Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March Madness -- Monthly Step Challenge

ANSWERED

March Madness -- Monthly Step Challenge

Time for a new monthly challenge.  I may add some variation related to the collage basketball tournament coming up this month in the US, but for now just the standard stuff.

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though we tend to track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

The March Madness Variation.

Will there be one?  I have an idea perculating, but thoughts are welcome.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
203 REPLIES 203

March 10

Avg>10K :>12K

Daily over 10K :  10/26

Dots:116/310 

Food Tracking:  10/31

20K steps yesterday.  I found a pair of shoes that didnt annoy my neuroma, but sadly now i have blisters on the bottom of my feet.  Le sigh.  Should be a high activity day, set strike and stage painting. 

Best Answer

I'm happy today. I added another data point to the far left bin with my body fat at 16.7% down from 18.0% at the beginning of the month and 18.7% at the beginning of February.

scatter fat 3 11 18.JPG

Best Answer

Thats Awesome @GershonSurge!

I knew I would not  make my step goal yesterday Painting and drink beer stops you Smiley Very Happy

March 10

13K steps/day 7/31 <----- Did not make again

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 10/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 10/31

12 weight lifting days 4/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 10/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 4/13

Edit as I was sure I would make my step goal but did not

Busy doing nothing 🙂

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Here is March 11

13K steps/day 9/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 11/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 11/31

12 weight lifting days 4/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 11/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 4/13

Community Council Member

Best Answer

March 11

15K step/day: 11/31
1 pushup/day: 11/31
16 weight-lifting days: 6/16
12 6+hour sleep days: 4/12 -- I feel so alert!  6 hrs 37 min last night 🙂 

Injured my back lifting something unexpectedly heavy about 10 or 15 years ago -- bad enough that I could barely sleep for five straight days.  Eventually it settled down and went back to normal, but, despite targeted exercise, some random movement causes it to reoccur once or twice a year.  That happened today at the gym as I pulled a dumbbell off the rack.  These reoccurring episodes usually pass after a couple of days, but ... ouch!  Thinking there might be more than the typical hour of "awake" time in my sleep record tomorrow.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

12 March

Step goal                  3/5        9/31

Swim                         1/2        3/8

Fitbit Coach/Bike    -/1         2/4

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I added another data point to the column labeled 13. As long as the new data points are to the left of the black bin, I'm happy.

body fat 3 12 18.JPG

Best Answer

March 11

Average:  Is somewhere just over 13K

Daily 10K : 11/26

Dots:127/310 

Food Tracking:11/31

I think the missed dot was a fitbit time change issue.  And in case anyone is interested, painting a stage is about 5K steps.  Might be a little less stepping and a little more arm movement, but the HR is up the whole time, so works for me.

Best Answer

March 12

15K step/day: 12/31
1 pushup/day: 12/31
16 weight-lifting days: 7/16 
12 6+hour sleep days: 4/12

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Catching up:

I started (in my tardy way) on 5 March, and I met my 12 k step goal on 5,6,7,8 March.  

I had fittings in London for a whole team of flower girls for my som's April wedding, so was pretty much (metaphorically) chained to my sewing machine in Friday and Saturday. I ALMOST made my goal on Sunday, but was just too tired to do the last few steps...

I made the 12 k goal for today, so that's a total of 

5/26 (5 out of a possible 8 -- that's a lose: I'll not get those 3 days back this month, but I shall try not to slip any further...)

On the plus side, I am allowed red meat twice a week and I only ate it once (a lunch time ham sandwich).  All other days were veggie or fish.  So that is 

1/6 red meat (low numbers better than high numbers, and for once mean a win)

I am also going to report what is probably only a temporary blip, but on my lose 3 lbs goal I was down .5 this AM, so that is 

.5/ 3

which I am also counting as a win so far.  (Next week I will probably switch to trendweight, which will take thw winds out of my sails, but I am grasping at positives here -- humour me!)

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

March 12

13K steps/day 10/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 12/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 12/31

12 weight lifting days 5/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 12/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 5/13

Community Council Member

Best Answer

March 12

Switching to keeping 28 day average above 10K even though I havent had it 28 days yet.
28 day avg: 12525

daily 10K: 12/26

Dots:138/310

Food Tracking: 12/31

Best Answer

March 13
Steps 10,000/day x 3/15 days
Lifting Weights x 3/15 days
Trampoline 15-min x 3/15 days
Sleep 7+ hours x 3/15 days
Lose 2.5 kg - currently 70.1 kg - 1.5 kg loss

I see I have slipped behind on my day count. Can’t blame it on the devil {this time!}.  Spring fever, better said in Switzerland ‘Frühlings Müdigkeit ... translated:  Spring Tiredness! 😴

Best Answer

March 13

13K steps/day 11/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 13/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 13/31

12 weight lifting days 5/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 13/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 5/13

Community Council Member

Best Answer

March 13

15K step/day: 13/31
1 pushup/day: 13/31
16 weight-lifting days: 7/16 
12 6+hour sleep days: 5/12

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

I added one to the black bin today. Not making much progress the last few days.

hist 3 13 18.JPG

Best Answer

@WendyB - I’ve been meaning to ask you for a long time now: What is an ab roller?

Best Answer
0 Votes

14 March  

Step Goal                  4/5     10/23

Swim                         2/2        4/8

Fitbit Coach/Bike    -/1         2/4

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

March 13

28 day average: 12427

daily 10K 13/26

Dots: 147/310

Food :13/31

Barely made the 10K yesterday.  Over 6 hours of car time yesterday blah. 

My sleep has been horrible.  It started before the time change but 4 out of my last 5 are below 5 hours.  I wake up at 3-4 am and can't get back to sleep. I don't know if it is primarily the time change - if I wake up at 2-3 am I can sometimes fall back to sleep around 4 or 4:30 for an extra hour or so.  I was doing so well for 3 weeks there almost averaging 6:30. 

Best Answer

@Jotex I have had this for years

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Push-up-Equipment-Roller-Abdominal-Exercise-Machine-Multifuntional-Unisex...

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes