challenge.  I may add some variation related to the collage basketball tournament coming up this month in the US, but for now just the standard stuff.

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though we tend to track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

The March Madness Variation.

Will there be one?  I have an idea perculating, but thoughts are welcome.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Here are my goals for March

-15K steps/day for all 31 days.
-1 pushup/day for all 31 days (I always do more, but this goal gets me into position!)
-1 pullup/day for all 31 days (because of elbow tendonitis, I will stop doing daily pull-ups for a month)
-16 weight-lifting days (I am moving from three days/week (M,W,F) to four (S,M,W,F).  Total volume (reps and sets for the week) will probably go up a little bit, but not too much as I plan to keep each day under an hour, rather than the 1.25-1.5 hours I've been doing on the 3 day/week plan.  

-Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month.  (Looking at my Feb. records this will be a hard goal to meet; I only hit 6+ hours 6 times last month!)

Scott | Baltimore MD

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
203 REPLIES 203

Here are my goals for March

-15K steps/day for all 31 days.
-1 pushup/day for all 31 days (I always do more, but this goal gets me into position!)
-1 pullup/day for all 31 days (because of elbow tendonitis, I will stop doing daily pull-ups for a month)
-16 weight-lifting days (I am moving from three days/week (M,W,F) to four (S,M,W,F).  Total volume (reps and sets for the week) will probably go up a little bit, but not too much as I plan to keep each day under an hour, rather than the 1.25-1.5 hours I've been doing on the 3 day/week plan.  

-Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month.  (Looking at my Feb. records this will be a hard goal to meet; I only hit 6+ hours 6 times last month!)

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

March goals:

310,000 steps.  Average of 10K per day
26 days at least 10K

26 days with 11/11 "active hours"

31 days of food logging.

In order to do this I need to figure out the toe cushioning for my Morton's neuroma.  It only bothers me when I walk, not when I run, but I can't run very much right now.

Best Answer

For March my goals are

13K steps/day 0/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 0/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 0/31

12 weight lifting days 0/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 0/31

13 Days of Yoga or Pilates   0/13

Changed my last goal. Need less walking and more Body

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Okay, I am hoping to improve this month, so my goal is a streak of meeting my 12 k daily steps goal almost every day.  But since it is still snowing, and very icy and treacherous to even set foot outdoors, I may have to call it a 26 day month (I am declaring that March starts on Monday.)

The weather here is being called the "Beast from the East", and is among the worst we have had for 10 years -- but hopefully it will be all over by Monday.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

My goals for this month are simple.

1. Reduce my body fat from my 18% average for last month to 17.5% or below. Coincidentally, it was 18% this morning.

>18,  18, 17.9, 17.8, 17.7, 17.6, 17.5

2. Lose 3 pounds

162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169

@Wendy,

Thanks for your concern about my knees. They were fine a couple days after backing off on my steps.

Best Answer

March 1

13K steps/day 0/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 2/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 2/31

12 weight lifting days 0/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 2/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 0/13

Did not make steps today. Went to see a Movie 1517 to Paris. Was about the guys from Sacramento who took down the terrorist on the train to Paris. Was played by the actual people as well.  The ending was the best part. I remember it well as they are from my city

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/15-17-to-paris/

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Thanks for launching the March Madness Challenge, @Baltoscott! Only spotted it this morning (2nd). Our month in Switzerland started with TONS of snow (slow traffic and lots of accidents, even for here!); and I came down with a bad cold. 🤧

Still, I'm up for the challenge, and like the idea of adding # hours' sleep to the list. A couple of questions: 1) Do I need to sleep with my Fitbit for it to count? 2) Do naps count? 🙃

My March Madness Challenge Goals 

10,000 Steps/day x 21 days

Lifting Weights x 21 days

15-Min Trampoline x 21 days 

Sleep 7+ hours x 21 days 

P.S. I'll be doing 'stuff' the other days, too. But the no-pressure of meeting daily goals was great last month. 

Best Answer

March 1

15K step/day:               1/31

1 pushup/day:              1/31

16 weight-lifting days:   0/16

6 6+hour sleep days:    0/6

Dang.  Missed my sleep goal by six minutes.  (I was actually in bed for about 7 hours, but fitbit had me awake for almost an hour of that).  @Jotex -- wrist worn fitbits will automatically track your sleep if you wear them to bed.  The zip does not track sleep, and the now discontinued One will track sleep, but not automatically.

Because I am taking a break from pull-ups this month I wound up breaking a long running streak yesterday:

Pull-up streak ends at 210 days :-(Pull-up streak ends at 210 days 😞

I feel like I should have a memorial service to honor my streak.  Well, still moving forward with pushups!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

3/1 

Average >10K - >13,440
daily 10K - 1/26
11 dots - 0/26

food log - 1/31

The dots annoys me because it says I missed 3pm-4pm, but that is one I specifically remember doing because I was going to take a shower and then it buzzed at me.  But it says no, so for now I will give it a zero  This isnt the first time I've had it lose a time segment when I stick it on the charger.

My foot is annoying me today but instead of backing off the 10K I am backing of the long stretch.  I'm working from home today on tasks that largely involve me waiting for replies and more info so I am trying for 1K per hour instead of my usual 3-4 mile walk.  Send emails.  Hop on treadmill for 8.5 mintues. repeat

Best Answer

@BaltoscottI need to get my Husband in on that Throw one thing away. He is a packrat Smiley Tongue

Community Council Member

Best Answer

@WendyB - I have a packrat problem too.  Notice I don’t have any streak going on that one either Smiley LOL

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Only one day in and I'm changing my goals because of some research I'm doing. I'm attempting to gain lean weight while losing weight.  I finally found the training plan to do it.

DateWeightFat %fat wtlean wt.
3/1/2018165.418.029.8135.6
3/2/2018164.817.328.5136.3
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Baltoscott- what app do you use for streak tracking?  I'd love to set some up. 

and question...have you had any luck changing your sleep because of the info you get off of fitbit?  I got the HR mostly for that but not sure really what i am going to do with the data.  I've had sleep issues for years.  It;s mostly just confirming what I already know, that I get a little deep sleep at the beginning of the night but after that its all very light and if I get woken up after 1 am that is all she wrote.  I have a theoretical goal of 6.5 hours, but rarely get that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurgeCare to share? I would be interested

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BaltoscottI printed it and put it on his desk with a note Please do this. When he went to his office I said aren't I cute? He said no and it wont happen Smiley Frustrated

Community Council Member

Best Answer

March 1

13K steps/day 1/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 3/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 3/31

12 weight lifting days 1/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 3/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 1/13

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Oh no! I am late to the party 

Goals may need some review when I think about them a bit more, but I liked the lack of pressure in February so I will set more flexible goals this month.

Steps 10,000 5 days out of 7

Swim 2x per week

Fitbit coach or bike ride 1x per week

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

3 March

So far:

Step goal                  3/5        3/31

Swim                         1/2        1/8

Fitbit Coach/Bike    -/1         -/4

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Average>10K :  >13K

Daily 10K: 2/26

11 dots:  1/26

Food log: 2/31

13,700 steps yesterday despite no workout.  Although I think I might have logged a few "steps" clapping at a play last night. Foot feels a little better.  Might try a treadmill workout today - outdoors bugs it more.

Best Answer