Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March Madness -- Monthly Step Challenge

ANSWERED

March Madness -- Monthly Step Challenge

Time for a new monthly challenge.  I may add some variation related to the collage basketball tournament coming up this month in the US, but for now just the standard stuff.

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though we tend to track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

The March Madness Variation.

Will there be one?  I have an idea perculating, but thoughts are welcome.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
203 REPLIES 203

25 March  Oh boy I have been sick again and felt so bad (third time in about 6 weeks), but I think I have worked out what is setting me off now. I have been lactose intollerent for a few years and drink soy milk and really enjoy soy milk cappuccino etc etc and I think it is the soy ☹. So im now on a no soy diet and see how it goes (but I dont like almond milk so much, grumble grumble .....). So reached my step goal today for the first time for a few days.☺

Step Goal                 1/5     17/23

Swim                         1/2        7/8

Fitbit Coach/Bike    -/1         4/4

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @WendyB and @Ennay for the congrats; and @GershonSurge — will gladly wait for your best tips on weight training to lose the ‘love handles’. Only if / when you have time. More later. 😊

Best Answer

@NellyG - so sorry to hear you’ve been ill again, but happy that you know what brought it on. I am also sensitive to lactose, so buy lactose free milk. I can take milk, even ice cream* in small doses, infrequently. {*HAS to be Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie! 😍} I tried soy and almond milk, and coconut milk even but they were not the answer. Good luck on your new diet!

Best Answer
0 Votes

March 25

15K step/day: 25/31
1 pushup/day: 25/31
16 weight-lifting days: 13/16 
12 6+hour sleep days: 9/12

The dogs are trying to break me -- barking to go out at 5:30 am.  But, got em out and fed and slipped back to bed for another hour of mostly sleep.  Fitbit gave me credit for 7 hours which look spectacular next to last week's 5hr 38min average.  Steps are done and I settling for a couple more basketball games to see who the last two teams for the Final Four will be.  Hoping Kansas is one of them!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

March 25

We moved! I did not think I would make steps today bit I did! Woot

13K steps/day 22/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 25/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 25/31

12 weight lifting days 11/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 25/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 11/13

Changed steps as they were off. Cant seem to remember how many days I missed 🙂

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

26 March

Step Goal                 2/5     18/23

Swim                         1/2        7/8

@Jotex I wish I could handle lactose free dairy foods but the lactaid makes me quesy, though I'm  told it is probably not the lactaid itsself, but something it is mixed with. Oh well, thats life. Still loads of things I enjoy - my new favourite food is Nutella! And yes, I know it has milk in it but the amount I eat seems to be fine - it stops me indulging too much anyway 🤣🤣

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

March 25 - 16590

28Day average - 13511

Days>10K - 25/26

Dots:  278/310

Food 25/31

Weird day yesterday.  I got most of my steps in early before the brunch and then I just started feeling weird.  Felt off the rest of the day, probably the lack of sleep.  Second Lowest dots day .  Unusual for me to get 14000 by 11 and then barely get more.

Despite waking up at 3:45 am  I could NOT get to sleep last night and finally took an ambien a little after midnight.  It was my first Ambien on fitbit.  They always say you dont get good sleep, I got more deep sleep than average (assuming this is in any way accurate) but very very little REM sleep.  I thought it was interesting that while normally 90% of my deep sleep is in the first two hours, last night it was in the later part of sleep.  Still woke up before 5:30 so running on under 6 again. 

The truck I borrowed so I wouldnt have to rent a car stalled while backing it out of the driveway last night.  Had to call some friends to help me push it back up into the driveway and I am going to pay $400 to rent a car.  grrr.

Walking to work this morning and back before going to get the car, so that should be about 7-8000 steps.

Best Answer

March 26
Steps 10,000/day x 9/15 days
Lifting Weights x 8/15 days
Trampoline 15-min x 8/15 days
Sleep 7+ hours x 9/15 days
Lose 2.5 kg - currently 68.9kg - only 1.2 kg loss (really need to lose more this week to reach my goal!) 

Best Answer

March 26

13K steps/day 25/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 26/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 26/31

12 weight lifting days 12/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 26/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 12/13

Community Council Member

Best Answer

March 26

15K step/day: 26/31
1 pushup/day: 26/31
16 weight-lifting days: 14/16
12 6+hour sleep days: 10/12

Wow, and yet another 6+ hour sleep day!

Sorry to hear about the truck/car saga @Ennay.  Good excuse for a walk to work, though.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

27 March

Step Goal                 3/5     19/23

Swim                         2/2        8/8

Community Council Member

Best Answer

March 26 16346

28 day Average - 13640

>10K  - 26/26  COMPLETE

Dots - 290/310

Food 26/31

Weird day yesterday - was super depressed and then suddenly was fine.  I think it was a food/sleep thing.

Best Answer

@EnnaySorry to hear about the car/truck situation Smiley Sad

March 27

13K steps/day 26/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 27/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 27/31

12 weight lifting days 12/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 27/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 12/13

Community Council Member

Best Answer

March 27

15K step/day: 27/31
1 pushup/day: 27/31
16 weight-lifting days: 14/16

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

March 27 - 18635

28 day average: 13857

>10K -27/26

Dots:299/310

Food 27/31

ARRRRGH I am really getting tired of waking up at 3:30 am. 

Best Answer

28 March

Step Goal                 4/5     20/23

Swim                         2/2        8/8

Community Council Member

Best Answer

March 28

13K steps/day 26/31

Exercise bike 40 minutes/day 28/31

Boxing 30 Minutes/day 28/31

12 weight lifting days 13/13

Stomach exercises 200 a day with Ab roller 28/31

13 days Yoga/Pilates 13/13

Post early as I know I wont make steps today. Its Hubby's Birthday and we are off to Sierra Nevada Brewery for lunch and maybe a tour if its offered during the week. 3 hours in the car.

Community Council Member

Best Answer

March 28

15K step/day: 28/31
1 pushup/day: 28/31
16 weight-lifting days: 15/16

@Ennay -- so far my sleep issues are a little different than yours.  Instead of getting up too early (well it's always too early, but earlier than I have to), I'm getting to bed too late.  I'm aiming for 9 pm tonight!  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Well, I took today off.  I weeded my garden for a couple hours which gives very few steps and then the allergies hit me like a tidal wave and I went in and took a big nap.  This should be interesting for getting to sleep tonight as I also broke the rule and had coffee at about 4 pm.  But I have been getting to bed earlier and earlier and it isn't good. 

I'm feeling guilty as i have a tendency to be a couch potato and in the back of my mind fear that I wont start again tomorrow.  But I MUST.

Also, the rental car that I paid so much for has not yet left my garage.  sigh.  At least i have to pick up a ham tomorrow.  That is one pricey ham

Best Answer

@Ennay We all need a day off. Sorry to hear about the allergies. They have hit me harder this year than normal. 

Community Council Member

Best Answer