Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March Madness -- Monthly Step Challenge

ANSWERED

March Madness -- Monthly Step Challenge

Time for a new monthly challenge.  I may add some variation related to the collage basketball tournament coming up this month in the US, but for now just the standard stuff.

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though we tend to track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

The March Madness Variation.

Will there be one?  I have an idea perculating, but thoughts are welcome.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
203 REPLIES 203

March 14

15K step/day: 14/31
1 pushup/day: 14/31
16 weight-lifting days: 8/16 
12 6+hour sleep days: 5/12

@Ennay -- Even on the days I've been over or near my 6 hour goal, I've had about an hour of "awake" time.  Because I generally get up between 4:30 and 5:30 my dogs tend reinforce my natural inclination to get up around then regardless of when I go to sleep.  (They, of course, have plenty of time to make up for it by sleeping in the afternoon once the mail has come ...).  To compensate I try to get to bed by 9PM, on those days when I have to get up at 4:45, but those night always have more wake up periods than when I go to bed between 10PM to midnight.  

Glad I don't have to drive in the afternoons.  Very often find myself nodding off on the train ride home from DC 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Put one in the left bin today with 16.7% fat. That's the lowest since the start.

I added another chart that shows the time progression as well as the percent body fat. It predicts 28 days ahead, too. (Predicting is easy; being right is harder.)

hist 3 14 18.JPG

Best Answer

March 14

13K steps/day 12/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 14/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 14/31

12 weight lifting days 6/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 14/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 6/13

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Thanks for the link to the Ab Roller, @WendyB. A picture IS worth 1,000 words. 😊

{Edited - not awake yet.]

Best Answer
0 Votes

3/14

Average 12,474

Daily 10K - 14/26

Dots - 158/310

Food - 14/26

Yesterday was the first day I missed a dot because the watch buzzed and I started to get up and said.  Nope. 

@Baltoscott- yeah I usually have 45-60 minutes of awake time in my sleep time, but fitbit subtracts that.   I can't go to bed much earlier than 10:30 or it makes it too difficult the weeks I work until 11pm
Last night I think I fell asleep quickly, but got woken up at 2:30 because my daughter got up.  She is usually the first one up in the morning and I have to be up early today (not THIS early, its still only 4:30 now) but I heard her and thought she was getting up for school and by the time I realized it was 2:30 I was AWAKE. 

Then I stayed awake because of anxiety.  I run a non-profit theatre and our big gala is this weekend and our wine server bailed on us and we have a board meeting tonight and the location got cancelled so I have to find a new one and and and....Sometimes I get up when this happens and just knock some of it off the list but everything on my to-do list requires dealing with other people and businesses that are not awake.  Plus the music from the kids musical we just closed is drilling through my brain.  GAAAH

Anyway back to workouts.  I tried to start a weights routine again yesterday with just body weight stuff and my bad knee gave out on just body weight squats.  Not ready yet, more PT to be had.  Sigh.

Best Answer

@WendyBwrote:

@Jotex I have had this for years

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Push-up-Equipment-Roller-Abdominal-Exercise-Machine-Multifuntional-Unisex...

I’m pretty sure the Geneva Convention outlawed that thing @WendyB.  It is modeled on a midieval torture device, right? Smiley Tongue

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

ROFLMAO @Baltoscott I keep it cuz it works like the ones in the gym. I loved those when I had a gym membership. 

Community Council Member

Best Answer

15 March

Step Goal                  1/5     11/23

Swim                         1/2        5/8

Fitbit Coach/Bike    -/1         2/4

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

March 15

13K steps/day 13/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 15/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 15/31

12 weight lifting days 6/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 15/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 6/13

Community Council Member

Best Answer

March 15
Steps 10,000/day x 4/15 days
Lifting Weights x 4/15 days
Trampoline 15-min x 4/15 days
Sleep 7+ hours x 4/15 days
Lose 2.5 kg - currently 69 kg - 1.1 kg loss

Silly me, I have so far this month followed the “all or nothing” reporting on my goals. In fact, I have managed 7+ hours’ sleep most days. Not usually in one go, but cumulative. This morning I got up at 4 because I was awake, but went back to bed at 5:30 and slept another hour and 18 minutes. Well, might as well keep it up seeing we’re in the middle of the month. Sorry for you @Baltoscott and @Ennay who have those grueling schedules. Been there, done that. Hang in there!

{Apologies for editing. I had corrected a typo but it was wrong when it posted.}

Best Answer

Well hello 2:30 am

March 15

Avg: 12614

>10K:  15/26

Dots:169/310

food tracking:15/31

Best Answer

16 March

Step Goal                  2/5     12/23

Fitbit Coach/Bike    -/1         2/4

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

March 16

13K steps/day 14/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 16/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 16/31

12 weight lifting days 7/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 16/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 7/13

Community Council Member

Best Answer

March 16

15K step/day: 16/31
1 pushup/day: 16/31
16 weight-lifting days: 9/16 
12 6+hour sleep days: 6/12

My cheer squad was well-fed yesterday and inspired KU to win their first round game against Penn yesterday.  Next up, Seton Hall.  

Meanwhile, I took Thur/Fri off and have been watching basketball non-stop since yesterday around noon (with short walking breaks bike trips to the gym in the morning).   

March Madness 2018March Madness 2018

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@BaltoscottLook at all those cute kids! Who is the third one? Cali, JayHawk and?

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Left to right it is Hawthorne, Jayhawk, and Cali.  

At 15, Hawthorne is the old guy in the household and has been in the doggie version of depends for about a year now.  His back end doesn't work like it used to, but he can still bunny hop up the stairs when it's bedtime -- which for him is about 8 pm LOL

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Hawthorne! I forgot about him 😁. They all look happy. You can tell they love thier Dad .😁

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

Lovely photo @Baltoscott ☺

17 March  Happy St Pat's day everyone!

Step Goal                  2/5     12/23

Fitbit Coach/Bike    1/1         3/4

Community Council Member

Best Answer

March 16 - 12260

28 day Average 12600

>10K:  16/26

Dots: 181/310

Food tracking: 16/31

8000 of the steps were taking auction items from the lobby of the theatre to the tables around the stage and back to get another basket.  😛  Designed lights for the musical revue without knowing the staging or being familiar with 2/3 of the songs and only had to tweak 3 cues mostly for positioning the spotlight.  That was pretty cool.  I wish i had a camera that could really take pictures of stage lighting, I managed to make a tie-dyed backdrop and I didn't know I could do that.  Only 15 more hours and then maybe I will start sleeping again.

Best Answer

@Ennay That sounds awesome! Wish you could take pictures

Community Council Member

Best Answer