Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimalist Or Barefoot Running

Has anyone every tried minimalist or barefoot running?

I am doing minimalist running now and have done 4 sessions so far. I am easing into it slowly, doing 1 minute run, 4 minute walk intervals. On the run intervals I am really trying to focus on my form. I am striking with my forefoot and letting my foot & lower leg muscles act as a lever to absorb most of the impact. I am taking shorter strides with higher cadence (trying to stay close to 180 spm).

So far I hardly feel any of the stress on my joints like i did before (heel striking), but I can really feel the muscles in my feet & lower legs.

I think this has a lot of merit, and makes a lot of sense.

Shoes are like keeping your feet in casts, and cause your feet to not do what feet are supposed to do, because the shoes are doing the work for us.

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

@bcalvanese  I would never try running or walking outside without shoes on.  One: shoes protect your feet from injury from objects on the surface you choose to run or walk on.  Two:  Without shoes with a good arch support the only thing that helps maintain your transverse arch is the Plantar Fascia and the Tibialis Posterior tendon.  This sounds a lot like the theory that wearing glasses actually make your eyes weaker and the claim from some company that they can strengthen your eyes by purchasing their program and then throw away your glasses.  Explain how the shoes are doing what work for us.  Years ago there was a fad called Earth Shoes with a heel that was lower than the sole that was supposed to cure all our foot, leg and back problems, the fad didn't last.  Good luck on your minimalist trial, and watch where you run and walk.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corneywrote:

@bcalvanese  I would never try running or walking outside without shoes on.  One: shoes protect your feet from injury from objects on the surface you choose to run or walk on.  Two:  Without shoes with a good arch support the only thing that helps maintain your transverse arch is the Plantar Fascia and the Tibialis Posterior tendon.  This sounds a lot like the theory that wearing glasses actually make your eyes weaker and the claim from some company that they can strengthen your eyes by purchasing their program and then throw away your glasses.  Explain how the shoes are doing what work for us.  Years ago there was a fad called Earth Shoes with a heel that was lower than the sole that was supposed to cure all our foot, leg and back problems, the fad didn't last.  Good luck on your minimalist trial, and watch where you run and walk.

I think shoes keep our feet from being able to function normally, and will argue that they are the reason for most foot problems.

If you slowly strengthen your feet, you will most likely correct them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bcalvanese  I read 4 research articles on walking running without shoes.  Their data found no improvement in intrinsic muscle strength in feet and no improvement in strength or height in the transverse arch.  They did find that walking running on soft surfaces did increase the incidence of hyper-pronation which is the main cause of Plantar Fasciitis.  Their main concern was  injuries occuring when a person steps on objects like rocks, twigs or broken glass.  Have a good day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bcalvanese  The problem with your article and theory is the statement " I think shoes keep our feet from being able to function normally".  You have no research to back that statement up, some would argue that for some people proper shoes help their feet function normally, I know in my case the proper shoes and an Orthotic cured my Plantar Fasciitis and I am still symptom free because the time I go barefoot is limited to my time in the shower and the time it takes me to get out of bed and get into my sandals with a good arch support.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bcalvanese,

Phil Maffetone talks about this at length in "The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing Kindle Edition." He has been around since the early 80's and has done tones of quality research in high tech labs. He recommends bare feet or at least pulling out the insoles.

Personally, I'm a believer in soft heel striking for my level of ability. I have watched elite runners quite closely in YouTube videos and many of them do strike with the forefoot. It's hard to see except in very slow motion.

You've been around long enough to avoid serious injury. I do suggest progressing slowly, but you already knew that.

Good to see you around more often.

@Corney,

If you read four research reports, why not post the links? 

Best Answer

@Corneywrote:

@bcalvanese  The problem with your article and theory is the statement " I think shoes keep our feet from being able to function normally".  You have no research to back that statement up, some would argue that for some people proper shoes help their feet function normally, I know in my case the proper shoes and an Orthotic cured my Plantar Fasciitis and I am still symptom free because the time I go barefoot is limited to my time in the shower and the time it takes me to get out of bed and get into my sandals with a good arch support.

If you read the first 2 words of my statement, it says... "I think".

That means it is something that I think, and I don't need any research to think something.

Answer this question.

Why have people been walking and running barefoot for a couple million years (or how ever long) over just about every terrain on the planet?

Since people invented shoes until now is a minute fraction of the time compared to the time they didn't have shoes.

I'd almost be willing to bet that all these foot problems did not start until the invention of shoes.

I'm sorry you have foot issues, but even at an older age (I am 60), I think there may be a good chance you could improve your condition by doing some barefoot therapeutic things.

And again... "I think".

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurgewrote:

@bcalvanese,

Phil Maffetone talks about this at length in "The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing Kindle Edition." He has been around since the early 80's and has done tones of quality research in high tech labs. He recommends bare feet or at least pulling out the insoles.

Personally, I'm a believer in soft heel striking for my level of ability. I have watched elite runners quite closely in YouTube videos and many of them do strike with the forefoot. It's hard to see except in very slow motion.

You've been around long enough to avoid serious injury. I do suggest progressing slowly, but you already knew that.

Good to see you around more often.

@Corney,

If you read four research reports, why not post the links? 

Thanks,

I just think there are too many things that make too much sense to not give this a try. I plan on taking at least a year to slowly work myself into this. To me, it will be like learning to run (and walk) all over again, and I know it's not going to be a pleasant journey, but i think it will pay off in the long run.

I am looking at it as though I have been wearing casts on my feet all my life, and now the casts are off, and I have to slowly build my strength up.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@bcalvanese: I think not. How do you know that Humans millions of years
ago didn't suffer from foot problems. Yes they went without shoes because
they didn't have a choice. But I agree some of the shoes people wear like
high heels contribute to foot and back problems, and some individuals
choose shoes because of fashion and fads rather than function, but to say
that shoes contribute to most of our foot problems is assuming too much. I
will check back with you in a few months and see if you still think the
same way. Have a good day.
Best Answer
0 Votes