Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March Madness -- Monthly Step Challenge

ANSWERED

March Madness -- Monthly Step Challenge

Time for a new monthly challenge.  I may add some variation related to the collage basketball tournament coming up this month in the US, but for now just the standard stuff.

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though we tend to track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

The March Madness Variation.

Will there be one?  I have an idea perculating, but thoughts are welcome.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
203 REPLIES 203

@Ennay,

When that situation happens and you get the red bar on top, check way at the bottom and it will tell you what word is forbidden. Lots of times, they don't make sense.

Shoes are one of those personal choices. Everyone has different experiences.

If you would like to broaden your knowledge, I suggest this book: The soldier's foot and the military shoe; a handbook for officers and noncommissioned officers of th....  The entire text is at the link. It's about old military boots, but it teaches about the structure of the feet and how to find a good fitting shoe. 

Best Answer

@GershonSurge  yeah - but this time it wasnt a word.  They put an entire paragraph in. 

Best Answer

@Ennaywrote:

@GershonSurge  yeah - but this time it wasnt a word.  They put an entire paragraph in. 

That whole red bar at the top things seems to happen when I take too long to compose a post.  I just copy the whole thing to the clipboard, exit, and then start over, pasting in what I copied to the clipboard.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Just wanted you to know @Julia_G that you aren’t the last one to get started this month. I came down with a bad, wearying cold and hope to start today. Since I got up at 4:30 this morning, my sleep goal can only be met if I can catch a ling nap later today. 😂 

UPDATED March Madness Goals Steps10,000/day x 15 days

Lifting Weights x 15 days

Trampoline 15-min x 15 days

Sleep 7+ hours x 15 days

My weight has recently nudged back up a little, so I’d like to...

Weight Lose 2.5 kg (5.5 lbs) - currently 70.1 kg 

Best Answer

Oops — see I made a typo in my first paragraph. Make that a long nap. 

On the upside, I just earned the Serengeti badge (500 miles on my Fitbit). Whoop!

Best Answer

Thanks, not this time at least. This road is at the end of my driveway
about 1/4 mile from my house. We built up in the trees, if the water
reaches us over half of Missouri will be under water.

@Baltoscott

Best Answer

@GershonSurge wow thats big feet! No wonder you want to preserve your shoes!

@benvegi that is quite a creek!

@Ennay weird how shoes came across as innapropriate to the forum police! I was posting on a poultry forum once and you couldnt put in the shortened version of the word Cockerel for a while until someone realised it was rediculous to edit it out on a poultry forum. Gave us a good laugh anyway.

6 March

Step goal                  5/5        5/31

Swim                         2/2        2/8

Fitbit Coach/Bike    1/1         1/4

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
MarchWeightFat %fat wt lean wt.
3/1/2018165.418.029.8 135.6
3/2/2018164.817.328.5 136.3
3/3/2018165.018.230.0 135.0
3/4/2018165.019.732.5 132.5
3/5/2018163.817.228.2 135.6
3/6/2018161.817.728.6 133.2
Best Answer

March 6

Steps 10,000/day x 1/15 days
Lifting Weights x 1/15 days
Trampoline 15-min x 1/15 days
Sleep 7+ hours x 1/15 days
Lose 2.5 kg - currently 70.1 kg - 0 loss

Best Answer

Through yesterday

Average >10K  - 5/31

Daily 10K - 5/26

dots: 4/26

food: 5/31

ugh thought I had a day of working from home and someone called in sick so I have to last minute pack a lunch and go in.  It's hard to get steps chained to a lightboard all day. 

Best Answer

March 6

15K step/day: 6/31
1 pushup/day: 6/31
16 weight-lifting days: 3/16
12 6+hour sleep days: 2/12

@GershonSurge -- while I was researching your question about putting your TrendWeight link in your signature, I was updating mine to add my current devices and apparently deleted the whole signature.  Didn't even realize it for a day.  Started from scratch and think I've got it all fixed.  

@Jotex -- on my train commute from Baltimore to DC I will often nod off if I haven't managed at least 5 hours of sleep the night before.  It never seems to help me avoid feeling like a zombie mid-afternoon.  Just trying to avoid afternoon caffeine to "solve" the afternoon zombie problem because it compounds the problem by making it harder to get to sleep at the proper time the next night.  So far I'm stuck on just two 6+hour sleep days so far this month.  I'm keeping that goal out of my streak app!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Baltoscott

I used to have similar challenges due to my 90 minute commute from Belp to Lucerne. I only had one connection an hour, and because I couldn’t be late for my lesson (College Lecturer in Business English), if I had early class, I got up at 3:45 am to have time to make it to the 5.28 am train. Many times I had to take the 7 or 8 pm train which put me home at 9.45 or 10.45 pm. Needless to say, I was a tired little puppy by then. Be good to yourself!

Best Answer

@Jotex  Hope you are feeling better now! Yeah on your new badge. I dont get new badges anymore Smiley FrustratedSmiley Sad

@Ennay  There have been reports else where where its not allowing you to post. I know they are working on the forums for spam and it has caused some problems.

@GershonSurge  Wow that is a big foot never heard of so many EEE. I'm sure the shoes are hard to find. Probably expensive too.

March 6

13K steps/day 5/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 6/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 6/31

12 weight lifting days 2/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 6/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 2/13

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@Jotex, thanks for letting me know I am not the last -- congrats on the new badge and I am glad you are feeling better -- it also sounds a relief that you don't have that long, long day any more!  These days I work mainly from home, so my commute is from my bedroom to the dining table...  I am in awe of people like you and @Baltoscott who have the discipline to get up, day after day, well before dawn.

As for the March Challenge, I'm now on a 2 day streak (12k steps per day) lol

6 March steps 12790

I did not make it to bed by 11 last night, so that is 0/20 Smiley Sad

The scale moved in the wrong direction, but hopefully by the end of the week, when I report, it will be better news.

I am still very impressed with those of you like @WendyB who have lots of goals (and are meeting them! -- well done all!). For myself, I am keeping things simple once again this month as I am still making flowers, dresses, and waistcoats for my younger son's wedding next month...

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

@Baltoscott- I get to the point sometimes in the afternoon where the pressure to sleep is almost overwhelming.  Usually if I get a chance to nap it's only 5 minutes, but it helps so much.  Last night was weird in that I got almost 7 hours of sleep, but much less deep sleep than usual. 

I managed to get 9K steps at work today, mostly before noon.  I was able to march in place/dance between cues for the first show, but this afternoon I was training someone on light board and couldnt really do that.  I hope the light guy is not sick tomorrow.

Best Answer

7 March

Step goal                  6/5        6/31

Swim                         2/2        2/8

Fitbit Coach/Bike    2/1         2/4

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
DateWeightFat % fat wt lean wt.
3/1/2018165.418.0 29.8 135.6
3/2/2018164.817.3 28.5 136.3
3/3/2018165.018.2 30.0 135.0
3/4/2018165.019.7 32.5 132.5
3/5/2018163.817.2 28.2 135.6
3/6/2018161.817.7 28.6 133.2
3/7/2018163.817.5 28.7 135.1
Best Answer

3/6

Average>10K 6/31

Daily >10K 6/26

11 Dots: 4/26

food tracking " 6/31

Eeergh.  Missed a dot because after running two matinees I was exhausted and took a wee bit of a nap from about 3:45 to 4:01  and had only 201steps in the hour . 

MTA - noticed that the weight tracker shows I have hit 10% of my goal. 

Best Answer

March 7

15K step/day: 7/31
1 pushup/day: 7/31
16 weight-lifting days: 4/16
12 6+hour sleep days: 2/12

Fun fact.  I've got another habit tracking app called "minihabits" which allows me to track "bonus" reps for habits like my 1 pushup/day habit.  I check off the habit by doing the one pushup, and then I record the total number of reps done that day.  (I usually do a set of 20-25 when I get down to do the daily one/rep, but I do other routines that add more some days).  The mini-habits app does not keep track of my current streak like the other app I use, but it does -- I just realized -- keep a running total of all the days I've met the daily goal, and totals all the reps as well.

Since May 1, 2017, I met the daily pushup goal 287 days, and did total of 10,030 pushups!

10 months of pushups10 months of pushups

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Baltoscott, that's a lot of pushups!  You must be very strong by now!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer