Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum steps per minute?

OK ,I have been bothered by this for a long time but finally seem to have a pattern.   My FitBit HR gives me a maximum step count of between 90-100 steps a minute no matter what I am doing.

Most of the thime that is OK except now that I am in better shape and starting to walk faster or run I am getting about 1,500 - 1,700 steps per mile rather than the actual 2,000 or so it really takes me. 

More than that when running I am only seeing 50-75% of my steps tracked.  

This is not a world ending problem but it is frustrating since the MOST steps per hour I can log is around 6,000 and that is a frustration when I see others somehow logging 10-15k per hour in challenges.  Even if I taped my fitbit HR to the small dog and towed him behind me on my walks I would still not get those numbers.   What am I doing wrong?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Have you adjusted your stride length, both for walking and running, in the setup profile. If you are using the default based on your height and age, it probably isn't accurate. Count your steps in a marked distance, such as 1/10th mile, for both walking an running, and the divide your steps into the distance to get an accurate measure. Once you've done that, adjust the settings in your profile.

Best Answer

@mlaccs

I'd recommend trying a restart. (Instructions at this link; be sure to select the instructions for your particular tracker)

Your Fitbit should handle step counts well over 100 per minute. I keep a spreadsheet and that's one of the numbers I figure from my walks. Here's a recent snipped from my "steps per minute" column, with a high of 142.4.

SebringDon | Florida USA | Fitbit's Food Plan Demystified

Charge HR, Flex | Windows 10 | Android | iPad

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mlaccs wrote:

Most of the thime that is OK except now that I am in better shape and starting to walk faster or run I am getting about 1,500 - 1,700 steps per mile rather than the actual 2,000 or so it really takes me. 

I'm curious; how do you know you're taking 2,000 steps per mile when you run?  I ask because that it more typical of a walking pace and 1,500-1,700 is pretty typical for a runner.  In my case, when I go for a really long slow run I typically average around 1,600 steps in a mile, however, on a shorter/faster run, say a 5K race, my steps per mile drops to around 1,200.

Best Answer
0 Votes