Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March Madness -- Monthly Step Challenge

ANSWERED

March Madness -- Monthly Step Challenge

Time for a new monthly challenge.  I may add some variation related to the collage basketball tournament coming up this month in the US, but for now just the standard stuff.

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though we tend to track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

The March Madness Variation.

Will there be one?  I have an idea perculating, but thoughts are welcome.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
203 REPLIES 203

March 7

13K steps/day 6/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 7/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 7/31

12 weight lifting days 3/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 7/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 3/13

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@BaltoscottI found an app MiniHABITs for Android. But it wanted me to pay to add to the push up that was there so I removed it.

I'm cheap when it comes to paying for apps 🙂

Community Council Member

Best Answer

@WendyBI found a few habit trackers that were free for Android, but I havent had a chance to evaluate any

Best Answer

@Ennay I found one for Driod called Habit bull.  Just set it up like I have it listed here. I only set one reminder to see how it goes.  Just didn't want it going off for everyone.

I will see how it works and let you know.

Community Council Member

Best Answer

I only need 250 steps to get my 10K today.  And i am having a hard time convincing myself even though I know it will take 2 minutes.  I am that tired.

Best Answer

@Ennaywrote:

I only need 250 steps to get my 10K today.  And i am having a hard time convincing myself even though I know it will take 2 minutes.  I am that tired.

I know that feeling @Ennay. Hope you made it! 

Best Answer

8 March

Step goal                  1/5        7/31

Swim                         1/2        3/8

Fitbit Coach/Bike    -/1         2/4

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
DateWeightFat % fat wt lean wt.
3/1/2018165.418.0 29.8 135.6
3/2/2018164.817.3 28.5 136.3
3/3/2018165.018.2 30.0 135.0
3/4/2018165.019.7 32.5 132.5
3/5/2018163.817.2 28.2 135.6
3/6/2018161.817.7 28.6 133.2
3/7/2018163.817.5 28.7 135.1
3/8/2018165.217.7 29.2 136.0
Best Answer

Avg>10K :7/31

Days>10K :7/26

11 dots:5/26

food track: 7/31

Made it over  the 10K mark.  Last 3 days have all been snippets of marching around with very little continuous or HR raising activity.  blehhh.  Last day of double matinees.  This working while the sun is up thing is for the birds.  My normal schedule is 3-4 hours of flex time during the day and then lots of evening and weekend hours. 

Best Answer

March 8

15K step/day: 8/31
1 pushup/day: 8/31
16 weight-lifting days: 4/16
12 6+hour sleep days: 2/12 (stuck at 2!)

Nice.  Finished up my steps at lunch, just in time host a 2 PM conference call.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

March 8

Steps 10,000/day x 2/15 days
Lifting Weights x 2/15 days
Trampoline 15-min x 2/15 days
Sleep 7+ hours x 2/15 days
Lose 2.5 kg - currently 70.1 kg - .5 kg loss

Best Answer

March 8

13K steps/day 7/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 8/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 8/31

12 weight lifting days 3/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 8/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 3/13

Community Council Member

Best Answer

3/8
Avg>10K 8/31 but boy it is falling 5 days of just barely making the 10 k

Daily 10K: 8/26

dots: 6/26

Food tracking:  8/31

Haven't been making my activity minutes goal, need to get a good stretch of exercise today instead of blips of  walk just enough to make it to the hourly goal.

Crazy 7 hours and 22 minutes of sleep last night!  Holy moly.  I was wide awake for about 1/2 hour at 2 am but yowza.  I'm not sure why this week wore me out so much.  Will be going out late tonight so will be interesting to see how much sleep I manage.  I usually cant sleep in.

Best Answer

@EnnayI like the HabitBull App except you can only have 5 habits and then it wants you to pay. Will need to look for a new one.

March 9

13K steps/day 8/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 9/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 9/31

12 weight lifting days 4/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 9/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 4/13

Pretty sure I wont make steps tomorrow. Never do when I go Paint and sip Smiley Very Happy

Community Council Member

Best Answer

So i have decided to tweak one of my goals.  The dots aren't working for me because I am becoming too time stressed. So I added an hour to the day and I am changing the goal from 26 days of 11 dots to 310 dots.  As it turned out on every single day, I already had the hour I added.  I guess 6-7 pm is a  busy time for me. 

Best Answer

I know the month is already started, but I would like to join in for the rest of the month. 

My goals:

Weekdays: 5,000 Weekends: 7,500 

After working at these low goals for awhile I intend to increase the values over time.

Best Answer

Welcome @Maelyn.  It’s Saturday, so 7500 for you then.  🙂

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Mar-9

Average >10K  - Somewhere >12K

Daily 10K - 9/26

Dots - 106/310

Food Tracking - 9/31

Best Answer
0 Votes

New Goal

Rating a person on results for one day at the end of the month is precarious because the variance is so high. On the other hand, a person needs to know the results to judge if the method to achieve the results is working. Since Feb 1, I've kept my routine fairly constant. 

A histogram is more useful to me than a line chart because in the case of body fat percentage, the last day can appear to negate a whole month of gains.

The chart below is a histogram for Feb 1-28. I started in the black bin. Since my goal is to decrease percentage body fat, I wanted to have more days in the bins to the left of the black bin than to the right. This would show that what I'm doing is working.

hist 1.JPG

The chart below is from Feb 1 to Mar 10. I'd like the tallest bin to be to the left of the previous month's tallest bin. This would show that what I'm doing is working and negate the effects of large daily variances.

hist2.JPG

I'll likely reach some limit around 15%. Then I'll focus on other things.

Best Answer

March 10

15K step/day: 10/31
1 pushup/day: 10/31
16 weight-lifting days: 5/16
12 6+hour sleep days: 3/12

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer